Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UAD Android auto features/tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Default UAD Android auto features/tips

I've now had the UAD unit in my car for about a week. I've been about 90% pleased with it, but there are a few niggles that I would change or I just don't know what I am doing.

- Changing the volume on various apps is difficult through android auto. For Carplay, there are settings for about everything that make it easy to adjust various apps. To adjust the volume of just Waze, for example, I had to leave android auto entirely, open waze, change waze volume, attach to android auto again, try it out and repeat until I got it where I wanted it. It's far easier in my wife's Range Rover.
-Every time I get into the car, I have to click on the Nav button in order for the Android auto to engage. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if it just defaulted to on
-When I do launch my android Auto, it defaults to the Waze Map screen. I hear my streamed music automatically, but the default screen is always the map. I'd like to be able to change this.
-I dislike the fact that it needs to be plugged into the Aux input. A minor thing and I'll probably get a 90 elbow for the mini jack so I can better tuck away the cord
-It would have been nice to include a USB extension. I did say that one was needed in the instruction, so I got one before I started the project.

I assume the newer F-Types with the bigger screen are like my wife's range rover and don't have these issues. It still baffles me that the F-Types were behind the times as compared to other Jaguar models and even the base model Land Rovers (the 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport had a newer, better infotainment system than my 2017 SVR). All in all, I'm happy so far with the upgraded functionality; however, I'm still a little torn if going with a full android replacement (like merryway) would have been a better option.

Last edited by eeeeek; 02-20-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mine sitting here to install for Android Auto. While there are call-outs in the install paperwork about the aftermarket microphone install for Carplay, is it required for Android Auto or is there a way to route the call through the factory microphone?

Old 02-20-2023, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by DMage
I have mine sitting here to install for Android Auto. While there are call-outs in the install paperwork about the aftermarket microphone install for Carplay, is it required for Android Auto or is there a way to route the call through the factory microphone?
You don't need the microphone. You can keep calls on the factory system; however, I did install the microphone and am happy with the voice commands for all the Android Auto stuff.. I at first put the microphone near the volume knob, but I'm going to tuck it up closer to the switches by the powerport.

Do make sure you have a three foot USB extension. They also say you can pop off the little plastic cover off in the center console over the emergency neutral release to run the aux cable and usb extension, run the wires through and then pop the cap back on, but there was no way that was working. I dremeled out a notch on that little plastic cover to allow the wires through cleanly.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am also torn between the UAD unit and the full android replacement. After a few months of ownership, do you regret not getting the 10.25" android unit?

With regard to the microphone, can you use it to make phone calls or is it limited to Siri and voice commands? I ask because my stock microphone does not work correctly and this might be a solution.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-17-2023, 04:55 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I have had the UAD for about 6 months, and I love it. I have both an Android (personal) and an iPhone (work). I leave the iPhone connected to the UAD, and I have the Android connected to the Jaguar Bluetooth. That way I can receive calls on both phones handsfree. The iPhone doesn't have issues with volumes between apps, but I think you stated it was an Android issue. Last I used the Android it didn't allow side-by-side apps which is a no-go for me, but I have seen screenshots that it is working now...