Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did I buy an F-Type...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

@DJS.
Many coupe's too , there is a line developing here..
You must be an accountant, when you had the Licoln and Mercury keeping them for their economic life span..

Old 06-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

@tberg.

Adding to the newly discovered common denominator ; many coupe's as well !!!
Well, no problem you don't have an F-Type yet ; JLR needs prospective buyers too..
At least you're loyal to the Jaguar brand !
I bet 1980-2004 several kids at home , station wagons or MPV..

De Tomaso Pantera.. .. I've never seen for real.. ..legendary car..

PS. I envy your big garage.. .. I'm not allowed to built even a carport ; all buildings in use by horses and guesthouse..
Have ongoing legal battle with council for 10yrs ; no justice in the Netherlands. High Courts are civil servants only
objective is to follow proper proceedings, not if the arguements add up or not..

The following users liked this post:
tberg (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 01:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,074 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@DJS.
Many coupe's too , there is a line developing here..
You must be an accountant, when you had the Licoln and Mercury keeping them for their economic life span..
The other option is that somehow, I’ve remained single and don’t need the backseat often. And I’m an engineer - enjoyed the hybrid power train and CVT on the Mercury, until I finally got bored with it. Switching from the F-type summer car to the Milan hybrid winter car felt like switching to a school bus.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

@DJS
But the XE next to the F-Type, I can not understand that one. Why not the F-Pace , as its your winter motor..

Well, in the US a marriage lasts 5 years roughly, so a lot of members changed wife's before cars I guess...
I am married 25 years, but that doesn't say much if its good or bad.. I always have this Neil Young in the back of my mind..

Old 06-24-2018, 02:58 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,074 Likes on 1,378 Posts

@DJS
But the XE next to the F-Type, I can not understand that one. Why not the F-Pace , as its your winter motor..
XE AWD is perfect for me. Never needed more than FWD in New England, but XE is rear-biased AWD and has a great ride and nice handling. 250HP 2.0l turbo is perfect for me - nice power, but I didn’t need sports car power, I already have that. And it gets 33mpg highway, which matters to me. And it’s a nice size - too tight for 4 passengers all the time, but perfectly fine occasionally.

Can’t quite fit my golf clubs in the trunk without taking the woods out, or putting one of the rear seats down. But I can live with that.

Plus, like many, I hate, hate, hate SUVs.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

@DJS.
Well argued. I don't hate SUV's though. I am 1.975m tall [ almost two, never get komma/dot right in US] and have multiple spinal and muscle/nerve issues.
The Discovery [ and strangely the FT] are two cars I can position the seat such as not having any pain in the driving position. We have a small Alfa, but that
seat gave up under my 105Kg. I'm just a big bloke, not fat. Seats are made for "95%" of population. I literally don't fit in that group..

I really can only sit in two small cars [kind of] : the VW UP! in automatic and the #MiTo... The rest force my lower back into a clinch due to lack of legroom.
Or the seats don't fit [ eg Evoque ; ears of the chairs collide with my shoulders ] and so on. I think I tried 200 cars the last few years.

In the XE my head hits the ridge above the door...

Last edited by Dan_NL; 06-24-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I surely hope so, otherwise you wasted a lot of money...

But I think my D3 is far better on pavement then the FJ and [ with proper offroad tyres, which I never got ] , would be comparable or better in the bush..
Maybe some australian forum member can comment on that..

I know Toyota's are disered as they can be fixed with a bent screwdriver [ so to speak ], but from the D3 forum I know in South Africa they're keen on Landrovers,
as they offer unprecedented comfort offroad..
Yes...But can you clean out the interior with a pressure washer?

Old 06-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes...But can you clean out the interior with a pressure washer?
Yes you can clean it with a pressure washer.. .. would need a few weeks to dry out though...

But Discovery drivers don't NEED to get dirty, that why I think they are the better deal... .. you don't have to rope em or dig em out...

Go and try a D4 V8 5.0L pertrol or SDV8 diesel , I can almost bet you don't dare as you're afraid to get hooked..

Look at this lovely V8.....

Last edited by Dan_NL; 06-24-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added url