Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigcat
Apparently that did the trick ...
Congrats!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

they replaced the entire screen unit from another new jaguar on the lot as they did not have a screen in stock and would take forever to get one. Apparently that did the trick as these screens have some kind of module and mine was acting up
That's great customer service--over the years when I suggested something like that I was always told switching out a part with an on lot vehicle was not possible, and the various dealers NEVER suggested that on their own.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
That's great customer service--over the years when I suggested something like that I was always told switching out a part with an on lot vehicle was not possible, and the various dealers NEVER suggested that on their own.
Manufacturers discourage the practice of cannibalizing parts from other new vehicles. It may be tough for the dealer to get fully reimbursed by JLR for the labor, since they incurred the cost of two R&Rs instead of one. It was great customer service by that dealer, but I suspect that whomever ends up purchasing the other car wouldn't be happy if he/she learned that the dash of their new car was partially disassembled on the dealer lot. However, there's no requirement to disclose things like that.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:36 PM
rmb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they replaced the entire screen unit from another new jaguar on the lot as they did not have a screen in stock and would take forever to get one. Apparently that did the trick as these screens have some kind of module and mine was acting up

Hi bigcat, I had the same problem with my f-type convertible last fall and started a thread on the topic (see "Back up Camera Failure"). After two trips to the dealer and some fiddling with the screen and the camera itself, it now works, but the tech is not confident they solved the problem and thinks it will fail again. That is, they don't know what the problem was, or how they solved it. My car is now stored for the winter here in Canada so I have to wait until the spring to see if it the camera will fail again. I drove it for two weeks after getting it back from the dealer before putting it into storage.

In the interim the dealer ordered a whole new wire harness, but when I found out that they wanted to rip out the entire dash and re-wire the whole car I put the brakes on the process.

So if I understand your situation, the dealer traced your problem to a faulty module at the screen which was resolved by replacement of the screen? If my camera fails again I will suggest they look into replacing my screen as that sounds a lot better than ripping out the dash and re-wiring my car.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

I had an early Range Rover LR3 that had a 15000 unit gas tank recall. Was going to be months for LR to get them all and the dealers had to switch out from new stock or have the loaners out for months. It was first come first serve!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rmb
Hi bigcat, I had the same problem with my f-type convertible last fall and started a thread on the topic (see "Back up Camera Failure"). After two trips to the dealer and some fiddling with the screen and the camera itself, it now works, but the tech is not confident they solved the problem and thinks it will fail again. That is, they don't know what the problem was, or how they solved it. My car is now stored for the winter here in Canada so I have to wait until the spring to see if it the camera will fail again. I drove it for two weeks after getting it back from the dealer before putting it into storage.

In the interim the dealer ordered a whole new wire harness, but when I found out that they wanted to rip out the entire dash and re-wire the whole car I put the brakes on the process.

So if I understand your situation, the dealer traced your problem to a faulty module at the screen which was resolved by replacement of the screen? If my camera fails again I will suggest they look into replacing my screen as that sounds a lot better than ripping out the dash and re-wiring my car.

Thanks.
They just replaced the screen, not the wiring harness. They said that the screen has a control module in it and that this sometimes causes a fault. Once that has been done I have not had a problem since.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
that's why I was shocked when they did that.... they know me really well there as while I am young in the years I have had many jaguars and they knew that this was not an acceptable problem for a new car.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Persistence pays off... I couldn't believe how long you sat there with that watch...cracked me up. The crap people say about technology. I get the reboot part as so many things are electronic, but really....nice when they know you..even better when they treat you like a customer they value.

