F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards

Upgraded Meridian worth it vs stock?

 
  #1  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:53 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgraded Meridian worth it vs stock?

I've read a lot about how the upgraded system isn't great, but is it worth getting over stock? I don't see many threads about upgraded the F-Type's sound system in general.. is it difficult to do? I just wonder if it's best to save money by opting for the non-upgraded Meridian, and do an aftermarket upgrade instead..
 
  #2  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,409
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

I have the Meridian and I find it to be decently acceptable. I cannot imagine how bad the base system would be... It also depends on how important music and acoustics are too you.
 
  #3  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Goodwood
Posts: 17
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

i wouldn't bother, for the price its really not that good
 
  #4  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Nati's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,261
Received 293 Likes on 210 Posts
Default

Depends if you're talking new or used. I went from a 2017 to a 2020 both with the upgraded stereo and it sounds better in the newer version. This was after I had the acoustic software fix done on the old one as well.
 
  #5  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

MY2019. Iím happy with the base system and when ordering didnít think it was worth the extra money. I mainly listen to Spotify, podcasts, and CNBC. I canít say Iím an crazy audiophile, at home I have B&W speakers for my record player. I also have B&W speakers in a 5.1.2 system with a Marantz AV receiver for a TV setup. Honestly, the engine/exhaust is the best thing to listen to.
 
The following users liked this post:
scm (05-16-2019)
  #6  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 PM
MI-FType's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 467
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Default

I had a '15 Base Coupe with the 380. I later traded it in for a '16 R Coupe with the 770.

The 770 (after getting the software fix) was better, but not by much. Had it not come standard in the R, I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

Neither system has the deep, rich bass that you typically find in an American car. The size of the F-Type's cabin doesn't help much either... there's just nowhere for the sound to go.

Like others have said... stick with the 380 and enjoy the sound of the exhaust.
 
  #7  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 485
Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
I've read a lot about how the upgraded system isn't great, but is it worth getting over stock? I don't see many threads about upgraded the F-Type's sound system in general.. is it difficult to do? I just wonder if it's best to save money by opting for the non-upgraded Meridian, and do an aftermarket upgrade instead..
I have the base system and find nothing objectionable about it--head and shoulders better in every respect than the "Premium" system for which I paid $1500 extra in my old 2015 Maserati Ghibli.
 
  #8  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Jmo
Jmo is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South Florida
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Mine has the 770. Its a 2016 coupe. The system sucks. Its barely listenable. Had the dealership perform the sound deadening TSB and replaced one of the blown rear speakers. Its better, but still rattles and overall sounds like ****. Save your money or use it elsewhere in the car.
 
  #9  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 8,312
Received 3,709 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Default

The cars in North America never got the "base" audio system, only 380W Meridian, or 770W Meridian Surround. There was a crap 180W system in other markets with no subs at all, that is "base".

So really you're talking about 380W vs 770W systems. But what you have to keep in mind is with the newer cars, it's not just the speaker-count and wattage.

The 380W has the InControl Touch screen / head unit system, the 770W Surround from 2018MY is the InControl Touch Pro, with the bigger screen, and more features/functions.

So regardless of the sound quality you are chasing, it's the features in the screen & head unit that is different, InControl Touch vs InControl Touch Pro.

And you cannot upgrade the InControl Touch to InControl Touch Pro, all of the hardware is different.

If you're looking at a 2018MY-onward car, get the 770W with InControl Touch Pro.
 
  #10  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
The cars in North America never got the "base" audio system, only 380W Meridian, or 770W Meridian Surround. There was a crap 180W system in other markets with no subs at all, that is "base".

So really you're talking about 380W vs 770W systems. But what you have to keep in mind is with the newer cars, it's not just the speaker-count and wattage.

The 380W has the InControl Touch screen / head unit system, the 770W Surround from 2018MY is the InControl Touch Pro, with the bigger screen, and more features/functions.

So regardless of the sound quality you are chasing, it's the features in the screen & head unit that is different, InControl Touch vs InControl Touch Pro.

And you cannot upgrade the InControl Touch to InControl Touch Pro, all of the hardware is different.

If you're looking at a 2018MY-onward car, get the 770W with InControl Touch Pro.
With MY19(US) I have 380W with TouchPro?
 
  #11  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
The cars in North America never got the "base" audio system, only 380W Meridian, or 770W Meridian Surround. There was a crap 180W system in other markets with no subs at all, that is "base".

So really you're talking about 380W vs 770W systems. But what you have to keep in mind is with the newer cars, it's not just the speaker-count and wattage.

The 380W has the InControl Touch screen / head unit system, the 770W Surround from 2018MY is the InControl Touch Pro, with the bigger screen, and more features/functions.

So regardless of the sound quality you are chasing, it's the features in the screen & head unit that is different, InControl Touch vs InControl Touch Pro.

And you cannot upgrade the InControl Touch to InControl Touch Pro, all of the hardware is different.

