F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's the actuall leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where's the actual leather?

I have a 2016 Base model without the full leather package. I'm trying to determine exactly which parts of the interior are leather besides the leather surrounding the suede/felt center of the seats. It appears to me that the dash in front of the passenger side, the armrests both sides, the strip along the top of the door below the windows both sides and the hand grip thing separating the driver and passenger area are leather. The rest seems to be padded leather-like vinyl? Can someone please let me know? I don't want to apply leather cleaner/conditioner on the vinyl as the instructions don't mention any other surface that is OK to use it on. Thanks all.

Last edited by Mfiles; 04-11-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 04-11-2019, 02:03 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

That’s pretty much it besides the steering wheel and center armrest if you have the base.

If you’re looking for something to use on literally every other surface inside, pick up some Griots Garage Interior Detailer. Works perfectly even on those sticky plastic bits (buttons, steering wheel trim, seat control/door handle trim, nav screen, rear cowel, dash etc). I use it liberally with their blue glass cleaning double-sided towels (there’s no fiber lint when using the high pile side). It won’t leave the trim shiny or sticky, looks factory new. Only thing i could find for those sticky parts until I just recently paid thousands at the dealer to have them all replaced.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick response and suggestion, much appreciated.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WJV
That’s pretty much it besides the steering wheel and center armrest if you have the base.

If you’re looking for something to use on literally every other surface inside, pick up some Griots Garage Interior Detailer. Works perfectly even on those sticky plastic bits (buttons, steering wheel trim, seat control/door handle trim, nav screen, rear cowel, dash etc). I use it liberally with their blue glass cleaning double-sided towels (there’s no fiber lint when using the high pile side). It won’t leave the trim shiny or sticky, looks factory new. Only thing i could find for those sticky parts until I just recently paid thousands at the dealer to have them all replaced.
No reason to pay tye dealership thousands for that. I removed my sticky trim pieces, stripped the gooey paint off them, and sprayed them in a similar, but actually better, looking color. It was an easy project and only took a few hours with disassembly and reassembly. Only cost me a few bucks and looks great. I cleaned up any sticky buttons with alcohol. I’m still working on a couple of remaining details, but overall I’m very pleased with the results, and certainly pleased to not have paid a dealer thousands to replace parts that should never have been an issue to begin with.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Yes the sticky buttons can be fixed using Nutrogena makeup wipes. They work but it does take a bit of scrubbing.
So glad to get rid of ALL the sticky buttons!

Old 09-13-2023, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes the sticky buttons can be fixed using Nutrogena makeup wipes. They work but it does take a bit of scrubbing.
So glad to get rid of ALL the sticky buttons!
I found the isopropyl alcohol to be more effective than the makeup wipes, but you do need to be careful when cleaning the buttons to avoid rubbing off the paint. Best approach I've found is to rubbing lightly with alcohol and microfiber cloth to soften the coating, then brush lightly with a soft-bristle toothbrush to loosen it up, then finally scrape the coating off carefully using a thin guitar pick or similar scraper. Avoid scrubbing hard or paint will come off and then you're talking about the expense of replacing buttons or having them refinished by a company such as StickyRX.

Most of my buttons came out OK. My steering wheel buttons were too far gone, so I remove most of the paint from them and then installed button caps designed for the Jaguar button packs which you can find on eBay or AliExpress. This is much less expensive than replacing the button packs and mine came out pretty good. I used the silver finished ones and I'm happy with the appearance. If doing this, you need to scrape the paint off the buttons first so that the backlighting will look good through the caps, then heat the 3M tape in the button cap with a heat gun or hair dryer, and then install and press firmly. This should ensure that the caps don't come loose in the future. Of course, the other option is buying new button packs or find used ones on eBay or at a salvage yard. That will cost much more, though.