F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window operation question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Window operation question

Guys, my driver side window's "convenience" feature appears not to work fully: it doesn't automatically go all the way up when I do a full click on the button. What's weird is: (1) It goes all the way down no problem, and (2) the passenger side goes both all the way up and all the way down. Any one else have this issue? I can't find any setting in the "Systems" setting for this, so I don't think it's a set up issue. Appreciate anyone checking their car and letting me know if there's does (or does not) have this issue, or if anyone knows what the solution is... Feeling stupid.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pabanker
Guys, my driver side window's "convenience" feature appears not to work fully: it doesn't automatically go all the way up when I do a full click on the button. What's weird is: (1) It goes all the way down no problem, and (2) the passenger side goes both all the way up and all the way down. Any one else have this issue? I can't find any setting in the "Systems" setting for this, so I don't think it's a set up issue. Appreciate anyone checking their car and letting me know if there's does (or does not) have this issue, or if anyone knows what the solution is... Feeling stupid.
That happens to me occasionally. Havent figured out what triggers it yet.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

pabanker - The windows have a safety feature that will stop them from closing if they hit an obstruction. This can happen sometimes even during normal operation - when there is no obstruction.

The procedure to RESET the windows is in the Owners Handbook. Albeit the description is a little hard to follow. To reset the window, first open it all the way. Then using the switch on the door, hold the switch in the close position untill the window closes all the way. Don't release the switch after it closes. Keep holding it in the close position for a further 2 to 5 seconds. The window one-touch feature should now operate correctly.

For those who are interested, here is the write-up from page 140 of the US Owners Handbook:
Name:  Window Reset - p140.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  21.3 KB

The following 4 users liked this post by nscott:
Mulmur (06-28-2014), pabanker (06-29-2014), PD2911 (06-28-2014), schraderade (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 PM

Nscott it is not a window reset issue, but thanks. The problem is with the "convenience" feature. The driver-side window doesn't automatically go up when I fully engage its window button (ie, when the detent clicks). It's weird because the passenger side window works fine.

I am wondering if anyone else noticed this on their F Type. Or if there is some setting I'm missing in the car's Set Up.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Nscott it is not a window reset issue, but thanks. The problem is with the "convenience" feature. The driver-side window doesn't automatically go up when I fully engage its window button (ie, when the detent clicks). It's weird because the passenger side window works fine.

I am wondering if anyone else noticed this on their F Type. Or if there is some setting I'm missing in the car's Set Up.
Actually, the symptom of a window needing to be reset *is* the disabling of the auto-up feature. The car no longer knows the exact position of the window glass, so to prevent damage, it disables the auto-up feature. Following the reset procedure above lets the car figure out the glass position. This is a common issue.

Last edited by another_geek; 06-28-2014 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pabanker (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Success! You were right, it was a window reset issue. Hilariously, right after I fixed the driver-side window, the passenger-side window started misbehaving. I reset that one too, of course, and now have two fully functioning windows. A little nervous now though, since I haven't had any window obstructions and the car is brand new, I'm wondering if I will have to deal with this little window irritant always cropping up.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

the most common cause is a low or disconnected battery. the xk and xj have issues with the battery draining when parked. it wouldnt surprise me if the f-type has similar issues. i havent received my car yet so i dont know first hand though.

The following users liked this post:
ldmack3 (11-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

There may be a reason that Jaguar sell a trickle charger...