If you're looking at a 2018MY-onward car, get the 770W with InControl Touch Pro.
A very important factor is the quality of the music stream input. Spotify, Sirius and other streaming services use a low quality music source that is compressed for transmission. Such sources are likely to sound like crap on an upgraded Meridian system. However, in my experience, playing source files such as FLAC or Apple lossless files on the upgraded Meridian brings out the best in the system. It presents the best sound that I have heard in a car sound system and a number of my friends agree with that conclusion.
Crap in Crap out!
 
  #12  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:57 AM
jaguny's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: upstate new york
Posts: 4,846
Received 475 Likes on 426 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stengli View Post
A very important factor is the quality of the music stream input. Spotify, Sirius and other streaming services use a low quality music source that is compressed for transmission. Such sources are likely to sound like crap on an upgraded Meridian system. However, in my experience, playing source files such as FLAC or Apple lossless files on the upgraded Meridian brings out the best in the system. It presents the best sound that I have heard in a car sound system and a number of my friends agree with that conclusion.
Crap in Crap out!
Agree on the importance of the input. I have the 770w and after the TSB fix and an upgrade with better oem door and center speakers the systems sounds very good. The weakness is the speakers behind the seats. I am not ready for the upgrade posted in the forum on those because with CD's or even streaming from my ipod with compressed music the system is more than up to the task.

How are you playing FLAC or Apple lossless files as they are the better digital approach? I couldn't get my system to play FLAC files from a USB stick.
 
  #13  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: las vegas
Posts: 1,090
Received 96 Likes on 89 Posts
Default

I have the 770 in my '14 conv. I've never had the problems the coupe owners have had and no fixes apply to the conv. I've played around with it with some early forum suggestions and find it is fine. I've had this system in a RR loaner and an XE loaner and it sounds much better in a bigger space. Harmon Karden I had in my Merc roadster was better tuned for a 2 seater something it appears Jag didn't really do.
 
  #14  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:12 AM
scm's Avatar
scm
scm is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 752
Received 135 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jaguny View Post
How are you playing FLAC or Apple lossless files as they are the better digital approach? I couldn't get my system to play FLAC files from a USB stick.
My MY 18 manual claims to play the following media types: MP3, WMA, WAV, AIFF, M4A, FLAC, AAC, AMR, LPCM and ALAC. It also notes that "other formats are available" but not whether it'll play them.
 
  #15  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:17 AM
jaguny's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: upstate new york
Posts: 4,846
Received 475 Likes on 426 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scm View Post
My MY 18 manual claims to play the following media types: MP3, WMA, WAV, AIFF, M4A, FLAC, AAC, AMR, LPCM and ALAC. It also notes that "other formats are available" but not whether it'll play them.
Mine is a '16 and may not be able to do it. I had a Tidal subscription for awhile and was streaming through a media player in my house to a tube amp through single driver speakers. I bought some albums that were FLAC and tried running them in the car with the thumb drive with no luck. Message was that the format was not available or something to that effect. FLAC files are quite large but with modern storage capabilities, it isn't really an issue any longer. Maybe direct streaming from a service like Tidal?
 
  #16  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Mahjik's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 542
Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

IMO, if you enjoy listening to music, yes the upgraded system is worth.

I'm not saying that because its so great. I'm saying that because most people rarely go back and update their stereo system after getting the car. I've seen a lot of people (including myself) get the base system just because they want to update it to something aftermarket. However, that rarely happens due to various reasons (not trusting a shop to leave the car with, no time to leave the car with a shop for a while to do it, not trusting a shop to do good work that will still look factory, etc).

So just go head and get the upgraded stereo if you enjoy music. If you decide to upgrade it later, you still can but at least you'll have a decent system if that never happens.
 
  #17  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Kjamo's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 189
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

I have the 380W in my XJL and the 770W in my F-Type. I hate to say it but if anything, I prefer the sound of the 380W. Perhaps it's the small space of the F-Type but it just doesn't sound that great IMO
 
  #18  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:45 PM
BruceTheQuail's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Oz
Posts: 2,379
Received 498 Likes on 411 Posts
Default

We have the opposite - my f type has the 380 and my missus xe has the 770. It sounds heaps better in the XE, rich and deep whereas the f type is a bit tinny and hard, but I agree the size of the cabin is key.
 
  #19  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:51 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

My entire music collection is digitized in FLAC format. I have converted a number of FLAC music files to Apple lossless format and have them loaded onto an old iPod that leave in the centre console, connected via USB. I also have some lossless files loaded on my iPhone that I play over the Bluetooth connection. IMO the wired connection to the iPod provides superior sound performance. It is also important to optimize your audio settings, including the surround sound mode and also play around with the balance settings to get the best sound.
 
  #20  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:40 PM
jaguny's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: upstate new york
Posts: 4,846
Received 475 Likes on 426 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stengli View Post
My entire music collection is digitized in FLAC format. I have converted a number of FLAC music files to Apple lossless format and have them loaded onto an old iPod that leave in the centre console, connected via USB. I also have some lossless files loaded on my iPhone that I play over the Bluetooth connection. IMO the wired connection to the iPod provides superior sound performance. It is also important to optimize your audio settings, including the surround sound mode and also play around with the balance settings to get the best sound.
What year is your car?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgraded Meridian worth it vs stock?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: