F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove F-Type R Coupe - Ride Too Rough for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are some excellent responses. I really appreciate it. The test drive was only three miles, so not much heat was built up in the tires, and the tire pressure were unknown. Sounds like I need to head back down to the dealer and do some more investigating.

Speaking of tickets, I asked the salesperson whether he has had anyone ticketed on a test drive. He said the police usually leave them alone, although an officer did come in to their sales office one time and yell at the manager.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael2000
These are some excellent responses. I really appreciate it. The test drive was only three miles, so not much heat was built up in the tires, and the tire pressure were unknown. Sounds like I need to head back down to the dealer and do some more investigating.

Speaking of tickets, I asked the salesperson whether he has had anyone ticketed on a test drive. He said the police usually leave them alone, although an officer did come in to their sales office one time and yell at the manager.
Personally, as I've said before I believe, the reason I opted for 18" wheels on my F-Type was the comfort factor. It was delivered to me new and I drove the 85 or so miles home very disappointed at the firmness of the ride. A quick check of the tire pressures revealed each was at 51 lbs. and adjusting them to the recommended non-high speed pressure made me a very happy and satisfied owner. I have zero complaints on the ride quality or comfort level of my non-sport seats.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

Just my

Our '14 was set at 39 PSI when we got it.

Dropping the pressure to 36 as on the door-jam sticker made a noticeable improvement in ride.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

A couple of notes about the ride. My F Type is garaged so usually the tires don’t get colder than 55 degrees. After parking outside in Bishop during the fall where temps fell into the thirties at night, the summer tires rode noticeably harder until they warmed up. They felt a bit like hockey pucks. For colder weather, all seasons or winter tires will not only improve your traction but also your ride. My only other complaint about the ride is due to the short wheelbase but I would not want the F Type to be any longer so I think it’s a good compromise.

I agree with others that the F Type has a good ride handling balance. I have not driven a Corvette so I can’t compare the two. I do agree with SinF that if you are coming from a more luxury car like the Merc SL, the ride will be harsher in the F Type but it will not handle as well. The condition of roads in your area will also make a difference.

In the end though, harsh ride is a personal preference. What is acceptable to one person may not work for another. So check the tire pressure (you can do that from the information display in the instrument cluster) and if the ride is still too rough you may want to consider another car.

Last edited by speedski; 11-09-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Funny about those tyre pressures, many moons ago it was common for the recommended pressure on the tyre placard to be stupid low (usually around 28 PSI) and the dealer demo cars to have even lower pressure than that, usually around 26 PSI.
I never did figure out why, but I am talking bog standard passenger cars with high profile tyres not sports cars or low profile tyres, and I can only guess it was to give the car a nice soft ride on the test drive.
I always put a bit more in my older cars, usually around 32 PSI, but with my Jags I have gone the other way dropping from the recommended 36 PSI to 34 PSI.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I always put a bit more in my older cars, but with my Jags I have gone the other way dropping from the recommended 36 PSI to 34 PSI.
Especially with the 20" wheels, you need to factor-in rim protection. (Especially in locales with a LOT of pot-holes.)

With high performance tires, owners actually need to try and obtain the optimal tire operating temperature for conditions. (Ambient temps and driving style.) A non-contact pyrometer is inexpensive (and, the laser light does double-duty as a Cat Toy, LOL).

Old 11-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Especially with the 20" wheels, you need to factor-in rim protection. (Especially in locales with a LOT of pot-holes.)

With high performance tires, owners actually need to try and obtain the optimal tire operating temperature for conditions. (Ambient temps and driving style.) A non-contact pyrometer is inexpensive (and, the laser light does double-duty as a Cat Toy, LOL).
Lots of pot holes in my neck of the woods and I've been driving on 20" rims with 30 and 35 profile tyres at 34 PSI for the last six years and never damaged a wheel (other than gutter rash).
Also, the road temps here very rarely drop to or below 0C, it never snows here, and I have never seen or experienced black ice.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Also, the road temps here very rarely drop to or below 0C, it never snows here, and I have never seen or experienced black ice.
LOL, my wife reported that the Ice Warning (snowflake) appeared on her F-Type's information screen for the first time in our 2-month ownership yesterday. She didn't know what the icon meant.

I told her it was the car's sophisticated Weather Prediction system. (Part of the optional Climate Pack.) Sure enough, we saw snow flurries later in the day!

