F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels/tires stolen, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheels/tires stolen, need advice

I woke up the other morning to my neighbor knocking, telling me that my F-Type R's wheels and tires are gone. I went outside and the car was on plastic crates, with no wheels/tires.

I've since gotten a insurance quote for quite a bit ($6800), which breaks down to $980 per wheel, $550 for wheel lock kit, and $381 per tire. They've quoted for Gyrodyne wheels, which are not what my car had - my car had the T2R3291 style wheels. They also quoted for Michelin XL Pilot Sport 4S tires.

1) The car is three years old, so I'd be willing to go for a lightly used wheel to save money - is that advisable? There's a number of sites (like originalwheels.com) who have the wheel for $680/wheel, or the Gyrodynes for $500/wheel.

2) Is it a bad idea to go with Gyrodyne if my car didn't have Gyrodyne's before? In terms of resale I mean.

3) Should I go for cheaper non-OEM tires? Again, would that be inadvisable for resale?

4) This is a separate issue, but I looked on badvin.org (a VIN site) to see if there's any report showing up about this, and I noticed a 2017 damage report which was not there when I purchased the vehicle last year. Can I get more information anywhere? Will this kill my resale??

Last edited by maxiedaniels; 05-20-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Not shure about the alloys (that has a lot to do with taste and preference), but the Michelin P4S is probabely the best tyres you can get for the F-type - and way better than the P-Zero most cars were delivered with as new.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM
ORG
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your insurance paying for the costs minus deductible? If so, you have many options including getting the wheels and tires of your choice so long as they give you a payout. Generally, not having OEM wheels does decrease the value, tires not so much.

For question 4: How serious is the documented damage? If you were sold the car at a dealership and the damage was not presented on a vehicle history report then you may get a lawyer and pursue the value for the misrepresentation. My friend bought a lightly used M3 that was gorgeous. It had a clean title on purchase, but updated later with structural damage on CarFax. He got legal representation and got an amiable settlement.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ORG
Is your insurance paying for the costs minus deductible? If so, you have many options including getting the wheels and tires of your choice so long as they give you a payout. Generally, not having OEM wheels does decrease the value, tires not so much.

For question 4: How serious is the documented damage? If you were sold the car at a dealership and the damage was not presented on a vehicle history report then you may get a lawyer and pursue the value for the misrepresentation. My friend bought a lightly used M3 that was gorgeous. It had a clean title on purchase, but updated later with structural damage on CarFax. He got legal representation and got an amiable settlement.
I can't find any details about the damage unfortunately, All it says is 'damage reported'.

Also, are you saying if I stick to another OEM wheel for the same model, then I should be good with resale?

Last edited by maxiedaniels; 05-20-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:49 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by maxiedaniels
Also, are you saying if I stick to another OEM wheel for the same model, then I should be good with resale?
If you buy a new (non-stock) F-Type you have to configure it with the wheels you want, so a used F-Type could come with a variety of wheels (though not on the same car, obviously!) so any OEM wheel would be seen as appropriate for the car.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:33 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

I woke up the other morning to my neighbor knocking, telling me that my F-Type R's wheels and tires are gone. I went outside and the car was on plastic crates, with no wheels/tires.

I've since gotten a insurance quote for quite a bit ($6800), which breaks down to $980 per wheel, $550 for wheel lock kit, and $381 per tire. They've quoted for Gyrodyne wheels, which are not what my car had - my car had the T2R3291 style wheels. They also quoted for Michelin XL Pilot Sport 4S tires.

1) The car is three years old, so I'd be willing to go for a lightly used wheel to save money - is that advisable? There's a number of sites (like originalwheels.com) who have the wheel for $680/wheel, or the Gyrodynes for $500/wheel.

2) Is it a bad idea to go with Gyrodyne if my car didn't have Gyrodyne's before? In terms of resale I mean.

3) Should I go for cheaper non-OEM tires? Again, would that be inadvisable for resale?

4) This is a separate issue, but I looked on badvin.org (a VIN site) to see if there's any report showing up about this, and I noticed a 2017 damage report which was not there when I purchased the vehicle last year. Can I get more information anywhere? Will this kill my resale??
If you want a set of wheel locks, I'll sell you mine. They came with the car and the first thing I did was take them off. Still in the box.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Don't forget tire pressure monitors. They're not cheap if you buy them from Jaguar. ~$250 per wheel if I remember; i bought a set off ebay when I swapped wheels.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

If they give you a check made out to only you get what you really want. The way these have depreciated I don't think it will make a difference in value, unless you go low ball.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 877 Posts

I'd put the money toward forged wheels. I am constantly amazed at the difference it made to my car, all good. Those OEM wheels are like black holes, weight wise.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:53 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Tire rack has these if you go after market and want to pocket some cash! I also put Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 on my car. The speed rating is 168 mph vs the 186 mph
They got great reviews. I replaced some Kumho's. I love these tires. Unless you track the car at any where near those speeds it doesn't matter!

There are good and bad aftermarket wheels. The feel of the car with any wheel stock or after market comes down to the setup. 3 things;
1. alignment,
2 suspension.
3 tire and wheel balance done correctly

For normal driving a good alignment and wheel and tire balance. So finding a shop that specializes in alignments is a good thing. you might pay a little more but
It will make a difference in how the car handles.

One other thing to consider if you keep your cars long term and don't change cars like underwear. The resale of these is not good anyway. My car stickered at $109k
I purchased it for under $40k. Its simple math. These cars do not hold their value and that's what is both good and bad about them. If you are a buyer it's good,
seller not so good! If you are buying as investment the car would need to be a garage queen and maybe 40 years from now it might rise back up. That's a maybe.

Put wheels on it that you like and can afford and drive and enjoy it.!

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...6Wheel+Package
These come in at just over 28lbs

Last edited by 2004XJ8; 05-21-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I would not cheapen on tires, as this impacts both safety and enjoyment of your car. Why even have F-type is you have short school bus tires on it?

Old 05-21-2020, 09:27 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Read as many reviews as you can on tires and brands.

For me choice and needs comes down to your driving habits.
lots of things to factor in.

Tire type (summer performance or all season)
ride quality
wear (how long will they last with your driving habits)
Noise
handling on wet and dry. (I don't drive my car in the rain unless caught in the rain)

Again how well tires preform and last is only as good a how you have maintained your car. Putting new tires of any price on a car that has bad shocks, alignment,
out of round wheels that won't hold air or has other mechanical problems is just a waste.

There are lots of good tire brands to choose from and very subjective.
I like to do my own research and home work and not drink the cool aid.

Last edited by 2004XJ8; 05-21-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:34 AM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

As several have stated already, buy the best tire for your needs....summer or all season. There is numerous threads on tires and thousands of replies on who has the best tire. IMO the Michelin PS4 is the best choice for street use.

wheels: stay with the same size wheel if going OEM which will provide the new buyer to just pass by the wheels. You can pick any wheel of your choice as our cars came with several choices.
Or if this had happened to me... time to upgrade to a forged wheel, fully forged or flow formed. BC or VS forged wheels are two popular brands here and are stunning to look at and provide a whole new feel to the driving characteristics of the car. But these wheels have a longer turn around and your car will be sitting on milk crates for awhile.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I'd put the money toward forged wheels. I am constantly amazed at the difference it made to my car, all good. Those OEM wheels are like black holes, weight wise.
+1, but more like boat anchors.