Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Question TPMS

Hi

I was able to mount my new wheels for summer last week and purchased another set of original TPMS sensors for it from a Jaguar parts dealer. But didn't really thing of it until after driving a few km when TPMS error appeared on the center dash display. Unfortunately this topic seems to be very delicate here as I get mixed statements about it. The German Jaguar mechanic at the dealer says they would be learnt by the car automatically after a few kilometers and in rare occasions you would have to come by and the read off the serialnumbers of the sensors wirelessly and program them into the ecu.

The Swiss Jaguar dealer nearby said the never had that happen and they'd have to take off the tires again to get to the serial numbers of the sensors which I clearly do not wan't to pay labor for if it could be done wirelessly. While independent tire shops mostly suggest there should be a menu option in the dash which would initiate the learning procedure.

So long story short, does anybody know of such a menu option? Is it even maybe in a secret menu that's accessible if you know how? How is the experience of you guys who changed to a new or second set of sensors?

TIA
Lyndon

Old 05-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by pipper678
Hi

I was able to mount my new wheels for summer last week and purchased another set of original TPMS sensors for it from a Jaguar parts dealer. But didn't really thing of it until after driving a few km when TPMS error appeared on the center dash display. Unfortunately this topic seems to be very delicate here as I get mixed statements about it. The German Jaguar mechanic at the dealer says they would be learnt by the car automatically after a few kilometers and in rare occasions you would have to come by and the read off the serialnumbers of the sensors wirelessly and program them into the ecu.

The Swiss Jaguar dealer nearby said the never had that happen and they'd have to take off the tires again to get to the serial numbers of the sensors which I clearly do not wan't to pay labor for if it could be done wirelessly. While independent tire shops mostly suggest there should be a menu option in the dash which would initiate the learning procedure.

So long story short, does anybody know of such a menu option? Is it even maybe in a secret menu that's accessible if you know how? How is the experience of you guys who changed to a new or second set of sensors?

TIA
Lyndon
Unfortunately, your Swiss dealer has it right. There is no menu for having the system learn the I.D. codes. A good tire installer (and a dealer) should have a device for synchronizing the codes to the car. I keep a record of which code is on each corner in case of a system fault. Another thing to consider is that Jag changed frequencies in the middle of the 2015 model year (somewhere around K25000). You will need to confirm that you have the right frequency sensors (315mhz vs 433mhz).

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-01-2016 at 08:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
BMo (05-01-2016), pipper678 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 09:53 AM

Hey Unhingd

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm getting concerned about maybe having bought the wrong frequency sensors that I know are 433MHz and were said to be functional with F-Types to MY16, which mine is. My VIN contains a K310... would you know which TPMS frequency it has?

Cheers
Lyndon

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Unfortunately, your Swiss dealer has it right. There is no menu for having the system learn the I.D. codes. A good tire installer (and a dealer) should have a device for synchronizing the codes to the car. I keep a record of which code is on each corner in case of a system fault. Another thing to consider is that Jag changed frequencies in the middle of the 2015 model year (somewhere around K25000). You will need to confirm that you have the right frequency sensors (315mhz vs 433mhz).

Old 05-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pipper678
Hey Unhingd

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm getting concerned about maybe having bought the wrong frequency sensors that I know are 433MHz and were said to be functional with F-Types to MY16, which mine is. My VIN contains a K310... would you know which TPMS frequency it has?

Cheers
Lyndon
My K27xxx (MY16) is 433 MHz, so you are good with those.

The following users liked this post:
pipper678 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Actually, the Jaguar system will self learn itself providing the wheel is spinning at 16kph. If there is to much static from stuff like the alternator, which some older models that had a bulletin setup about..the sensors can then read wirelessly by a special tool from Autel. Once the I.D is read wirelessly, the I.D's can be programmed to the vehicle with SDD...I don't believe the tool is a Jaguar requirement so not all shops will have it. Could be the reason why you have a mixed opinion between 2 shops (1 shop has a tool, the other doesn't)

But if the sensors are the incorrect frequently then your out of luck...bring a wheel with you to the shop that can wirelessly read the sensors..they'll be able to tell you if your new wheels tpms match the original wheels...sometimes parts manuals don't show correctly for year/model/market..which is why I recommend bringing 1 wheel with you from the original set that is known to work.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 05-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The change in sensor frequency happened at the beginning or early in the 15MY. If you have the correct sensor, no programming is necessary as they are automatically recognized.

My '14 (K08xxxx) has the 315mhz sensors, and I purchased a slightly used set of 20" Gyrodynes from a 15R, mounted w/ PZeros and sensors. The company I purchased from (Midwest Tire and Wheel) was informed enough to ask for the my VIN, which told them I needed the 315mhz sensors. The set I was purchasing had the 433mhz sensors, which they swapped for no extra charge.

