General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 XK8 J-gate gear position illumination

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 99 XK8 J-gate gear position illumination

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
I operate a small independent Jaguar repair shop in upstate New York.
I recently replaced the J-gate module (part # LJA6195BG) on a 99 XK8 due to a crack in the plastic--strictly cosmetic. On the original one, all of the gear position lights lit up as they should when the gears were selected.
The new assembly came from my local Jaguar dealer. Once installed, I realized that only P and N illuminate as the gears are selected, not R, D, 4, 3, 2. I contacted the dealer and they sent me another one. (new, sealed box).
The second new one behaves the same as the first: Only P and N light up (when selected); the others do not.
When I reinstall the ORIGINAL (cracked) module, all of the position indicators illuminate as the gears are selected.
Has anyone replaced a J-gate module in one of these? If so, was it plug and play or was it necessary to program/configure/code the new one?
Jaguar says check wiring (loose or pinched wires) or a CAN problem. I have IDS but I see no option for coding or configuring this module.
Dealer was good about getting me a second one but I'm reluctant to ask for another unless I am confident that it is a bad batch(?).
I mean, what are the chances of getting two bad ones, both behaving the same? I know, probably low but greater than zero.
I believe the rotary switch on the gearbox reads the gear position and energizes the various indicator lights via the 9 wire harness on the J-gate.
Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Patrick
The Gas Menagerie
Troy, NY

Old 11-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

I can't tell you much about Jaguar but GM changes things. Both of my Firebirds came with no pointer for the shifter. When I replaced them for delaminating trim, the new ones came with a pointer.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The Selector Lever Illumination Module is a 'Listen ONLY' node on the CAN bus. No configuring.

According to JEPC the AJ27 illumination module is the same from 1999 to 2002 (4.0) and the XJ8 sedan from 1999-2003.

Do you have a Normally Aspirated sedan in the shop (1999-2003) to swap modules???

I don't know if the AJ26 illumination modules are compatible.

bob

The following users liked this post:
PatrickO (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 02:28 AM

I've never figured out why, but everytime I see a post languishing for several days and post just so they don't feel ignored. Someone jumps in a couple hours later and actually helps. Must be some clue to human psychology there.

The following 2 users liked this post by rhomanski:
motorcarman (11-25-2017), PatrickO (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 08:08 PM

Thanks to both of you. I must admit I was beginning to wonder if everyone was on a Thanksgiving hiatus. To motorcarman: I do have access to an XJ8 parts car. I believe it is a '98 but I'll find out on Monday.
The strange thing is, I've gone so far as to plug the 9 wire (10 cavity) harness plug into the OLD J-gate with the NEW J-gate installed on the car. As I move the shift lever through the gears, each light illuminates in red on the old J-gate, as it should.
However, with the NEW J-gate plugged in, only P and N light up in red.
It seems to me that this would indicate a problem with the new J-gate.
This is the second new J-gate from the same dealer (both ordered in/not "on the shelf") and they both behave the same.
I am convinced that the parts are defective but must rule out any other possibilities before asking dealer for a third!

Thank you both for your time, interest and willingness to assist and share information.

Patrick

Old 11-26-2017, 01:37 AM

Pat, I was working on my Dad's pickup many years ago. He wanted a new distributor put in. It ran like heck afterward. Tried a couple more from the parts store. Turns out they had 6 on the shelf that were boxed up for slant sixes but were actually rebuilt 8 cyl. distributors. Part numbers on the distro told the tale. Some tech may have made all of them wrong and you ended up getting them.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:16 AM

Could be that the Illumination Modules are mis-packaged. The Supercharged are a different part number I believe.

When I worked at the Jaguar dealer I ordered a new Distributor for a 4.2 Series III Sedan (This in the late 1990s) and when I installed it the engine ran horribly.

I checked the ignition pattern on the 'scope' and noticed 8 ignition spikes instead of 6.
The NEW dist had an 8 lobe reluctor. I ordered another NEW dist and it was the SAME.

I called tech line and got permission the disassemble BOTH and make a good one from the parts. The dist must have been for some kind of Land Rover V8???

bob

Old 11-26-2017, 09:24 AM

That is EXACTLY my dilemma and my strong suspicion.
The problem is convincing the dealer parts manager to keep ordering new J-gate modules until we get one that works properly. He is a great guy and has helped me out a number of times over the years but then there is that thing about "no return on electrical components". Add to this the fact that it is a $400 part with a core charge and you can see it gets complicated.
He has already made some inquiry to Jaguar about this and they come back with: check for pinched or loose wires/connections; possible CAN problem.
None of this accounts for why the original illuminates correctly and the (so far) two new ones do not. There was some vague mention of lighting problems associated with these modules but no specific details.

