Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another oil overfill.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Not certain that it's low grade , but doesn't meet Jag specs. Should be the Castrol Edge Professional.
Its quite low grade, its barely a group 3 oil. Not the group 4 or 5 that our direct injection engines benefit from.
Its dino oil that leaves lots of deposits. Not a true synthetic. Which is precisely why Castrol and others offer the various price points.
Group3 oils dont have the cleaning power either, regardless of brand.

I suppose one can use any oil they like, even coconut oil, the trick is to figure how long you can keep that in the engine.
For heaven's sake, if we are not going to follow Jaguars recommendations, dont follow their oil change interval recommendations either- that's a recipe for loosing HP to carbon deposits.
Ask Walmart for assistance with figuring out the optimal length of time this can stay in the engine, before its cleaning package is depleted.

Those looking for a alternative to dealer oil that is comparable.
Ravenol. It meets the specs and designed for those who care for their cars.
Walmart's target audience is not the Ftype owner.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I would not be comfortable with the concept of operating a mechanical device outside of accepted operating parameters for a sufficient period of time to bring all operating conditions back within spec. For example, operating journal bearings with insufficient clearances until the excessive wear loosened the clearance to spec. Burning oil down to the right level can only accelerate issues related to carbon deposits.
That wasn't my point. We are talking about an 8Q +/- sump and a 1 cup difference in the published volume and the dealer fill. Take a pan the size of the oil sump on this engine, put 7.7Q in it and then add 8 ounces and see if you can measure the difference. Not going to lose any sleep over the dealer servicing my engine with 8Q.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by EJag66
That wasn't my point. We are talking about an 8Q +/- sump and a 1 cup difference in the published volume and the dealer fill. Take a pan the size of the oil sump on this engine, put 7.7Q in it and then add 8 ounces and see if you can measure the difference. Not going to lose any sleep over the dealer servicing my engine with 8Q.
The problem is, you don't know for sure that it's only 1 cup over until you siphon it out to check.
I think what annoys me the most is that the car probably could tell you how much it's overfilled, but Jaguar decided not to incorporate that functionality. I siphoned out around half a quart about 4 weeks ago and now it's reading overfilled again. The only thing that happened between then and now is the ambient temperature went up by a few degrees so I'm not going to lose sleep over it but had I not known that (for example, if someone buys a car that was serviced to spec in the winter and as summertime approaches the car is saying OVERFILLED DO NOT DRIVE VEHICLE OR CATASTROPHIC ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR) it's irritating to say the least.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

And another one. I took my car in today for scheduled maintenance. I went to check oil level at the dealer, but of course, could not as the car wasn't warm. I got home and waited and bam...overfilled. I looked through the service receipt and it states "8 0w20 CASTROL EDGE PRO". I have to assume 8 means 8 quarts.

The service department is closed right now, so I have emailed them to see how they want to resolve this. Niello Jaguar in Sacramento, for reference.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

FYI - The dealer is sending a tech to my house to resolve the issue.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

And issue resolved. Niello sent a tech and a service writer to my house. They had offered to transport the car to the dealer; however, I liked the mobile solution more. There were no excuses, no back peddling, just them doing everything they could to make things right. While I had the tech here, I had him show me some things with the car, like the proper way to close the hood.

They were fast, efficient and extremely courteous. I was presented with multiple options and picked the one that worked best for me. They had put in 7.25 liters and removed roughly .75, checking it along the way. I'll be interested to see what the follow up for the service shop is regarding this and for now, am quite happy with how the dealer handled it.