Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VMax +10mm & +20mm Crank Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up VMax +10mm & +20mm Crank Pulleys

It's that time. After racking up 10,000 miles between two F Type R V8s with aggressive drivers and doing a post trial inspection of the pulleys we have confirmed we are ready to release them for sale. Please note both pulleys were +10mm though from a durability/longevity standpoint the +20mm pulleys should be no different.

With our +1.8psi upper SC pulleys we saw ~14.5-14.8psi peak boost with the +10mm lower pulleys and expect 15.5-16.0psi peak boost with the +20's--assuming stock hardware. For those that plan on going with our LTs and 3" X pipe expect boost levels to drop ~1.5psi after exhaust instaill whether you're running our pulley(s) or not. Again HP/TQ will increase regardless as boost just a measure of restriction and the mass of air moving the engine will be greater. Basically, if you're planning on running our exhaust you're going to want both an upper and lower pulley to compensate and keep boost levels within 1psi or so of stock.

Please post if you are interested in either the +10mm or +20mm lower/crank pulley (will include a new OEM Jaguar crank bolt). Pricing will depend on how many responses we get which will dictate how many we make in this run 10-25. Initial GB pricing will be 20-30% lower than List pricing. We are looking at between $995-1295 depending on how many we end up making of each.

Thank You
VMax

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

I am familiar with the process of changing the upper pulley... is the lower pulley easier to DIY? I assume no need to change any belts?

Old 12-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

I would be interested in upper (supercharger) pulley. I assume no tune is needed in order to take advantage of the HP gains.

Will the dealer be able to tell it is a larger pulley if they do a visual inspection with belts on?

I am in N. County San Diego, If I drop by your shop in Irvine would your shop be able to install same day? Would you ever be doing a 'tune/pulley install day' in San Diego?

Old 12-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I am familiar with the process of changing the upper pulley... is the lower pulley easier to DIY? I assume no need to change any belts?

The lower is a direct bolt-on and, requires no grinding to go on. You may recall that depending on MY the shaft where the upper SC pulley mounts may need grinding for any aftermarket pulley to fit. Definitely a cleaner and easier install than an upper.

Edit: Sorry forgot to answer your belt question. We didn't with the +10mm, if we do with the +20mm we'll include the new belt with new crank bolt as part of the kit.

Thanks
Vmax

Last edited by VMaxTuning; 12-26-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 355rockit
I would be interested in upper (supercharger) pulley. I assume no tune is needed in order to take advantage of the HP gains.

Will the dealer be able to tell it is a larger pulley if they do a visual inspection with belts on?

I am in N. County San Diego, If I drop by your shop in Irvine would your shop be able to install same day? Would you ever be doing a 'tune/pulley install day' in San Diego?

You are correct no ECU tune is necessary to use the +1.8psi upper SC pulley. However as you can see from the attached graph the vast majority of HP and TQ (+70awhp and awtq at peak and over 85awhp and awtq lower in the rpm band) is made via ECU tuning. The pulley adds another 30awhp/25-28awtq on top of the tune. So to fully optimize the upper pulley, yes a ECU remap is recommended.

Yes the upper pulley is much easier to visually spot vs an ECU tune however MM has you covered unless the slightly smaller (gaining boost via a PD supercharger is done via a smaller upper and/or larger lower to spin the blower faster) upper is proven to be the cause of a failure.

We can do the tuning anytime, we are still working on setting up a permanent shop outside of the dealer's shop we work in presently, however the install can be done there in the meantime. So yes, just shoot us an email or PM as to when you're thinking and we can get you pulley'd and tuned asap at the GB rate if you're willing to come down to the Irvine area. If you wanted to do SD, it's possible but we'd be at the mercy of the installing dealer's schedule as far as the upper.

Attached Thumbnails VMax +10mm & +20mm Crank Pulleys-jag-std-single-graph.jpg  

Last edited by VMaxTuning; 12-26-2015 at 04:42 PM.
355rockit (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by VMaxTuning
The lower is a direct bolt-on and, requires no grinding to go on. You may recall that depending on MY the shaft where the upper SC pulley mounts may need grinding for any aftermarket pulley to fit. Definitely a cleaner and easier install than an upper.
In fact, the lower pulley is far easier to install than the upper. The upper needs to be heated and yanked with a massive puller, and the hood needs to be removed for proper access. The lower is easily accessed from below and is a simple bolt on as VMax has stated.

