F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove F-Type R Coupe - Ride Too Rough for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Drove F-Type R Coupe - Ride Too Rough for Daily Driver

I am on the market for a base F-Type Coupe. The dealer just had an F-Type R to test drive, which really is a bit out of my price range. However, I thought it would be good to see how the car felt and drove. I loved the car, and it did a great job of putting down the power. However, I felt that the ride was too rough for a daily driver for me, anyway. In my work, I often put on 200 miles in a day. The reviews I have read say that the ride for the F-Type in general is on the rougher side. I saw some posts on here that the base suspension is even rougher that the adjustable suspension in the R-Dynamic.

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed. Perhaps someday, they will offer two suspension options.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

In the world of sports cars, the base suspension is hardly considered harsh. It's a Jaguar, and you can most definitely tell. That being said, why not go for a "softer" car like an XK or even a BMW 4 Series or Merc E-Class coupe?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like you haven't driven the base coupe. You should. And since ride comfort is a factor for you, try to find one with the 18"s. I like crisp handling with a firm but not punishing ride and for me the base is tuned just right, with a nice balance of both.

Last edited by Jim F; 11-07-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:24 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I'd say my R ride is "firm" but not uncomfortable, and I can drive distances without discomfort. Was the R you drove in dynamic mode? The would firm up the ride more.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

The ride gets much softer as the seats soften up with use. At about 20000km mine is quite nice even on 21's.

but you need adaptive suspension as the base suspension is very hard, I thought.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I previously owned a base and now own an R. The ride on the R is much more forgiving than the base due to the adaptive dynamic suspension. I find it firm but comfortable. It could easily be driven daily on most roads.

One thing that is important to note is that the tire pressures out of the factory are set around 45 lbs. for shipping. Dealers almost never adjust them when the car comes in. When I took delivery of my last 4 cars, including the F Types, the tire pressures have been around 45 lbs. on all. This is enough to make the ride seem very harsh and bouncey particularly when they should be around 35lbs.

You should give it another shot and check the tire pressures before you test drive.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Try Mercedes SL, probably one of the more comfortable rides of any roadster. Just don't buy one out of warranty.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate everyone's feedback. My reference is a Corvette with Z51 suspension, so it's not like I am use to plush riding cars. The salesperson did check the driving mode after the drive, and said it was in normal vs. "Dynamic" mode. That was my first thought, too. I wouldn't say the car was crashing over bumps, but it was just very jittery, even on smooth roads. It never settled down, and I felt every imperfection. Perhaps the tire pressures were up too high. This was the only thing that marred an otherwise beautifully driving car. I immediately felt at home in it, and it was easy to drive fast (well, as fast as you dare go on a test drive).

Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

As scm stated, my R also has a firm ride in its normal configuration and more so in dynamic, car companies that produce cars with sporting pretensions often firm up their suspensions to control body movements during more aggressive driving. An exception would be Lotus, who discovered decades ago how to make cars handle exceptionally without the buck board ride some manufacturers still revert to.
As far as the Rs ride, I don’t find it objectionable on long trips as the seats are very comfortable, but that is a personal observation

Old 11-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael2000
Perhaps the tire pressures were up too high.
Was the car essentially brand new? If the dealer didn't prep the car properly, the tire pressure could still be at the shipping pressures of 50 PSI+. The F-type is one of the more comfortable sports cars I've driven, so i'm really surprised you had a complaint vs. a corvette.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I appreciate everyone's feedback. My reference is a Corvette with Z51 suspension, so it's not like I am use to plush riding cars. The salesperson did check the driving mode after the drive, and said it was in normal vs. "Dynamic" mode. That was my first thought, too. I wouldn't say the car was crashing over bumps, but it was just very jittery, even on smooth roads. It never settled down, and I felt every imperfection. Perhaps the tire pressures were up too high. This was the only thing that marred an otherwise beautifully driving car. I immediately felt at home in it, and it was easy to drive fast (well, as fast as you dare go on a test drive).
If your reference point is a Corvette Z51, then you're correct, IMO-the ride is going to be pretty harsh. I have the base F-Type and I don't hate the suspension, but if it doesn't appeal to you, you might look at a used XKR, which will be a lot closer to what you're used to.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

IFor my ‘16 R, I found I preferred the not-upgraded seats due to their being a bit more comfortable than the sportier, upgraded seats. And for normal, daily driving, I usually don’t switch to dynamic mode, also for the sake of a more comfortable ride. That ride is great. It is a sports car ride, not an isolation-from-the-road ride, but no bench butt at all. (And I use the gearbox in sport; and I find myself switching the exhaust to loud and back more than once on most drives.I find that as fun as dynamic mode for all but the most spirited drives. Then Dynamic mode is for the especially spirited drives. Fine ride. Fun ride.)

Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've noticed when I start my ride it's very stiff and firm. However after 15-20 miles the tires and/or shocks start to break in and the ride is smoother and more comfortable. Kind of reminds me of the old polyester ply tires that would have flat spots after sitting, but would smooth out after driving for awhile.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

For me, F-type suspension is on a soft side of acceptable parameters for a sport car. Any softer and it would detract from performance.

Take Mercedes SL for example. They are very roomy and comfortable. Hydraulic suspension, when it works, makes it really comfortable ride. However, as a result SLs are monstrously heavy cars.

Unfortunately, comfort vs. performance is a trade-off. You can't really have both, not even if you have unlimited budget.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I drove the R, The S etc. For me the best all around ride was the base with the 18" wheels. I did drive a corvette with the Z51, much to rough and jittery/bouncy for me.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
I drove the R, The S etc. For me the best all around ride was the base with the 18" wheels. I did drive a corvette with the Z51, much to rough and jittery/bouncy for me.
+1
Likewise, before I ordered my 2013 XF I test drove cars with 18", 19" and 20" wheels. To be honest after coming from an XJ6 and an XJ8 I would not have considered the XF on 19" or 20" wheels.
All is personal preference, but I'm way past the age of tracking my car or even driving like the maniac I was in my yute so comfort is more important these days.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I don't believe it is my imagination, but the Michelin tires made the ride noticeably smoother/softer compared to the Pirellis.

Especially in cooler weather. The Pirellis turn into hard plastic donuts.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 11-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

OP, I traded my Corvette Z51 vert for my current R vert.
Both my wife & I agreed that the Jag is a softer ride than the Vette.
I'm always on Dynamic mode, with softer programmable suspension setting.
Think it'll get softer with more miles & change to Michellins soon.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Not sure what you were driving but it wasn't a "normal" Jag F-Type if it was "jittery" in ANY way. As a prior Vette owner myself I can confirm that my '17 F-Type R is a "softer" ride than my older vette was by a LONG shot and due to modern tech, it also handles FAR better even with that softer ride. Now, it's not a Lexus either so there is a balance. If the steering on the one you drove was in ANY way "jittery" then it sounds like there was something wrong with either the alignment or the tire pressure.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I got a ticket on my test drive. It was worth it.

The following users liked this post:
scm (11-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Test Drove F-Type R Coupe - Ride Too Rough for Daily Driver