One option is to wrap it up and send the car to the dealer for them to sort it out. While the parts department is first class, my impression of the service department is very much otherwise. The techs are mostly young guys (not that there's anything wrong with that; that was me, many years ago) and they come and go quite regularly due to personal and pay-related issues. (Some things never change!) So my confidence in their ability to resolve a problem like this, on an "old" model, is not high.

Still, even though I hate to throw in the towel, it would shift the "burden of proof" from me to their own department. At some point (soon) I need to devote time and attention to productive work. I have devoted far too much time to this than I could possibly charge anyone for.

Unfortunately, the end result may be that the customer chooses not to pursue the problem, content to live with the non-functioning indicator lights on his new, cosmetically perfect J-gate. In which case, we may never know if the replacement parts were in fact bad. But, alas, my reputation will be tarnished.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant. I hope it's not too off-putting.

Thanks again.

Patrick

Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 AM

I would approach the dealer to perhaps order one more from a different source. That way you'll get one from a different batch. It may have to come from the west coast, but hopefully you'll get one that works. I wouldn't appreciate being stuck with one that's not right as a customer. Perhaps as a last resort you could find one that looks new at a junk yard? I think there are places that specialize in Jags. I realize your profit margin is shot so you might as well make it right and save your reputation. Word of mouth can be brutal sometimes. Sorry.

PatrickO (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:36 PM

One option might be to disassemble BOTH modules and build ONE that works. The electronics from the original and the housing from the NEW????

Just a thought.

bob

PatrickO (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 06:18 PM

All good ideas. rhomanski : It really IS about satisfying the customer, as corny as that may sound these days. I don't want to be the guy who charged $400 for a part that looks good but doesn't function as it should. I'm a one-man, low volume repair shop and depend on every single customer to establish a reputation. In fact, it is usually a situation like this that provides an opportunity to prove one's dedication and work ethic. Bob (motorcarman): I explored making one out of two but unfortunately I was not able to separate the top trim (PRND432) plate without prying and possibly damaging an expensive part. Needless to say, then there would be NO return. Also, the backlighting on the original is out (this works on the new one) so it would be dark. Finally, as it turns out, I posted a similar help request on the X100 section as well as here. DevonDavid responded with a very similar experience with a XK8 J-gate. He "had a similar issue - new J Gate Module and position lights didn't work. S N G Barratt were great and did a full refund/return and referred the matter back to Jaguar. I never got a totally satisfactory reply, but I suspect that there may be some subtle software differences which can affect the way this small module functions." I plan to explore this and see if I can get that "totally satisfactory reply" and share it here. Stay tuned and thank you. Patrick

Old 11-27-2017, 02:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickO
Thanks to both of you. I must admit I was beginning to wonder if everyone was on a Thanksgiving hiatus. .....
If you had posted the question in XK8/XKR forum, you would have had more Views and probably more Replies.

I appreciate the transmission control is shared with a number of models and General Tech Help was therefore a choice but XK8/XKR is a lively and active forum.

Graham

PatrickO (12-01-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I suppose it's even possible that a later software version for the car would correctly work with both variants of the J-Gate module.

Almost no-one is likely to know such intimate detail, however.

Maybe try to buy a used one with exactly the numbers on the old one. Even if it was no better than the new ones at least you'd not worry about robbing parts from it to try to fix the old one.

PatrickO (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 08:26 PM

Thanks, JagV8.

I'm determined to find that "intimate detail". Wish me luck.

Patrick

Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Default 99 XK8 J-gate gear position illumination

At this point, I think it is fair to say that there is a problem with the LJA6195BG being offered as a replacement for the LJA6195BF, at least for use in the XK8.

So far I have been unable to determine what that problem is and what remedy there may be. It may require a software update easily performed at an authorized dealer although I would have thought this would have been expressed to the purchaser (in this case, me) when the part was ordered.

I still may hear from Jaguar, via dealer parts department or Jaguar Classic Parts, with more details. If and when I do,I will share that information on this thread.

I will probably return the car to my customer this week, with the ~$400 part installed, and suggest that he bring the car to the dealer from which the part came. Presumably it can be made to function properly there.

I will let you all know how it plays out.

Thanks to EVERYONE who contributed. I do appreciate all the help.

Patrick

Old 04-17-2018, 07:18 PM
Default Resolution:

Customer took this car to the dealer (same dealer the two new parts came from) and after some "testing" they ordered and installed a third new one and it worked properly when installed. Parts man told me the tech disassembled the previous, non-functioning unit and remarked on some "shoddy looking" solder connections. Looks like Jaguar had a bad batch. If you find yourself replacing one of these, be prepared to install a few before you get a good one. It may be that the returned ones are going back on the shelf.
Hope this helps someone.
Thanks again.

The following 2 users liked this post by PatrickO:
Mark Oz (04-26-2018), toaster (08-22-2019)