F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there really not a.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Is there really not a.....

.....compass heading in either the instrument panel or the touch screen? The navigation map can be used to determine heading if the map option of North/Up is selected. Seriously? My S-Type 2002 displayed a compass heading in the rear view mirror and every vehicle owned since then has had it somewhere constantly visible.

What am I missing? Where is the compass heading?

Desert Hiker

Old 08-05-2015, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The concept of North/South for directional assistance has gone the way of the manual transmission. We're about due for a magnetic pole reversal anyway, so Miami will shortly be far north of New York City.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:10 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Only ever had that once on a Mitsubishi 4wd. Was totally pointless and I never used it.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Only ever had that once on a Mitsubishi 4wd. Was totally pointless and I never used it.
Interesting . . . It's also been in almost every car I've had for the last 20-30 years.

I use it all the time, but my training and pilot experience imprinted me on the importance of constant attention to my headings, which be a life or death matter.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Interesting . . . It's also been in almost every car I've had for the last 20-30 years.

I use it all the time, but my training and pilot experience imprinted me on the importance of constant attention to my headings, which be a life or death matter.
Must be an American thing to have them in cars.

For me in a vehicle a compass heading is generally a bit pointless for navigation as you have to stick to roads and they double back on themselves and change direction etc. a GPS/sat nav is much more useful as is a general knowledge of the Main roads.

I keep a manual compass in my 4x4. But that's really mostly for an emergency when I might need to navigate on foot. If I find myself traversing a trackless desert (which I have done) then a compass heading becomes more useful, but I have an iPad mounted on the dash of my 4x4 which has a compass, GPS, a chart plotter and many other navigation aids for that.

I can honestly say that if there was one in my F, I would never look at it.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 08-05-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, you're absolutely right--don't really need it in a car because the roads go where they go, and it's a good practice to stay on them. I only meant I look at the compass heading constantly out of habits developed flying airplanes.

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 AM

Oh, you're absolutely right--don't really need it in a car because the roads go where they go, and it's a good practice to stay on them. I only meant I look at the compass heading constantly out of habits developed flying airplanes.
Yes, well,in an aeroplane I can definitely see how that might be useful

Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
The concept of North/South for directional assistance has gone the way of the manual transmission. We're about due for a magnetic pole reversal anyway, so Miami will shortly be far north of New York City.
Indeed, there is a sense that the world is entering a period of disorientation, that will likely be followed by a period of reorientation.

Desert Hiker

Last edited by Desert Hiker; 08-05-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 AM
Default For the record....

....as an hiker and backpacker, a compass is a constant companion. It's a source of comfort and safety; however, I would also never admit to becoming disoriented on roadways. OTOH, my wife really benefits from it. It's been years to retrain her from thinking "it's on the left", to "it's on the east side".....to avoid the (often wrong) assumption of the direction of approach.

And yes, there's an old fashioned compass in each of our vehicles along with other road trip essentials.

Desert Hiker

Last edited by Desert Hiker; 08-05-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

All of my airplanes had compasses, but none of my cars ever did (nor artificial horizons or altimeters). Though, I could have used an artificial horizon at Nelson Ledges once.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker
OTOH, my wife really benefits from it. It's been years to retrain her from thinking "it's on the left", to "it's on the east side".....to avoid the (often wrong) assumption of the direction of approach.
My wife is directionally challenged and has to have the letters L and R stamped on her dash board. However, tell her something is located next to Nordstrom's, she has no difficulty finding her way.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I like a compass in a car, and I do look at it regularly. Living in the US west, there are many places where internet connections are not available so we lose that communication ability. Also, Google Earth is not available in many areas, and we're left with a CD map only which has many inaccuracies. The satellites are always there of course, but I have been on windy mining roads and even some highways where the computer got totally disoriented and it took a few minutes to get sorted out. I like to know my heading. Guess a portable in-car compass will be in my future when it arrives.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
All of my airplanes had compasses, but none of my cars ever did (nor artificial horizons or altimeters). Though, I could have used an artificial horizon at Nelson Ledges once.
We had a Toyota FJ with an artificial horizon of sorts, although it was called an inclinometer.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

There's an app for that
Don't think it's an American thing, 991 also has compass heading option (assuming it's also avail on the German editions).
It comes in handy when you are in the middle of nowhere and making sure you are going north, not south

Old 08-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Oh, you're absolutely right--don't really need it in a car because the roads wgo where they go, and it's a good practice to stay on them. I only meant I look at the compass heading constantly out of habits developed flying airplanes.
Hopefully you're also constantly checking your speed and altitude too?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

We had a Toyota FJ with an artificial horizon of sorts, although it was called an inclinometer.
That's right ... I do have an "artificial horizon" in the FJ40.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Yes, both. In my Audi's with Google Earth, I have a read-out of instantaneous elevation which I enjoy driving around these Rockies. Does the F-Type have that?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
Yes, those are rather important as well.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by shift
There's an app for that
Don't think it's an American thing, 991 also has compass heading option (assuming it's also avail on the German editions).
It comes in handy when you are in the middle of nowhere and making sure you are going north, not south

Yes my app does, altitude, lat, long, speed, compass heading and more.

I suspect Porsche puts it in because it's an American thing, the U.S. Is the largest car market in the world, or at least it used to be, China might beat you now. In have only ever seen it as separate from the Sat Nav on one car here although I'm sure there are more, but it is not common.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

I have an altimeter in my Touareg. I actually kind of like it.