VMaxTuning (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Initial GB pricing will be 20-30% lower than List pricing. We are looking at between $995-1295 depending on how many we end up making of each.
Does this pricing include the tune or just the pulley alone? Seems awfully steep for just the pulley.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Does this pricing include the tune or just the pulley alone? Seems awfully steep for just the pulley.

Just the pulley. We will have another package deal (with ECU tune and optional upper for those that don't already have it) when the lowers are ready.

As far as pricing please keep in mind we start with an OEM Jaguar lower crank pulley and nothing is set in stone yet. I'd rather estimate high and come in low than vice versa.

Add to it we've actually R&D'd the pulleys (+10mm) on two cars for 10k miles, and again the market for these parts isn't huge. We will also have to give cost pricing to three forum members to post their own objective dyno, vbox and hopefully track results.

Thank You
VMax

Last edited by VMaxTuning; 12-26-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Sorry I missed the clearest potential issue with pricing, List will be $995-$1295, GB pricing will be 20-30% lower. Sorry if that was confusing.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

You are correct no ECU tune is necessary to use the +1.8psi upper SC pulley. However as you can see from the attached graph the vast majority of HP and TQ (+70awhp and awtq at peak and over 85awhp and awtq lower in the rpm band) is made via ECU tuning. The pulley adds another 30awhp/25-28awtq on top of the tune. So to fully optimize the upper pulley, yes a ECU remap is recommended.

Yes the upper pulley is much easier to visually spot vs an ECU tune however MM has you covered unless the slightly smaller (gaining boost via a PD supercharger is done via a smaller upper and/or larger lower to spin the blower faster) upper is proven to be the cause of a failure.

We can do the tuning anytime, we are still working on setting up a permanent shop outside of the dealer's shop we work in presently, however the install can be done there in the meantime. So yes, just shoot us an email or PM as to when you're thinking and we can get you pulley'd and tuned asap at the GB rate if you're willing to come down to the Irvine area. If you wanted to do SD, it's possible but we'd be at the mercy of the installing dealer's schedule as far as the upper.
Sorry if this has already been asked, but would these pulleys fit all versions of the 5.0 SC engine? (Namely the 5.0L XKR )

Old 12-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Sorry if this has already been asked, but would these pulleys fit all versions of the 5.0 SC engine? (Namely the 5.0L XKR )
Unless there is a chassis component (brace) AC line, oil line that gets in the way that isn't used on the F Type all AJ Series III SC V8s are the same from blower to exhaust port, so yes.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry I missed the clearest potential issue with pricing, List will be $995-$1295, GB pricing will be 20-30% lower. Sorry if that was confusing.
VMax, I'll trust you'll treat us fairly.
Put me down officially as #1 for the +20mm GB.
Hopefully, others will follow suit shortly.That is really the only choice for any V6 that wants a reasonable amount of additional boost.

VMaxTuning (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Former Sponsor

VMax, I'll trust you'll treat us fairly.
Put me down officially as #1 for the +20mm GB.
Hopefully, others will follow suit shortly.That is really the only choice for any V6 that wants a reasonable amount of additional boost.
You can count on that. Not here to make a killing, just need to cover our butts and dish out quality parts/tuning and have drivers of other Euro high performance makes staring at a cats *** for once.

Understood on the limitations of the V6 and V6S as far as increased boost. One of the additional hardware mods we have in R&D now may be of interest to you as well (it will work as well on the V6 cars as the V8s). We'll keep the forum posted when it's ready to be released.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:46 AM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Per your comment on the upper pulley, it may be optimal to go for the lower pulley instead of the upper (given I just want to do the one pulley for now). With stock upper pulley, no tune and the +10mm upgrade lower pulley, would it be safe to assume a ~30 HP increase at the wheels?

Old 12-27-2015, 01:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 355rockit
Per your comment on the upper pulley, it may be optimal to go for the lower pulley instead of the upper (given I just want to do the one pulley for now). With stock upper pulley, no tune and the +10mm upgrade lower pulley, would it be safe to assume a ~30 HP increase at the wheels?
Honestly any decent shop, euro or domestic, that has experience swapping an upper SC pulley will not have an issue putting the +1.8psi upper on. It will yield 30awhp (more rwhp due to lesser driveline loss) at a significantly cheaper price. If you're set on lower only I'd go +20mm which should equate to approximately the same gains as the upper.

