F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another oil overfill.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Yet another oil overfill.

Yup, happened to me, V6 RWD. And I just drove 150 miles like that. Waited 15 min before checking. Guess I'm going to re-read all the threads on this subject tomorrow. It's 2 am now, good luck to me getting any sleep.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Have someone with an extractor take some oil out - probably a quart, then use the electronic dipstick. You can get an extractor good enough for the job pretty cheap.

Don't start it up and drive to the dealer. Was it a dealer that did this?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:25 AM

Yup, dealer. Thanks, I have to pull the plug on tonight, will look again tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:17 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

No excuse for that on a RWD car. I'd tell the dealer to send someone out to your house with an extractor.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

This happened to me as well at a dealership. Jaguar should have sized the US sump to take an even number of quarts - or should calibrate their sensor to allow a little bit more oil in the pan. It's probably an insignificant amount, but without a real dipstick you have no way to tell.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:36 PM

Thanks folks. So I just checked it cold and now it says OK?? I would think that cold, will all the oil drained into the pan, it would read even higher??

Old 02-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Thanks folks. So I just checked it cold and now it says OK?? I would think that cold, will all the oil drained into the pan, it would read even higher??
Oil expands quite a bit when it’s warm, but you should be OK even if it shows overfilled when warm.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:36 PM

OK, that makes sense, thanks once again.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Motor Oil expands about ~5% over a 120F heat range, which would be about 0.4 qt higher when hot with an 8qt volume. Might account for it if it were at the limit when cold(??)

I suppose running the engine up to operating temp and rechecking might 'prove' that?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:37 PM

Thanks mshedden. I think that 0.4 q over is a LOT. I just checked the manual and it specifies to check the oil just the way I did. So I'm going back to my original statement that is is overfilled. Calling those ***** in the morning.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks mshedden. I think that 0.4 q over is a LOT. I just checked the manual and it specifies to check the oil just the way I did. So I'm going back to my original statement that is is overfilled. Calling those ***** in the morning.
That be true. But it does mean you are no more than 1/2 qt high. That should not be a problem. Even so, best to siphon off that 1/2 qt.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

A slight deviation: is there any reason why the oil cannot be checked with the oil cold? When I do this the graph shows the oil to be full, just as I would expect. And I have always checked the oil in my cars after allowing the engine to sit overnight - the idea being that an accurate measurement requires that the oil return fully (or as much as possible) to the sump. So, is a cold measurement not advisable for any particular reason?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:29 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

My manual says the oil should be hot, but to wait at least 10 minutes after the engine is shut off. Which means I don't check it often, as that's a bit awkward.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
My manual says the oil should be hot, but to wait at least 10 minutes after the engine is shut off. Which means I don't check it often, as that's a bit awkward.
Yes, but the waiting for a period of time is to allow the warm/hot oil to drain back into the sump. So the question is this: given that I have waited long enough (much longer) to allow all the warm/hot oil to return to the sump, of what importance now is the temperature of the oil? The oil does not need to move further to be measured. I am just trying to understand a) the concept and b) the reason why a cold measure would not be valid.

and why is the photo turned on its side???? Can it be straightened?

Attached Thumbnails Yet another oil overfill.-img_1824.jpg  

Last edited by sov211; 02-25-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Yes, but the waiting for a period of time is to allow the warm/hot oil to drain back into the sump. So the question is this: given that I have waited long enough (much longer) to allow all the warm/hot oil to return to the sump, of what importance now is the temperature of the oil? The oil does not need to move further to be measured. I am just trying to understand a) the concept and b) the reason why a cold measure would not be valid.

and why is the photo turned on its side???? Can it be straightened?
The warm oil occupies a larger volume because it expands with increased temperature. If it measures 'full' with warm oil, it will measure 'low' with cold oil.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
The warm oil occupies a larger volume because it expands with increased temperature. If it measures 'full' with warm oil, it will measure 'low' with cold oil.
I can vouch for this. I checked my oil level when the car was completely cold and it showed me the oil level almost near to the low .. I got super scared as to my F Type needs oil and I had only driven around 1200 miles in total, but remembered the thread I read. So I drove the car for 30 mins and parked it. Checked it after 10 to 15 mins and the oil level for almost full. This thing scares me a lot ... lol I don't want to ruin my engine just due to the fact I forgot to check the oil.

However, reading information here (full detailed info)
Jaguar Owner Information
^^^^^^ I am not sure what do they mean by
If the message ENGINE OIL PRESSURE LOW is displayed in the Message center, stop the engine as soon as it is safe to do so and seek qualified assistance. Do not start the engine until the cause has been rectified.
Are they going to indicate a low oil level or not. Mine is a 2017 SVR.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Pretty sure "engine oil level low" and "engine oil pressure low" are completely different warnings", although the first problem (low oil) could result in the second problem (low pressure).
Also, I understand that the car will not / cannot warn you of low oil level other than you checking the electronic level readout yourself (ie it's manual not automatic), but it will automatically flash up the "low pressure" warning if it detects low pressure.

The following users liked this post:
death1ord (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 PM

If Unhingd says it's good, I'll go with that. I def want to get it sucked out though. Now I am wondering whether to suck it out myself or have the dealer do it. I don't think I want a potential buyer of the future seeing "overfilled" on the carfax...
I have seen some posts where the sent a tech down or flatbedded it to the dealer. This one is about 50 mi from me....

Old 02-26-2018, 12:23 AM

If Unhingd says it's good, I'll go with that. I def want to get it sucked out though. Now I am wondering whether to suck it out myself or have the dealer do it. I don't think I want a potential buyer of the future seeing "overfilled" on the carfax...
I have seen some posts where the sent a tech down or flatbedded it to the dealer. This one is about 50 mi from me....
I doubt this is *actually* a problem of major significance. If it's overfilled by 0.3-0.4 qts when warm, its not a whole lot in an engine that holds 8qts (its like a cup and a half or so). If the car had a regular dipstick, it might be a hair over the line, and you'd probably not care, but with the computer you get the ominous warning b/c its a hair over and for a computer its either over or its not, so you get the message when it is.

That said, if you invest a few $$ in a hand pump so you can remove oil, or even do your own changes if you want, then more power to you.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

I always check the oil cold and look for it to be at 1/2 to 3/4 on the scale.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (03-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Yet another oil overfill.