I have a 2004 xjr and I have no beeping or camera on the monitor screen. Not even sure where to start to look for problems, fuses or modules. Can anyone point me in a direction of help? Thanks

Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, my 2019 XE started doing right after taking it out of the dealer. Took it multiple times and they replaced the system, and is still doing it. It has been 4 months now and it continues to malfunction and they can’t find why is doing, meanwhile the loaners do it as well. It has to be a software problem with all of them. It will probably lead to a recall. However, it is disappointing.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SR FL
Yes, my 2019 XE started doing right after taking it out of the dealer. Took it multiple times and they replaced the system, and is still doing it. It has been 4 months now and it continues to malfunction and they can’t find why is doing, meanwhile the loaners do it as well. It has to be a software problem with all of them. It will probably lead to a recall. However, it is disappointing.
Sounds like a new issue with the XEs. No recent reports of this on the F-Types.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

4 year-old thread...
Never seen this with my 2018 XE. Have seen the Entertainment system being slow to boot occasionally, so no display while that's happening. But that's rare.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

I had this with my MY19.5 . First it would not switch on the camera, but gave a grey panel with PDC texst. Sometimes it did not change anything, unless I went in/out of reverse several times. Then I had a software update.
Then it would not have the reference lines from time-to-time. Or the camera did not switch on, or off when driving forward again. You can force it to either press the camera button or navi, this is what I did. Most annoying is
when it does not switch on and you want to park backing up. No chance to see a thing through your rear window ! Now I had a range of different scenarios lately, but it may be linked to low voltage in the battery.
We also lost seat memory, or just the mirror memory, or just the steering wheel memory.. Anyway, I bought a CTEK for € 55 with a special cable the dealer will fit to the battery. Also I will get all the new software for the
infotainment, as it seems with WiFi and OTA... ... justice at last..

Old 03-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
I had this with my MY19.5 . First it would not switch on the camera, but gave a grey panel with PDC texst. Sometimes it did not change anything, unless I went in/out of reverse several times. Then I had a software update.
Then it would not have the reference lines from time-to-time. Or the camera did not switch on, or off when driving forward again. You can force it to either press the camera button or navi, this is what I did. Most annoying is
when it does not switch on and you want to park backing up. No chance to see a thing through your rear window ! Now I had a range of different scenarios lately, but it may be linked to low voltage in the battery.
We also lost seat memory, or just the mirror memory, or just the steering wheel memory.. Anyway, I bought a CTEK for € 55 with a special cable the dealer will fit to the battery. Also I will get all the new software for the
infotainment, as it seems with WiFi and OTA... ... justice at last..
Many of the quirks you mention mirror those I have experienced with my MY 2018 and have since I picked it up new last April. Most bizarre is driving off and having the backup camera showing on the touch screen!? But, yep, the dotted lines rarely display, the backup camera does not activate occasionally, and I don't know if this is related, but the parking sensor warning system has not worked at times and when it does any vehicle encroaching from the rear activates a warning showing the object in the passenger front sector.
These things are on my list to be looked at next month when I'm due for my first year service.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
.. but the parking sensor warning system has not worked at times..
I had this the other day, parking forward near a big pot of flowers. My wife said, are you not afraid to hit
that flower pot.. .. I checked and PDC was switched off.. I did not do that.. .. its HAUNTED..

Old 03-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

I had this the other day, parking forward near a big pot of flowers. My wife said, are you not afraid to hit
that flower pot.. .. I checked and PDC was switched off.. I did not do that.. .. its HAUNTED..
The front PDC does not automatically activate unless the car was just previously put into reverse. You have to press the PDC button if you are approaching something straight-on.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The front PDC does not automatically activate unless the car was just previously put into reverse. You have to press the PDC button if you are approaching something straight-on.
.. then I've been very lucky sofar.. ..it engages automaticly below 5kmh in my beamer and my Landrover.. .. never expected anything different..

Old 03-27-2019, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

.. then I've been very lucky sofar.. ..it engages automaticly below 5kmh in my beamer and my Landrover.. .. never expected anything different..
yeah..,not in the F-Type.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

I think I rewire it with the auto start/stop... ...

Old 01-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen several Jags and Rovers come through with the same complaint.
Some require camera replacement, some require software updates.