Last edited by Carbuff2; 11-11-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Not sure what you were driving but it wasn't a "normal" Jag F-Type if it was "jittery" in ANY way. As a prior Vette owner myself I can confirm that my '17 F-Type R is a "softer" ride than my older vette was by a LONG shot and due to modern tech, it also handles FAR better even with that softer ride. Now, it's not a Lexus either so there is a balance. If the steering on the one you drove was in ANY way "jittery" then it sounds like there was something wrong with either the alignment or the tire pressure.
These cats have lots of grip and road conditions can make them seem jittery or misaligned. There is a 2 mile stretch of road leading to my neighborhood that I drive on a regular basis. In my DD the road feels normal, when I'm in my Jag the car wants to pull left or right. The first time I drove on it and not tracking straight, I thought Holy S*** I have a tire going flat or I need an alignment. It happens every time I'm on this stretch of road and once I'm off of it the car handles great. This road has a slight center hump that typical cars ignore, but with the wide tires and tight suspension, my Jag wants to wander.

Last edited by IndyCruiser; 11-11-2018 at 08:32 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyCruiser
These cats have lots of grip and road conditions can make them seem jittery or misaligned. There is a 2 mile stretch of road leading to my neighborhood that I drive on a regular basis. In my DD the road feels normal, when I'm in my Jag the car wants to pull left or right. The first time I drove on it and not tracking straight, I thought Holy S*** I have a tire going flat or I need an alignment. It happens every time I'm on this stretch of road and once I'm off of it the car handles great. This road has a slight center hump that typical cars ignore, but with the wide tires and tight suspension, my Jag wants to wander.
Tramlining is always a serious issue with fat sticky tires and heavily dependent on surface conditions.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll show you jittery. Try my previous ride - Mercedes A Class AMG. Similar bhp to my F-Type but lighter, so great fun to drive. But the firm suspension and general whining and whistling made longer journeys tiring. I now have an R with 20" wheels and can happily spend 3+ hours in comfort. It's all relative.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went back down to the Jaguar dealer, and road tested the F-Type R again. This time I checked tire pressures. They didn't do a great job setting pressures. They were 32, 34, 34, 36. I forgot to look at the door jam sticker for what is recommended. Perhaps someone could fill me in. I also made sure it wasn't in dynamic mode. The bottom line is to me the ride feels like the tires don't have much give. I don't think the suspension is overly stiff, but it is jarring. I also test drove a Porsche Cayman, and it rode quite a bit better, even with 20" wheels (the engine sound is completely different matter, though). Now that I think about it, I probably should have checked the tire pressures on the Cayman. Maybe they were low.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

The recommended tyre pressure according to the placard on the door jamb is 36 PSI, for both the 19" and 20" tyres.
I find that to be a little too hard so I set mine (20" tyres) to 34 PSI and so far that has proven to be a good compromise between ride comfort and grip/handling/wear, at least on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (MPS4S) tyres.
If you decide to buy an F-Type R one of the best things you can do is to swap out the fairly crappy OEM Pirelli P-Zeros for MPS4S.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:14 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

37 psi all round for my MY18 R AWD, seems they change the pressures every year!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I am on the market for a base F-Type Coupe. The dealer just had an F-Type R to test drive, which really is a bit out of my price range. However, I thought it would be good to see how the car felt and drove. I loved the car, and it did a great job of putting down the power. However, I felt that the ride was too rough for a daily driver for me, anyway. In my work, I often put on 200 miles in a day. The reviews I have read say that the ride for the F-Type in general is on the rougher side. I saw some posts on here that the base suspension is even rougher that the adjustable suspension in the R-Dynamic.

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed. Perhaps someday, they will offer two suspension options.
Firstly, what have you been driving as a comparison?It will certainly be a tighter ride than a Lincoln Towncar or a plushy SUV, but compared with other sports or GT cars is quite civilized.
Secondly, the 18” wheels (45/40 profiles) typically offered on the base will offer a noticeably softer ride than the 20” wheels (35/30 profiles) always provided on the R.

The following users liked this post:
scm (11-19-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate everyone's feedback. My reference is a Corvette with Z51 suspension, so it's not like I am use to plush riding cars. The salesperson did check the driving mode after the drive, and said it was in normal vs. "Dynamic" mode. That was my first thought, too. I wouldn't say the car was crashing over bumps, but it was just very jittery, even on smooth roads. It never settled down, and I felt every imperfection. Perhaps the tire pressures were up too high. This was the only thing that marred an otherwise beautifully driving car. I immediately felt at home in it, and it was easy to drive fast (well, as fast as you dare go on a test drive).
Good to know I am not the only one who thinks the ride on F-Type R is too firm. I had a 2016 Z06 and on comfort setting, it was much softer ride than my Jag. I have my tire pressure set at 35 and I really can't tell the difference when I switch from normal to dynamic. I understand and agree that R is a performance car, however most performance cars now a day have 2-3 ride settings with a nice range of firmness, my AMG GTS had 3 setting and its comfort setting was very nice and plush. My DB11 also has 3 settings. I do track my cars occasionally but if I am not on the track, then I like a nice plush ride. I love my Jag and I think you get a lot for your money both in terms of luxury and performance, but not having much control over the ride is a negative for me.