Please keep in mind the ECU tune was already in place when the 30awhp gains were achieved post ECU tuning. A/F was altered via the ECU tune (along with tq management modifications) so the gains are objectively speaking with ECU and the pulley, which may not be the same as simply adding the pulley.

Thank You

Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 AM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Count me in for both pulleys, however I'll go with my local tuner for the ECU (weather conditions where I'm living are quite harsh).

Are you planning on offering any package deals in terms of hardware (both pulleys and exhaust)?

Intrigued to see what's coming next!

Edit: Also any estimates for gains in WHP and WTQ for RWD v6s with all your hardware mods?

Old 12-27-2015, 04:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ss23
Count me in for both pulleys, however I'll go with my local tuner for the ECU (weather conditions where I'm living are quite harsh).

Are you planning on offering any package deals in terms of hardware (both pulleys and exhaust)?

Edit: Also any estimates for gains in WHP and WTQ for RWD v6s with all your hardware mods?

Where are you located. Climate and fuel quality don't get any worse than K.S.A. and Panama. K.S.A takes the temp crown, Panama the humidity, however both countries 95 RON is actually on par with R+M/2 89 octane. K.S.A. also has the dubious title of having the most particulates in their fuel. If you book the dyno we'll send a laptop/slave to dial you in per your climate and fuel quality. No problem.

Yes, whenever we release a new product there will be GB pricing on partial or full packages (software and hardware), so you will always have the opportunity to take advantage of the best pricing we can offer.

I don't want to throw numbers out there until we have some objective data to base them off of. I can say that we plan on making more safe HP/TQ than any other tuner with these platforms.

Thank You
VMax

Old 12-27-2015, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member

ss23,
Do you have a V6 or a V8? If V6, you'll just want the lower +20mm pulley. The upper pulley that XMax is offering is about -1.5mm compared to the stock V6 pulley, so not worth the expense of the swap. The upper pulley swap only makes sense on the V8.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
ss23 (12-27-2015), VMaxTuning (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 04:51 AM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Where are you located. Climate and fuel quality don't get any worse than K.S.A. and Panama. K.S.A takes the temp crown, Panama the humidity, however both countries 95 RON is actually on par with R+M/2 89 octane. K.S.A. also has the dubious title of having the most particulates in their fuel. If you book the dyno we'll send a laptop/slave to dial you in per your climate and fuel quality. No problem.

Yes, whenever we release a new product there will be GB pricing on partial or full packages (software and hardware), so you will always have the opportunity to take advantage of the best pricing we can offer.

I don't want to throw numbers out there until we have some objective data to base them off of. I can say that we plan on making more safe HP/TQ than any other tuner with these platforms.

Thank You
VMax
I'm actually in the UAE so similar climate as KSA!

ss23,
Do you have a V6 or a V8? If V6, you'll just want the lower +20mm pulley. The upper pulley that XMax is offering is about -1.5mm compared to the stock V6 pulley, so not worth the expense of the swap. The upper pulley swap only makes sense on the V8.
Ah alright, thanks Unhingd for that. I do indeed have the V6 so will only go with the lower pulley then!

VMax, could you also see my thread here please? Would really appreciate your inputs with this.

Last edited by ss23; 12-27-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Ah alright, thanks Unhingd for that. I do indeed have the V6 so will only go with the lower pulley then!
Fantastic! That now makes two of us for the +20mm lower pulley.

VMax,
It appears you have the ability to offer 5 levels of SC overdrive for the V8 engines:
1) Lower +10mm pulley only - 6%
2) Upper pulley swap only - 9%
3) Lower +20mm pulley only - 12%
4) Lower +10mm pulley and upper - 15.5%
5) Lower +20mm pulley and upper - 22 %

Based on this, the +20mm pulley is the better alternative to the +10mm, unless you are trying to stay below 12% overdrive or want to maximize the SC overdrive without going crazy at 22%. (Yes, I'm making a pitch for more +20mm orders)

Given the efficiency curves for our SC is the 22% really doable?

Quick Reply: VMax +10mm & +20mm Crank Pulleys