The type of sensors you need is determined by the VIN, not the serial number of the sensors, and all any tire dealer needs to do is look it up in JLR guidance. If the ones they mounted didn't work, obviously the other frequency will.

Both of the JLR dealers you dealt w/ were both lazy and inept. They should have immediately looked it up by your VIN when ordering sensors. Any tire shop has access to the same info, but it is a very easy and quick swap, so what they told about that is BS as well.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
The change in sensor frequency happened at the beginning or early in the 15MY. If you have the correct sensor, no programming is necessary as they are automatically recognized.

My '14 (K08xxxx) has the 315mhz sensors, and I purchased a slightly used set of 20" Gyrodynes from a 15R, mounted w/ PZeros and sensors. The company I purchased from (Midwest Tire and Wheel) was informed enough to ask for the my VIN, which told them I needed the 315mhz sensors. The set I was purchasing had the 433mhz sensors, which they swapped for no extra charge.

The type of sensors you need is determined by the VIN, not the serial number of the sensors, and all any tire dealer needs to do is look it up in JLR guidance. If the ones they mounted didn't work, obviously the other frequency will.

Both of the JLR dealers you dealt w/ were both lazy and inept. They should have immediately looked it up by your VIN when ordering sensors. Any tire shop has access to the same info, but it is a very easy and quick swap, so what they told about that is BS as well.
Based on VIN, he's got the right frequency. The sensor id has to be synchronized to the car so it knows which corner each is transmitting from. As Stuart suggested, a good tire shop should have the tool to read the id numbers without removing the tire.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-01-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Based on VIN, he's got the right frequency. The sensor id has to be synchronized to the car so it knows which corner each is transmitting from. As Stuart suggested, a good tire shop should have the tool to read the id numbers without removing the tire.
Really? How did Midwest Tire and Wheel do that from more than 1000 miles away? I simply took the mounted tires/wheels out of the shipping boxes and bolted them on. The car recognized them immediately.

I did fail to read his later post that showed he already had the correct frequency.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-01-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Really? How did Midwest Tire and Wheel do that from more than 1000 miles away? I simply took the mounted tires/wheels out of the shipping boxes and bolted them on. The car recognized them immediately.

I did fail to read his later post that showed he already had the correct frequency.
I know it had to be done on mine. Perhaps the 433 mhz system works differently than the 315 mhz system.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

The switch from 315MHz to 433MHz began with early build 2015 F-Types. Unfortunately your build sheet for your car may not necessarily reflect the TPMS thats actually on your car. My 2015 F Type was built in late 2014 and the build sheet indicated my car was supposed to have the 315MHz sensors.

So when I got my new rims, I ordered 315MHz sensors. I installed them and immediately got a TPMS fault light. I drove around for a few miles to ensure that TPMS sensors were communicating with the receiver in the car. No go. I borrowed my friend's frequency scanner tool. I scanned my original TPMS sensors and discovered that I had 433MHz sensors despite what my buildsheet said.

Ordered the correct ones, had them installed and have had no issues since then. TPMS fault light went out within driving 1 mile. No need to have any synchronization done. Your most accurate way to see what frequency you have is to get it the scanned.

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 05-01-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
The switch from 315MHz to 433MHz began with early build 2015 F-Types. Unfortunately your build sheet for your car may not necessarily reflect the TPMS thats actually on your car. My 2015 F Type was built in late 2014 and the build sheet indicated my car was supposed to have the 315MHz sensors.

So when I got my new rims, I ordered 315MHz sensors. I installed them and immediately got a TPMS fault light. I drove around for a few miles to ensure that TPMS sensors were communicating with the receiver in the car. No go. I borrowed my friend's frequency scanner tool. I scanned my original TPMS sensors and discovered that I had 433MHz sensors despite what my buildsheet said.

Ordered the correct ones, had them installed and have had no issues since then. TPMS fault light went out within driving 1 mile. No need to have any synchronization done. Your most accurate way to see what frequency you have is to get it the scanned.
Exactly as I thought. It sounds as if the OP may not have the sensor frequency he thinks he has.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-01-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

So then why did Unhingd have to have his sync'd after moving up form OEM 19" to OEM 20" with the same 433MHz sensors?

I have his take-offs and just want to prepare myself in the fall when I use them as my winters.

Then again, I was informed by a Jag dealer that Jaguar TPMS are very temperamental and there is a 50/50 chance they will sync on their own

Ken Dreger (07-10-2023)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
So then why did Unhingd have to have his sync'd after moving up form OEM 19" to OEM 20" with the same 433MHz sensors?

I have his take-offs and just want to prepare myself in the fall when I use them as my winters.

Then again, I was informed by a Jag dealer that Jaguar TPMS are very temperamental and there is a 50/50 chance they will sync on their own
Dunno, makes no sense to me. White Tardis confirmed that 433mhz sensors synch themselves just like 315mhz sensors on my car.

