Sponsored by:

Should I buy this Jag? :Canada BC : Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Should I buy this Jag? :Canada BC : Vancouver

Hi,

https://wwwa.autotrader.ca/ico/jagua...206X5&sprx=100
I went and checked this out jag out yesterday. Everything is good, expect 3 minor paint chips. I really don't like the interior but for a good price I willing to look past it. She will be daily drive for me.

Concerns:
RWD> I live in BC Vancouver, we get wet/snow months roughly 6 months out of 12. I should be fine driving RWD, just have to drive carefully and not speed etc. Never driving RWD with this much hp before. But I highly doubt its an issue but I would like some feedback from people who have driven the RWD in less to ideal conditions.

Car is driven 31,000 KM in Alberta which is a snowy place so do i need to worry about rust? I am getting Jaguar to inspect, just some thoughts on this would be good.

Price: I think the seller is willing to let it go for $ 46k -47k Canadian. Is this a good price for this car?
Here are Canada Autotrader for F type in my area,
https://wwwa.autotrader.ca/cars/jagu...ladid=64218291

Carfax
https://vhr.carfax.ca/main?id=mP%2b4...usWyQxvnDpXH0x
It has lien but the seller will remove using the funds from the sale of the car.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I recommend against RWD low-clearance high-HP car for winter driving. If you want to buy F-type you need to also budget for a winter beater for snow days.

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
Jagged Wire (05-29-2019), Lavitz (05-28-2019), mv007F (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:49 AM

Well in the 12 months it snowed here for 2 weeks. The roads were bad for 2 days out of the say 14 days. It can drive through slush? long as it can clear it?

Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Yes. You can put it in rain/snow mode to make the throttle much less responsive. Makes it more difficult to accidentally spin the tires.

Car is mostly aluminum, so rust doesn’t seem to be much of an issue. No issue for me after 6 years, but I don’t drive mine in the winter.

The following users liked this post:
Lavitz (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavitz
Well in the 12 months it snowed here for 2 weeks. The roads were bad for 2 days out of the say 14 days. It can drive through slush? long as it can clear it?
Absolutely. Just put the proper tires on for cold temps.

Lavitz (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

I should really ask GGG (Hi G!) to make this a sticky (since so many people post very similar questions re winter driving).

I have a 2015 F-Type V6S Coupe for over 4 1/2 years and have driven it - in a spirited and thoughtful manner - throughout the year. In, yes, Maine winters. Snow, sleet, rain, ice...you name it, I’ve driven it. (And while I’m not foolish enough to take it in the middle of a snowstorm, I have gotten caught out in one...or two). For 3 1/2 years - and 3 winters - I have used Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06’s and they have performed flawlessly. I couldn’t ask for a better all-around/all-season tire and, no, I have zero affiliation with Continental other than being an extremely satisfied customer. Add their Total Confidence Plan (see link below) and what’s not to love? Or drive your F-Type in Winter!

https://www.continentaltire.com/warranty

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-28-2019 at 06:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Lavitz (05-29-2019), Mahjik (05-29-2019), sparky fuze (05-28-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback thus far, I am leaning towards making an offer today. What do you guys think I should pay for the car? What are somethings I should consider when coming to a price point;

Car is:
2015 so its got a few years
Its rwd
there small pain chip damage pea size to a grain
Market for resale on a jag isnt the best
With 2020s coming out id imagine there will more competition to sell the old ones.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback thus far, I am leaning towards making an offer today. What do you guys think I should pay for the car? What are somethings I should consider when coming to a price point;

Car is:
2015 so its got a few years
Its rwd
there small pain chip damage pea size to a grain
Market for resale on a jag isnt the best
With 2020s coming out id imagine there will more competition to sell the old ones.
In order:
1) And your point is? Many here, including me, believe the early models offer the best “look”, as later years changed one or two things (and some believe not improving the looks). If it’s in good or better yet great condition, I’m all for a 2015.

2) RWD is actually preferred by many here. Some believe that any “sports car” (although I consider the F-Type to be more a Grand Tourer than a sports car; not that it doesn’t have characteristics of one) should be RWD. I love that my 2015 V6S is RWD.

3) Sounds like whatever small “damage” there is is rather negligible. So I wouldn’t worry about that and if it is minor, any good body guy - familiar with aluminum - should be able to correct.

4) You’re probably right about resale values. Then again, those of us who intend to keep our cars forever, or for a long time, really don’t care about that.

5) Here again you are, or should be, quite right. With 2020’s coming one would think (operative word being “think”) dealers would be willing to sell earlier models more aggressively.

Lastly, I go back to your OP and “not liking” the interior. To my thinking, no price - regardless of how great - would justify my buying a car without something as important as the interior being exactly to, or damn close, my liking. Much less loving. Why settle? I certainly wouldn’t.

Others can chime in what price makes sense.

Good luck!

Jagged Wire (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
In order:

Lastly, I go back to your OP and “not liking” the interior. To my thinking, no price - regardless of how great - would justify my buying a car without something as important as the interior being exactly to, or damn close, my liking. Much less loving. Why settle? I certainly wouldn’t.

Others can chime in what price makes sense.

Good luck!
That point exactly is what making this difficult. I want either all black or black/red or variation with something black. But this is a private seller, who needs the money, so I would be able to get the vehicle cheap. I am on a budget so that's why I have to give up something if the price right.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:15 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

At the end of the day it's your call on what the car is worth to you, and whether you think the interior is something that'll grow on you, or will irritate the hell out of you every time you get in. When I bought my 2010 XKR I wanted a dark interior (I hate white/ivory/oatmeal) but the one I found had a caramel interior, light brown. I grew to love it over time and was sad when it went for the F-Type (but not sad for long!). My F-Type has a black interior with black and red seat, just what you're after, ironically.

Lavitz (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by scm
At the end of the day it's your call on what the car is worth to you, and whether you think the interior is something that'll grow on you, or will irritate the hell out of you every time you get in. When I bought my 2010 XKR I wanted a dark interior (I hate white/ivory/oatmeal) but the one I found had a caramel interior, light brown. I grew to love it over time and was sad when it went for the F-Type (but not sad for long!). My F-Type has a black interior with black and red seat, just what you're after, ironically.

That's so perfect, I just prefer that contrast. Ugh, I have to decide by the end of the week cuz I would like the car by the weekend. :S Any comments on the price fellas?

Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Lavitz, is having the seats reupholstered an option?

Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Any comments on the price fellas?
I think your priorities on price are misplaced. Have you took this car for an independent pre-purchase inspection? What did inspection report say?

Old 05-29-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

That point exactly is what making this difficult. I want either all black or black/red or variation with something black. But this is a private seller, who needs the money, so I would be able to get the vehicle cheap. I am on a budget so that's why I have to give up something if the price right.
Being that the interior is where you “live”, I certainly wouldn’t settle (as I said in my previous post). [And the thought of reupholstering the seats/interior is a non-starter in my book]. I suggest continuing your quest and get something which not only suits you but makes you happy each and every time you enter your F-Type. Hopefully you know yourself well enough (you’d be surprised how many people don’t) to determine whether it [the interior] is something you can live with and “learn” to like/love. But why? I KNOW full well there are plenty of colors and color combinations - gorgeous as many are - which I could simply not live with or learn to like/love no matter what. But I know that. And as far as budgets go, F&^% budgets...you only live once.

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
jaguny (05-29-2019), scm (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I love my red/black interior and could not compromise.