F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As a tall buy with long legs, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default As a tall buy with long legs, help!

I admit, I'm not a Jaguar owner at the moment. I really want to own a 2015 F-type R, but my height is a problem. I'm used to a full sized sedan where getting in and out is easy and the legs are extended well past 90 degrees.

When I got into the F-type I immediately felt cocooned...not in a terrible way, but i could tell that the pedal position would become uncomfortable for me while driving. Is there any way to move the pedals further back with dealer adjustment or after-market parts?

I appreciate any information, but I'm not looking for comments along the lines of "you'll just get used to it." I'm 6' 3" and 270 lbs by the way.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as im aware you wouldn't be able to adjust the pedal position.

Hopefully someone else can backup me up on this as im just making an assumption from how it looks.

This car ain't exactly ideal for the taller person as you will also have a blind spot where your rear view mirror is, if you can't get the seat low enough.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStrategist
I admit, I'm not a Jaguar owner at the moment. I really want to own a 2015 F-type R, but my height is a problem. I'm used to a full sized sedan where getting in and out is easy and the legs are extended well past 90 degrees.

When I got into the F-type I immediately felt cocooned...not in a terrible way, but i could tell that the pedal position would become uncomfortable for me while driving. Is there any way to move the pedals further back with dealer adjustment or after-market parts?

I appreciate any information, but I'm not looking for comments along the lines of "you'll just get used to it." I'm 6' 3" and 270 lbs by the way.
I'm 6' 2-1/2" and 255.
I felt the same feeling as you my first time in and out of the F-Type Coupe.
Oddly, the posted leg room in the F-Type is 2" greater than the posted leg room in my previous car, a Mercedes... but I can assure you those posted numbers are either inaccurate, or they reflect the distance to the firewall, not the pedals. I was definitely able to extend my legs more while driving the Benz, and straighten the bend in my knees a few more degrees.

However, I loved the F-type in so many other ways, I forced myself it make it work. Finding the right seat position is key!!! The structural aluminum bulkhead immediately behind the seats contributes to the problem and it cannot be changed (would be nice if Jaguar reengineered the chassis and relocated this bulkhead further back by 2 - 3 inches). Adjusting the seat is tricky... one needs to first tilt the seat back a bit forward so it does not prematurely impact the bulkhead. Next, adjust the seat bottom all the way down, then slide the bottom as far back as it will travel; With the seat bottom now in the rear-most position, then tilt the seat back till it is firmly against the bulkhead.

There are some limits built into the seat motors that will occasionally trigger an automatic correction of the seat position if the sensors feel you have placed the seat in a compromising position. With some practice, you'll learn how to avoid or work around these bounce-back limits.

Getting the seat right has made my time behind the wheel workable. Not as comfortable as my previous car, but definitely workable. My legs are far straighter than 90 degrees, but I did have to force myself to acclimate to a slighter greater bend in my knees than I was accustom to.

The second issue you mention is getting in and out of the vehicle. I quickly identified this an attribute of driving a sleek, low-slung sports car... Getting into the F-Type definitely requires a bit of trunk twisting contortion that I was not used to. Even after a year and a half of ownership, I still find manipulating my large frame into this car a bit of a challenge, HOWEVER, the driving experience and enjoyment from behind the wheel makes it all worth it!!!

Some of your eventual comfort will depend on whether your length is more from your hips down, or your torso up.
I too would be interested to hear if anyone finds there is latitude to reposition the pedals...

Last edited by IronMike; 06-05-2016 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheStrategist (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The bounce back that IronMike is referring to can be as much 1-2". You can maximize the seat position through trial and error. Tapping the back button rather than holding it while the back rest is upright seems achieve the maximum rearward position. Then you can lean the seat back as far as it will go without a bounce back.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Also where the thinnest sole shoes you have. I bought a pair of thick soled work boots and I notice the loss of length. I'm 6-1 and change. Also my 4E width workboot barely clears the brake pedal.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not mean to offend but the 275 is probably more of the problem than the 6' 3" and you will most likely always feel cramped. I am 6' 3", 200, with long legs and I have no trouble getting into a comfortable position with my '16 R Coupe. Entering the car is no problem although exiting does require some multi-stage rotating, turning and contorting but it is no worse than other low sports cars. I have the cut steering wheel so that helps too. It is what it is and it works for me.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

I think you'd overcome your reservations. I'd suggest a 'vert.

