F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is my 2015 Type R Coupe worth? w/ Carbon brakes/Project 7 wheels. Pics included

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is my 2015 Type R Coupe worth? w/ Carbon brakes/Project 7 wheels. Pics included

I have a 2015 Coupe Type R with 20k miles. Has the carbon ceramic brake option ($15k?) Vision package, Black out package, Wheels from a project 7 car and lowered. I absolutely love it and it drives amazing however, I am driving this daily and the wife will need to drive it sometimes as well. As much as the RWD is extremely fun, I need AWD. Its a bit too fast and the rear end lets lose is a little unsafe for the wife. If she needs to take it work when its raining/snowing.

I am unable to find any Type Rs with the Carbon ceramic brakes for sale, so I am unsure what kind of value this ads? Currently the prices seem to be around $59-62k without the brakes and or those wheels. Do they add big value? or not much?

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Use https://www.kbb.com/ to determine market price of your car. Generally, options retain 10% of value when selling. That is, in almost all circumstances your fully loaded car costs about as much as a bare-bones car of the same model and vintage.

Also, rear end losing traction can be largely solved by upgrading tires to Micheline Pilot 4S or Super Sport. Stock P-Zero tires is the main reason why you can't put that power down and feel unsafe driving it in the rain.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

+1 on the tires....also, would it be less intimidating if operated in "rain and snow " mode ?
just trying to keep you in the fold...

Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Wait you just got this like two weeks ago, no?

Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 PM

Yes I just got it a few weeks ago. Maybe I can try new tires, but the wife accelerates quite a bit and has been losing control even with traction control ON when I was in car with her several times. AWD Should eliminate this fear all together. Does the snow mode help that much? We were just in normal mode.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by gotacamaro
Yes I just got it a few weeks ago.
Probably worth about what you paid then.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (08-16-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by gotacamaro
AWD Should eliminate this fear all together.
AWD won't solve the problem of pedal mashing, it will actually make onset of loss of traction a four wheel event instead of rear end sliding around.

What you need to do is send your wife to a racing prep school, so she knows how to control the car and how to recover from a skid.

Also get better tires, it will make MORE difference than AWD.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
AWD won't solve the problem of pedal mashing
This pretty much sums it up. It's a beast and if you twist its tail things will get "interesting" pretty quickly.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Like I said on another thread, rather than change the car change the missus!
Seriously though you would probably take a huge financial hit to sell the RWD R and buy an equivalent AWD R, if you could find one, much better and cheaper to invest in some decent summer tyres (MPS4S) and/or some proper winter tyres, and teach the missus to use rain/ice/snow mode all the time.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

$64K. Ceramics adding about $2k value for the average value. Totally agree with OxXFR on the tires.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:12 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Edit

I just realized you have RWD versus AWD. In that case the best course of action is to upgrade the tires to Michelin 4S. The P-Zeros aren't great at sticking to the ground. If you really think the car is too fast. Talk to VAP, maybe they can provide you with a tune that reduces the power of the car and he can adjust the throttle response as well.

Last edited by zmoothg; 08-16-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM

Thanks Guys. A new set of tires is worth shot. There are cases where this car may need to drive in some snowy conditions only 5 miles to wifes work. I assume RWD will have no shot at this, another reason I am considering AWD in the future. I splurged on this RWD because it was for sale locally and didn't do my research. I see AWD 2016's and 2017's for somewhat similar to what i paid which is why I was considering swapping even if i lose a little $.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Edit

I just realized you have RWD versus AWD. In that case the best course of action is to upgrade the tires to Michelin 4S. The P-Zeros aren't great at sticking to the ground. If you really think the car is too fast. Talk to VAP, maybe they can provide you with a tune that reduces the power of the car and he can adjust the throttle response as well.
+1 on this just changed myself to MP4S and the difference is night and day get those horrible Pirelli's off and good rubber on.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

AWD doesn't guarantee you anything in the snow necessarily. Snow/winter tires, now that may be an option....

Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

And save the old tires - shockingly, there are fools that will buy the P Zero's used! I frequently sell my 2/3 to 3/4 worn tires on craigslist all the time, get a quick $400 for the set.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Put it in rain/snow mode, not scary at all unless you try.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
AWD won't solve the problem of pedal mashing, it will actually make onset of loss of traction a four wheel event instead of rear end sliding around.

What you need to do is send your wife to a racing prep school, so she knows how to control the car and how to recover from a skid.

Also get better tires, it will make MORE difference than AWD.
Hahahhaaa ....Nailed it. Send the wifey to driving/racing school for a few days. She'll be drifting the Cat like a champ.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Probably worth about what you paid then.
Actually, it's probably worth slightly less than you paid for it otherwise someone else would have bought it before you, right? I can tell you that current Manheim/Wholesale values are for recent '15 Rs is between $48K & $57K so average wholesale is $52K (non ceramics) & MAX wholesale is $57K (ceramics). Dealer will likely strive to profit at least $5K so $62K is likely retail & private party should be somewhere between those two numbers. LOVE your wheels BTW so bump it another $2K just for those so try asking $64K and see if it flys

You could put snow tires on it but a lowered sports car in the snow could turn the front splitter into a poorly designed snow plow as in $1,500 to replace the likely broken parts after the first 5-inch snowfall

Last edited by ndabunka; 08-16-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Burt Gummer (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
And save the old tires - shockingly, there are fools that will buy the P Zero's used! I frequently sell my 2/3 to 3/4 worn tires on craigslist all the time, get a quick $400 for the set.

What about at least keeping the best front/rear just for an at-home spare in case you get an unrepairable flat and need a temporary tire replacement?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Ooooooooooookay..............................(whil e searching for the valium)

Let me see if I got this right ~ We bought a high performance car and now we want to star in "The Fast and the Furious"

So, a few disclaimers first:
1 ~ I am a woman
2 ~ I am blonde
3 ~ I have driven this car in the triple digits (very easy to do )
4 ~ I have had this car on track ( Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course)
5 ~ I have never lost control of the rear end
6 ~ It does not get the privilege to be beaten up by salt and snow....and sometimes rain

And, now for my .02 cents:

Both of you need to take a couple of steps back and take a huge breathe
You need to buy a good life insurance policy on her
You need to buy her a pair of Jimmy Choo's without the lead bottoms
Before you let her play in someone else's sandbox, take her to Summit Point Motorsports Park | 4 Road Racing Circuits and Much More, it is where the Secret Service train. And, they have a Driver's Education weekend coming up in October. You would enjoy it also.
A nice E Pace may suit her.

You are a very smart man to come on this forum and ask for advice. You have a magnificent driving machine and we would all like to see it kept in one piece. All the advice given has been 'spot on.'

Enjoy in good health

Chawumba (08-17-2018)

Quick Reply: What is my 2015 Type R Coupe worth? w/ Carbon brakes/Project 7 wheels. Pics included