F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important! RE:AWD Oil Overfill and Ramifications for Corporate

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Important! RE:AWD Oil Overfill and Ramifications for Corporate

As many of us have seen by now, but they're is a discrepancy and issue with the amount of oil going into AWD 16R's. The problem is that corporate never updated the mechanics topix after 2015 following the awd introduction to show a lower oil need for the awd cars.

I would like to know that of those affected, has anyone requested additional repairs or preventative action be taken because of the overfill and if you have, has jaguar done anything in regards to that request?

I have unfortunately also had numerous other small problems and thus have gone to them in a big way for a big swap out. Would be interested to hear if anyone else is in my situation (which may or may not be that you know your about to void the warranty with all those aftermarket parts..... Kidding kidding....hah)

I separate this out because obviously Jag reads these and they should be aware of the fact that this is not isolated.

Chris

Last edited by Chris starko; 05-14-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was ensured that a quart overfill would not damage the engine. However, if I incur any damage in the future, I have documented everything that I have gone through concerning this. Multiple tows and multiple days without the car have been pretty frustrating, directly attributable to the Factory failing to update the online service information for Dealers.

Jag is sending me something for my troubles which does make things more acceptable to me.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It does seem unlikely that an extra quart would cause damage, but it's definitely best to keep things documented. In my case, the dealer had a tech drive down to my house to suction off the excess oil (>100 miles round trip).

Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 1st oil change at 3K on my 2016 R the next morning when checking showed overfilled. My dealer had the car flat bedded back to them and then told me that it was filled correctly but the sensor was bad. In our discussion I pointed out if that was true the technician still failed to check after the oil change which they agreed with. Don't know what really happened but all I can recommend is to check after an oil change and as someone said in another post document and then document again.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by martybmw
On my 1st oil change at 3K on my 2016 R the next morning when checking showed overfilled. My dealer had the car flat bedded back to them and then told me that it was filled correctly but the sensor was bad. In our discussion I pointed out if that was true the technician still failed to check after the oil change which they agreed with. Don't know what really happened but all I can recommend is to check after an oil change and as someone said in another post document and then document again.
I would check to make sure that they only put 6.5 liters in and not 7.25. The overfill line really means nothing because the dealer can reset it to read full no matter what is in there. There is an extended thread on this.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Are you saying the cars were overfilled at factory or at dealers when oil is changed?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Are you saying the cars were overfilled at factory or at dealers when oil is changed?
That's an interesting question. If the factory can install an AWD/R badge on a RWD V6S (Lizzardo's car) or '15 style side skirts on one side and '16 style skirts on the other (Stohlen's car), I suspect there are a some AWD cars running around with a bit too much oil filled at the factory. Since the fluids go in at the end of the assembly process before the car is started, it is certainly conceivable that mistakes are made.

However, I don't think a .75L overfill (80% of a quart) will do any harm.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
There is an extensive thread on this that explains everything.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's an interesting question. If the factory can install an AWD/R badge on a RWD V6S (Lizzardo's car) or '15 style side skirts on one side and '16 style skirts on the other (Stohlen's car), I suspect there are a some AWD cars running around with a bit too much oil filled at the factory. Since the fluids go in at the end of the assembly process before the car is started, it is certainly conceivable that mistakes are made.

However, I don't think a .75L overfill (80% of a quart) will do any harm.
I agree. I found it amusing more than anything else that I had a V6S 6MT AWD R. I also agree that .75L overfill is not cause for *technical* concern.