Meanwhile, I couldn't help but remember my Lotus Europa JPS. I had to drive it with my shoes off because I could hit the clutch, brake, AND accelerator with one foot - and there just wasn't a lot of real estate between the clutch and the wheel well.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I was worried about fitting because I'm 6'4 but surprisingly I was comfortable. It took several tries to adjust the seat because it kept going to the limit and then goo in the opposite direction. I'm used to getting in and out of low cars because I have a BMW 650i. I have more leg room in the 650i but I'm planning to buy a f-type or 911 later this year .

Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Will this be your daily driver? As a fellow tall guy at 6'4" I've given up on low sports cars as my DD and use an suv for that pupose and cars like the ftype for weekend fun. It's just too painful getting in and out several times a day, 5 days per week.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
Will this be your daily driver? As a fellow tall guy at 6'4" I've given up on low sports cars as my DD and use an suv for that pupose and cars like the ftype for weekend fun. It's just too painful getting in and out several times a day, 5 days per week.
It wont be my daily driver. I have an old Ford Explorer that I drive most of the time. I work from home a few days each week so my cars don't get out every day.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:44 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Finally, a concrete example of being short! I was also at an advantage when I served in submarines! 5'6"

Larry

Old 06-06-2016, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

At 6'3 270 myself, not an issue. Especially when the roof is down....."easy squeezy", without any Crisco on my hips.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by F12guy
It wont be my daily driver. I have an old Ford Explorer that I drive most of the time. I work from home a few days each week so my cars don't get out every day.
You should be fine if not a DD.
Decades of sports and very few minor injuries. But drive a low to the ground sports car as my daily driver and after a couple of years I got a slight tear in my meniscus and tweaked my lower back a few times just from getting in and out everyday.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

I am 6'2 1/2 and solidly built, it is tight but it is fine, I recommend skipping the coupe and getting a convertible and a smart top module. Apart from anything else the convertible is just more fun, but That way if you are in a tight parking spot you can get in and out with the the top down and use the remote to control the roof.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:44 AM
rs2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6'4" and 220 odd here

I use mine for a daily driver and don't have any issues. Getting in is not as easy as my last car but it's not overly difficult!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm 6'4", 180lbs-ish. Long legs. Long arms. F Type Coupe cabin is a bit cramped for me, but not uncomfortable. However, there is a tiiiiiiiny bit less leg room in the convertible and I can't fit very well.
So, a coupe it is!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

6' 3" 240-ish and 32 inch inseam. I basically echo the sentiments already here, no issue with my vert as a DD (my round trip commute is 60 miles and can be filled with traffic). I do have the SmartTop so that makes things easier. You might also want to consider the standard sport seats if you can find them.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

6'3 245lbs with a 33 inseam. Cockpit feels absolutely fine to me.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

5'4" (on a good day) and 155lbs ........... don't know what your problems are

mikelanzetta (06-10-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Also where the thinnest sole shoes you have. I bought a pair of thick soled work boots and I notice the loss of length. I'm 6-1 and change. Also my 4E width workboot barely clears the brake pedal.
This.

I am 6'6", 230lbs.

I have zero problem with proper/normal driving shoes like loafers or slip ons, lounge dress shoes with light heel.

My wing tip dress shoe heels push my knee up a bit more so that it's closer to the steering wheel, and gives me less movement ability, but honestly it's never interfered. I would say the general problem would be the normal-in-any-car that the pedals are slightly close together for guys with wider feet.

I drive shoeless a lot, slipping off flip flops, or literally not wearing my shoes. But I actually stopped doing that and don't even think of the dress shoes and driving, etc.

The only worry would be running / athletic shoes with a wide sole, as those will overlap on the break and cause some issues.

But I have put 10K on my manual since August, and drive lengths of up to 3 hours+ and have never really had an issue.

Getting out will have you swinging your legs out, and pushing up on the seat and door jamb at the same time, but you'll get the hang of that.

Practice your squats!! =) AND WELCOME. This is the best thing I've ever bought in my life.

TheStrategist (06-07-2016)

Quick Reply: As a tall buy with long legs, help!