F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing dealer has "no idea" of in-service date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

When I check cold, I always get "unavailable"

Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Have you tried without actually starting the car, just by pressing start with your foot off the brake? That works for me, as well as checking warm ten minutes after shutting down the engine.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Have you tried without actually starting the car, just by pressing start with your foot off the brake? That works for me, as well as checking warm ten minutes after shutting down the engine.
Yes, that is what I do. But if the car is cold, I only get "unavailable". Even if I tap "cancel" twice, I still only get unavailable.
If I go through the manual steps: warm the car, wait 10 minutes. Then I get the level.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Interesting. From cold I get "underfilled" because I'm parked on a slope - it reads "OK" when checked on level ground. My previous XKR said "unavailable" on the same slope.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Interesting. From cold I get "underfilled" because I'm parked on a slope - it reads "OK" when checked on level ground. My previous XKR said "unavailable" on the same slope.
That is something that must have been fixed on later model years. I've tried all the above directions in different combinations and patterns, and alas, when cold, I only "unavailable"
I'm going to try again on the next full moon, that might make a difference

The following users liked this post:
scm (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

"I'm going to try again on the next full moon, that might make a difference."
Only works if simultaneously swinging a paper bag with a dead black cat inside.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
"I'm going to try again on the next full moon, that might make a difference."
Only works if simultaneously swinging a paper bag with a dead black cat inside.
Tried that, didn't work. Please don't tell my wife

Old 09-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 503 Likes on 375 Posts

Paul,

The service manual says to select engine oil display. Then press the Cruise Control Cancel button twice within 2 seconds to display the live reading of the Engine Oil Level.
(Page 2410, steps 9 - 13)

See if that works for you.

Farther down, (step 15 - 18) the process for updating the AVERAGE oil level is described. Perhaps your car doesn't have enough 'history' to display that?

(I was just looking for the method of replacing/checking ATF when I ran across that) WHEW

Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Paul,

The service manual says to select engine oil display. Then press the Cruise Control Cancel button twice within 2 seconds to display the live reading of the Engine Oil Level.
(Page 2410, steps 9 - 13)

See if that works for you.

Farther down, (step 15 - 18) the process for updating the AVERAGE oil level is described. Perhaps your car doesn't have enough 'history' to display that?

(I was just looking for the method of replacing/checking ATF when I ran across that) WHEW
Thanks. That is what I've been doing. Accessory only. Engine oil display. Cruise Control Cancel button = "unavailable"
Also tried with the hood open. Then tried with the door open. Then both hood and door. Always using the cancel button (twice within 2 sec.) Always get "unavailable" when cold.

The car has 30K miles, so I assume it has enough history. Unless they wiped it when they did the CPO.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

That is normal.
1. The ONLY way to get a reading without running the car is to NOT start the car but rather to simply press the START button without your foot on the pedal. Then toggle through with your drivers side door CLOSED to see what your COLD oil level is.
2. If you start is and drive for a while, like 10-20 minutes you still cannot get a reading. You have to wait another 10 or 15 minutes AFTER you have turned the car off and go back and read it again. Yeah, pretty stupid method as few of us are going to remember, or want, to go back out in the garage 10 minutes after we get home. We are busy people with other priorities that to remember we have to go back out to the car to check the FREAKING oil levels! Shesh... LOL
3. Use the other method of releasing the front hood/bonnet, press start (with foot OFF brake so that the car does not actually start), toggle through to Oil Level & then hit Cancel TWICE. If you release the hood AFTER you press start it won't work. If the drivers side door is closed, it will say "un-available". You have to do all of #3 with the drivers side door OPEN

The following 2 users liked this post by ndabunka:
Carbuff2 (09-21-2018), Paul champagne (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
That is normal.
1. The ONLY way to get a reading without running the car is to NOT start the car but rather to simply press the START button without your foot on the pedal. Then toggle through with your drivers side door CLOSED to see what your COLD oil level is.
2. If you start is and drive for a while, like 10-20 minutes you still cannot get a reading. You have to wait another 10 or 15 minutes AFTER you have turned the car off and go back and read it again. Yeah, pretty stupid method as few of us are going to remember, or want, to go back out in the garage 10 minutes after we get home. We are busy people with other priorities that to remember we have to go back out to the car to check the FREAKING oil levels! Shesh... LOL
3. Use the other method of releasing the front hood/bonnet, press start (with foot OFF brake so that the car does not actually start), toggle through to Oil Level & then hit Cancel TWICE. If you release the hood AFTER you press start it won't work. If the drivers side door is closed, it will say "un-available". You have to do all of #3 with the drivers side door OPEN
OK, I started over, following the steps you listed. Tried #1 (door closed) It worked
Tried #3 (open hood before pressing START), door OPEN, Cancel twice.: yes, it also worked

It should not be that difficult. But BIG Thank You for listing the steps so clearly

ndabunka (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

OK, I started over, following the steps you listed. Tried #1 (door closed) It worked
Tried #3 (open hood before pressing START), door OPEN, Cancel twice.: yes, it also worked

It should not be that difficult. But BIG Thank You for listing the steps so clearly
Glad to hear. Please click on the "THANKS!" button at the bottom of that post above if you don't mind. It will help others find it

Old 09-21-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 503 Likes on 375 Posts

Difficult, you say? Thank goodness the procedure doesn't require rubbing your tummy while patting your head.

OR is it, patting your tummy while rubbing your head????

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Difficult, you say? Thank goodness the procedure doesn't require rubbing your tummy while patting your head.

OR is it, patting your tummy while rubbing your head????
You gotta be careful these days as those actions could land you in jail as not everyone appreciates dexterity
OH! You meant YOUR OWN belly & head.
Would someone tells the Hooters girl I mis-understood the "Internet Challenge"...
is led away in handcuffs.....
by the Hooters girl for a more private session...

Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 AM

OK, now that actually made me LOL

ndabunka (09-21-2018)