F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage (Battery Tender Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok...hooked my batt tender up as per diagram, but isn’t charging (flashing red light). But if I connect directly to the battery, it does start charging, so appears tender is working....

many say though not to connect directly to the battery, but if whats in the diagram isnt working....any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:44 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Maybe the problem is in the lead you've connected to the alleged charging points?

Old 11-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Not sure I follow you....the charger appears to be working - just not when hooked up as per the diagram posted her. My vehicle and all systems are working, so I assume the connection point on the car itself is functioning....hence the reason I am confused. Hooked up as per diagram, not working - yet not sure how to troubleshoot that. My knowledge of electrical 'stuff' is very limited. Appreciate any suggestions.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:02 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Not sure about your charger but with my CTEK there are different leads for croc clips and bolt-ons, and the charger plugs into one or the other. I was suggesting that the bolt-on lead might have a problem. If your install is different, this won't apply.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Gillespie
Not sure I follow you....the charger appears to be working - just not when hooked up as per the diagram posted her. My vehicle and all systems are working, so I assume the connection point on the car itself is functioning....hence the reason I am confused. Hooked up as per diagram, not working - yet not sure how to troubleshoot that. My knowledge of electrical 'stuff' is very limited. Appreciate any suggestions.
I just hooked MY19 up to a CTEK, no issues. Do you have a picture?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Gillespie
Ok...hooked my batt tender up as per diagram, but isn’t charging (flashing red light). But if I connect directly to the battery, it does start charging, so appears tender is working....

In my case (Ctek tender), flashing reds means battery NEEDS to be charged, orange, charging recommended, green, battery charge level OK.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by KVO
In my case (Ctek tender), flashing reds means battery NEEDS to be charged, orange, charging recommended, green, battery charge level OK.
similar pattern here....my charger is just a red light, meaning not charging.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Not sure about your charger but with my CTEK there are different leads for croc clips and bolt-ons, and the charger plugs into one or the other. I was suggesting that the bolt-on lead might have a problem. If your install is different, this won't apply.
My charger only has the crock clips and been like that for a couple seasons now (left the bolt on ones on a car I sold a few years ago). Maybe the crck clips don’t connect properly as per the diagram?

Do we know what the issue is wiring direct to the battery?

Old 11-14-2018, 10:01 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Wiring directly to the battery bypasses the battery monitoring circuit, so the car doesn't know that battery has been charged. No idea if this matters in the slightest. Unclear to me if the ECO battery would get charged in that scenario.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good tips on longterm storage, Thanks! Especially appreciate the stopper suggestions!

Old 01-22-2020, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate this!!

Old 01-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there anything I need to be aware off when hooking up the tender to the two connection points in the trunk battery compartment.
I'm concerned about unscrewing the two nuts, pos.and neg. Could this harm any of the electronics if there is a spark. Also, will I need to reset anything.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2020, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by maxg
Is there anything I need to be aware off when hooking up the tender to the two connection points in the trunk battery compartment.
I'm concerned about unscrewing the two nuts, pos.and neg. Could this harm any of the electronics if there is a spark. Also, will I need to reset anything.

Thanks
You will need to reprogram your preferred center cluster display and may need to reprogram the auto-up functions and the rear hatch if you have a coupe. All easy things to do.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by maxg

Thanks
I've not had to reset anything. If you don't move the wires, your battery won't disconnect. Just unscrew the nuts, throw the battery tender leads on top, and replace the nuts.

The following users liked this post:
1wayst (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Nati. I didn't need to reset anything either.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

I know of one '15 F owner who spiked his convertible's electronics (BCM, maybe) when he hooked up the CTEK charger connections.
He rendered the HVAC controls inop, as well as his center screen.

Don't know the details, he didn't want me to come over and help disconnect his battery or his BCM as others have done. He instead chose to pay to have the local dealer reset his car (that's all he could tell me). Took 'em ~one hour...

Old 01-29-2020, 03:23 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I definitely got some sparks when I installed mine. If I were doing it again, I’d disconnect the battery first, just to be safe.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ve been using battery tenders on cars and motorcycles for many, many years, and almost always connect directly to the battery terminals.
That’s how I have my current MY 18 set up now. Simply opened the trunk, exposed the battery, BT positive to batt positive, BT negative to batt negative, plug in, done. I get the appropriate color code that battery is charging (or charged).
After sitting like this for about a month and a half I disconnected the BT and it started right up. No issues, no resets...
Am I missing something? Hope I’m not damaging anything.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Car batteries give off small amounts of hydrogen gas. That's what that little rubber vent tube is for. If you connect to the terminals right at the battery there is a possibility that the spark when connecting ignites the hydrogen gas

It strikes me that it's a low probability event and seems to be advice that's widely ignored.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Poison Ivy
I’ve been using battery tenders on cars and motorcycles for many, many years, and almost always connect directly to the battery terminals.
That’s how I have my current MY 18 set up now. Simply opened the trunk, exposed the battery, BT positive to batt positive, BT negative to batt negative, plug in, done. I get the appropriate color code that battery is charging (or charged).
After sitting like this for about a month and a half I disconnected the BT and it started right up. No issues, no resets...
Am I missing something? Hope I’m not damaging anything.
Yes, I think you are missing the fact that connecting direct to the negative battery terminal bypasses the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) module and doing so can cause problems. Much better to do as JLR recommend and connect the negative lead from your tender to an earth/ground point. That is why there is a dedicated earth/ground point in the engine bay near to the positive charging post.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage (Battery Tender Questions)