F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage (Battery Tender Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
My memory is that on a 2014, if you connect straight to the main battery, it won't also charge the ECO battery. No idea if it matters.
I don't think it does. I don't think the secondary battery is used for cold start, just ECO starts. Keep in mind, the car can be started without the secondary battery installed.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I think the ECO battery is Lithium-ion, so I don't think it damages it to let it discharge completely, unlike lead-acid.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

OK, so reviving this thread a bit cause I just installed my battery tender similar to the way Oz installed his. If I had to do it over again, I may just go with the temporary solution and attach/detach the cables as needed. Here are some of the speed-bumps that I encountered:

1. Broke my drill bit when I punched through the charging post
2. Couldn't find the perfect length screw, so had to hack saw one or two until I found what I liked
3. The red cap that fits over the charging post is so cut to fit that its almost a "why bother having it" at this point. My connector has a very bulky piece of plastic covering the connection between the ring and the tender wire so I had to snip that down some, but still bulky.
4. Due to the length of my screw, I had to cut the tether to the red charging post cap because that happens to be where the screw was hitting (I was not cutting the screw again)

I think if I had the perfect length screw and my tender wasn't so bulky at the end of the positive wire and I didn't break my drill bit I would have a slightly different outlook.

On a side note, should the stock batteries be charging at 6v or 12v cycle?

Old 01-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by watson6505
OK, so reviving this thread a bit cause I just installed my battery tender similar to the way Oz installed his. If I had to do it over again, I may just go with the temporary solution and attach/detach the cables as needed. Here are some of the speed-bumps that I encountered:

1. Broke my drill bit when I punched through the charging post
2. Couldn't find the perfect length screw, so had to hack saw one or two until I found what I liked
3. The red cap that fits over the charging post is so cut to fit that its almost a "why bother having it" at this point. My connector has a very bulky piece of plastic covering the connection between the ring and the tender wire so I had to snip that down some, but still bulky.
4. Due to the length of my screw, I had to cut the tether to the red charging post cap because that happens to be where the screw was hitting (I was not cutting the screw again)

I think if I had the perfect length screw and my tender wasn't so bulky at the end of the positive wire and I didn't break my drill bit I would have a slightly different outlook.

On a side note, should the stock batteries be charging at 6v or 12v cycle?
12 Volts. The charger actually needs to deliver between 13.6 and 14.1 volts. As far as your other issues. Just connecting to one of the chassis grounds and the positive terminal block would only have taken 3-5 minutes.

The following users liked this post:
Suaro (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I second Unhingd. I have been putting a Jag on a battery manager for a dozen years. I use the standard one that Weather Tech, Jag and a lot of other people sell made by CTEK SWEDEN AB. I use the two posts under the bonnet and gently close it. No drama and very easy. The reason I use the posts is that I am guessing the charge will get to the second battery. But I am just guessing about that. Note that the program selected affects the voltage range. It took me a while to figure that out.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Just connecting to one of the chassis grounds and the positive terminal block would only have taken 3-5 minutes.

DOH!! Thanks for reminding me. I'm hoping I will be glad I went the route I did at some point.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foosh
Battery Tender wiring instructions:

Sorry, mine is currently at the dealer so cannot look. Whereabouts is that? Presumably I need to take a cover off? I used a CTEK for many years to keep my M3 charged but am new to the F Type. Just got mine a month ago. 2018 model. Having said that I intend to use mine throughout the winter (UK) but might lay it up for a week or two if it snows.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:25 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

This is under the trunk. That is for a MY14, I think yours is different.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
This is under the trunk.
+1. Just lift out the storage box and that is all exposed.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Lots of battery tenders out there feature a 'lighter' adapter that you can just plug into the power outlet in the car to charge it. Anyone have experience with one of those and our F-Types? Curious if/how they work compared to something wired directly.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:26 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I think the sockets are ignition switched, so are dead when the car's off.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
I think the sockets are ignition switched, so are dead when the car's off.
That be true. Useless for a battery tender.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:47 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

That be true. Useless for a battery tender.
Interesting, as the Jag website sells a battery tender for the FType and it is designed for the outlet in the trunk (not sure my year or model has an outlet in the trunk, but newer ones must). Maybe the trunk one remains live while the cabin one shuts down?

just seems so confusing about how to hook a tender up properly with the two battery system, was hoping this was the answer.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ron Gillespie

Interesting, as the Jag website sells a battery tender for the FType and it is designed for the outlet in the trunk (not sure my year or model has an outlet in the trunk, but newer ones must). Maybe the trunk one remains live while the cabin one shuts down?

just seems so confusing about how to hook a tender up properly with the two battery system, was hoping this was the answer.
I've never seen an outlet in my trunk ('16). One of the early threads on this forum regarding the tender has the installation instructions for the '14. I believe it was posted by Foosh.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:47 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ron Gillespie
Interesting, as the Jag website sells a battery tender for the FType and it is designed for the outlet in the trunk ...
That would make sense - you wouldn't want your boot fridge to let the beers get warm.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:18 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I think the original kit sold by Jag included a power outlet to be installed in the trunk. That's what you see in pictures that show a power port in the trunk.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:41 AM
scm
Veteran Member

isn't that the port you plug the charger into?

Old 10-30-2018, 08:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Right, but you wire the port in yourself, and presumably wire it into the battery so that it isn't switched. In my case, I attached the Battery Tender pigtail as the MY14 directions show, to the power bus near the battery. I just pull out the pigtail from the battery compartment when I need it, and close the trunk on the battery tender cable.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:31 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I think the original kit sold by Jag included a power outlet to be installed in the trunk. That's what you see in pictures that show a power port in the trunk.
Ctek has a build-in kit - and, it is to some level easier to build in as the kit Jag sells (sold?) as it doesn't need a screw on the backside of the panel.
On the other hand, a rectangle hole is a bit more work to make compare to just drilling a hole.

The one I used - benefit compared to the Jag one, it has indicator leds for battery status.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:51 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I would echo KVO's comments, the CTEK is the same as the jaguar accessory, but with a charge indicator. You can use the installation instructions for the official accessory when installing (not that they are the easiest instruction to understand). If you want to know more you can see here -

Quick Reply: Winter Storage (Battery Tender Questions)