I think he dropped off his new wheels at the dealer to install before he took delivery. Perhaps the dealer said something like "got 'em synched up for you," which could mean they put them on and they synched themselves. He may have assumed that meant the dealer had to use a tool to synch them.

All I know as I've had my new set (20") and old set (18") on and off of my car a couple of times, and each set synchs itself w/ no action necessary. I know they work because I've had a couple of TPMS lights due to low inflation when the weather turns cold and light extinguished on both occasions when inflated properly. When I purchased my 20s, the vendor, who was 1000 miles away, installed new 315mhz sensors, mounted, balanced, and shipped them to me, I simply bolted them on in my garage, and they instantly synched.

With regard to what the dealer told you, I've gotten a lot of incorrect information from people working at car dealers too. Quite frankly, I take everything I'm told at a dealership w/ a grain of salt until confirming for myself.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-02-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Kief (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Talking Finally

Hey everybody

Wow, this discussion went on quite nicely in the meantime!
Glad to report that everything's fine now, even though it didn't look like it at first...

Went to the local subsidiary of the common tire shop chain here in Switzerland. They had a TPMS terminal from VDO, which the technician explained to me he had to enter the make and model of the car because it would then react only to the correct TPMS sensors the manufacturer has approved. Was happy to see then, that the sensors did reply correctly, but unfortunately when he hooked up the terminal to the OBDII port it would not react for uploading/writing the acquired TPMS IDs into the ECU. The guy meant maybe the VDO needed an update since he wasn't able to choose the MY16, only 15 and there were updates all the time because the whole TPMS story is hardly standardized an quite the pain for them...

He tried another two times without success and when generally hooking up the device up to the ECU it wouldn't sync for info display at all. So I at least wrote down the IDs in order for the lazy Jaguar dealer maybe upload them with the manufacturer specific terminal, while the tire guy said he'd see if there are updates from VDO and I shall come by another time for another try... anyway, on my way home I filled up gas and when driving off again I didn't even notice the error not popping up again right after starting the car. Only a few minutes later I realized the warning triangle icon in the dash wasn't lit up, so I looked into the TPMS menu and voilà, all the tire pressures around the car were displayed fine!

I guess the sensors just needed an initial impulse from a strong terminal in order to take up their work and for the car to pick them up there after...
knocking on would this will keep on working going for a track day tomorrow, perfect timing!

Thanks for all the helping comments, cheers

Lyndon

Last edited by pipper678; 05-02-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Glad your sensors are working now. It sounds me to me that eventually the car's receiver picked them up and they synched themselves.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I have winter wheels with the old tpms sensors and have purchased a set of 433 tpms sensors from Autel... my car's require the 433.

My tire dealer is reluctant to install them as he is wondering if they need to be 'woken up' first (same response when I called another local tire dealer) ... based on this thread it appears that the Jaguar should sync. them / wake them up as I drive.

I called a Jag dealer and they said the Jaguar sensors will automatically sync up, but didn't know if the Autel would.

So, does anyone have experience with this situation ... I realize the thread indicates it should work, but I wanted to double check before going through the dismount / remount process.
Lawrence

Old 07-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Best thing to do is test the sensors with a scanner for jaguar spec. Autel has a tpms scan tool to read the I.D of the sensor and can be setup to the brand of vehicle needed to test with. Basically the tool is used to read the info from the oem sensor. My idea would be to set one of these tools up to jaguar spec of your vehicle and then try to read these autel sensors.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Best thing to do is test the sensors with a scanner for jaguar spec. Autel has a tpms scan tool to read the I.D of the sensor and can be setup to the brand of vehicle needed to test with. Basically the tool is used to read the info from the oem sensor. My idea would be to set one of these tools up to jaguar spec of your vehicle and then try to read these autel sensors.
OK, I'll check in with Protech, the company I got them from to see if they already have done this, or if not, will take care of it.
Thanks..
Lawrence

Old 02-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing to consider is that Jag changed frequencies in the middle of the 2015 model year (somewhere around K25000). You will need to confirm that you have the right frequency sensors (315mhz vs 433mhz).
Here's another data point for everyone: I just purchased a winter set of wheels and tires, and the shop installed sensors at 433MHz. The car never sync'd with the sensors, even after about 100 miles of driving, and after further troubleshooting with the shop (and the local dealership parts department) my car actually has 315MHz sensors. My VIN ends in K27695, so it seems there might be a little gray area in there as Jaguar transitioned from one frequency to another on the production line.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Inspector-G
Here's another data point for everyone: I just purchased a winter set of wheels and tires, and the shop installed sensors at 433MHz. The car never sync'd with the sensors, even after about 100 miles of driving, and after further troubleshooting with the shop (and the local dealership parts department) my car actually has 315MHz sensors. My VIN ends in K27695, so it seems there might be a little gray area in there as Jaguar transitioned from one frequency to another on the production line.
Curious: my VIN is 27733 with 433MHZ, so probably built during the same week.

Quick Reply: TPMS