General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

86 jag diff leaking

Old 06-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 jag diff leaking

I have a 86 jag rear end and it is leaking gear oil from a wierd spot.
It has these 2 holes on each side of the rear housing. The one on the left is leaking.
The hole is where my finger tip is.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:28 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum 23t.chris,

There were several different Jaguar models in production in 1986. Unfortunately you haven't added model details in your profile so I can't move this to the appropriate tech forum.

I've deleted your other post in PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds forum as it contravenes forum rules.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-19-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum 23t.chris,

There were several different Jaguar models in production in 1986. Unfortunately you haven't added model details in your profile so I can't move this to the appropriate tech forum.

I've deleted your other post in PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds forum as it contravenes forum rules.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Sorry. I don't own the whole jag car. Just the rearend. It is in my Tbucket.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 PM

updated my sig.
Rearend is from a 1986 jag XJS.
Originally had 2.88 gears, Had changed to 3.54 gears.
It is posi.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:22 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

OK, 2 diffs used in the XJ-S in that year.

Dana, no got a drain plug.

Salisbury, got drain plug.

Looking at, and having been there waaaaay too many times, I reckon the oil leak is coming from the "output housing" o/ring, where it seals that housing with the main case.

The shaft seals in there are prone to leaks on the Jag, due to the inboard disc brake heat, and stale oil in the diff unit.

BIG job, with either diff brand, just the Salisbury is easier to find bits for.

I see what looks like RTV just forward of your LH finger shot, and that is scary, coz maybe they left the OLD o/ring in there, or NO o/ring at all. I use Hi-Temp RTV there, but onlt a SMEAR.

My Parts drawing is attached, and #14 is the o/ring of what I speak, and #11 is the seal for the output shaft.

There is an o/ring on each side, and a seal on each side, obviously.

86 jag diff leaking-xjs-diff-drawing.jpg

Old 06-20-2015, 04:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by 23t.chris
updated my sig.
Rearend is from a 1986 jag XJS.
Originally had 2.88 gears, Had changed to 3.54 gears.
It is posi.
Thanks for the additional info. I see it's already getting you good advice.

Graham

Old 06-20-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
OK, 2 diffs used in the XJ-S in that year.

Dana, no got a drain plug.

Salisbury, got drain plug.

Looking at, and having been there waaaaay too many times, I reckon the oil leak is coming from the "output housing" o/ring, where it seals that housing with the main case.

The shaft seals in there are prone to leaks on the Jag, due to the inboard disc brake heat, and stale oil in the diff unit.

BIG job, with either diff brand, just the Salisbury is easier to find bits for.

I see what looks like RTV just forward of your LH finger shot, and that is scary, coz maybe they left the OLD o/ring in there, or NO o/ring at all. I use Hi-Temp RTV there, but onlt a SMEAR.

My Parts drawing is attached, and #14 is the o/ring of what I speak, and #11 is the seal for the output shaft.

There is an o/ring on each side, and a seal on each side, obviously.

Attachment 114219
I have the Salisbury. The hole in the case? Is that normal?
I got the cover off that hole doesn't go into the main case. So must go where the axle is.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:22 PM

Rear end with cover off. Getting ready to remove so I can get it repaired.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:49 PM

Chris,

Its been 20+ years since I had one apart, and age has burned some cells, but there is something abou tthat hole that rings a feint bell way back there somewhere in the brain.

Something about a drain back from the bearings???????

I think?? a mate has still got his in bits, so I wil go for a drive and cast the eyes over it.

I also recall a gasket being in there between the output housing and the diff casing, so I will search some more on that.

I will come back later tonight when I get back home.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Chris,

Its been 20+ years since I had one apart, and age has burned some cells, but there is something abou tthat hole that rings a feint bell way back there somewhere in the brain.

Something about a drain back from the bearings???????

I think?? a mate has still got his in bits, so I wil go for a drive and cast the eyes over it.

I also recall a gasket being in there between the output housing and the diff casing, so I will search some more on that.

I will come back later tonight when I get back home.
Thank you.

I got the rear out. It's just the drivers side that leaks the hole on the pas side is a little bigger but don't leak.
I'm pretty sure something wasn't replaced or wasn't installed during the rebuild.

Going to take it to a shop next Thursday.
I figure why it's apart good time to get it professionally painted and a few of the bits chrome plated. :-)

Old 06-21-2015, 03:53 AM

Chris,

Here we go.

His diff was back in the car, bugga, how inconsiderate of him, and I told him so.

No loss, we threw some Crocodile and Prawns on the BBQ, drank heaps, and when it all dried up, I came home.

There are a few diffs in the Jags, and the Salisbury has 3 styles that I remember.

That hole is located at about 6 o'clock, and is deemed as an oil feed TO the 2 bearings inside the output housing that is bolted to the casing.

The cast outer flange has a "dimple" that covers this hole, and has a small drilling that allows the oil TO the 2 bearings.

The o/ring is the seal of sorts for the part of that output casting that slides inside the diff casing, then there is a gasket around where that flange mates to the diff casing. That gasket has 6 holes in it, but there are only 5 mounting bolts, and the 6th hole is at 6 o'clock, and seals the oil hole.

While you got that back cover off, just check that breather tube/valve, as they do "stick" and that creates oil leaks of all sorts.

If you need some more, ask, I do have lots of scribblings that I have "hoarded" over the 40+ years with Jags.

The ones I want for your diff I cant find quickly. If you need them let me know and I will go hunting a tad harder.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-21-2015 at 03:56 AM.