General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

could the electric heating windshield be screwing with my radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts
Default could the electric heating windshield be screwing with my radar detector?

I've been using a cobra brand radar detector in my BMW for the past 2 years and never had any issues. it isnt the best detector in the world....but definitely has saved my behind a few times.

ive recently transferred it over to my XFR and this week I had 2 VERY close calls and my radar detector didnt make a beep. in both cases i was doing 90-110 with the cop clearly parked on the side of the highway with his radar gun out.

in the first instance, i figured maybe he was just bluffing to get people to slow down, but he actually ended up pulling the guy behind me over. second instance same thing, sitting clear as day on the side of the road with his radar gun out

i cant think of a reason why my detector wouldnt pick up on it TWICE. the detector is picking up bogus KA signals, so at least i know its working. I dont have a front plate yet as I am waiting for new plates...but i dont think that would be the issue. The only thing I can tell is different is the windshield, which I have the electric heating one. could that be interfering with the signals? another guess is that I have it sitting too low on the window

anyone else having weird experiences with their detectors?

Last edited by GGG; 09-12-2016 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Edit three typos in thread title
Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 PM
rbr
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

In short, yes. The heating elements block RF signals from passing the glass, so they also mess up toll transponders. There is a much more comprehensive thread somewhere on the forum.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

........crap.

i need to find that thread asap and figure out a solution. Havent had an issue with toll transponder

Old 09-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

carzaddict, not to ask a silly question, but is your radar detector capable of picking up laser beams. Some of the new radar detectors are using that to sense the speed. Also, if it is because of an RF signal, does the windshield have a UV blocker in it? If so, that could be your issue as it would be a super thin metal layer that would block the UV which would also be a conductor for shunting the RF signal to the sides of the car, preventing it from reaching your detector.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:14 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
........crap.

i need to find that thread asap and figure out a solution. Havent had an issue with toll transponder
You asked a question .......

...... rbr made a suggestion.

If you disagree then at least do so in little less brusque and obtuse language.

We try to help each other on the forum and to behave in a polite and reasonable manner towards each other.

Graham

JimC64 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr
In short, yes. The heating elements block RF signals from passing the glass, so they also mess up toll transponders. There is a much more comprehensive thread somewhere on the forum.

+1

Old 09-13-2016, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

We try to help each other on the forum and to behave in a polite and reasonable manner towards each other.

Graham

Old 09-13-2016, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG

My apologies, it seems that my response might have been taken out of context. I completely appreciate rbr's response (and all the help provided by this forum), the "crap" comment was simply me expressing my feelings towards the situation (being unable to accurately rely on my radar detector), to be taken no more than a sigh of frustration. I feel the need to explain myself as i do not want to people to get the wrong impression or leave a bad taste in anyones mouth.

back on topic: I guess i have 2 options now, 1) get a radar system that attaches to the bumpers of the car or 2) relocate the radar detector to the left or right side of the windsheild where there is no wires.

Im not sure how well the detector will work if I go with option 2

GGG (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 01:19 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I had an OE heated windscreen in my XK8 and it didn't interfere with my radar detector.

Other vehicles of mine with either IR or Accoustic Wwindscreens have blocked the radar signals and I've had to fit an external antenna to get round this issue.

I see from JEPC that the XF has Heated/Accoustic Windscreen as an option. If yours has this fitted, it could be blocking the detector.

Graham