General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ECU prog failed

Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU prog failed

Hello,

On Jaguar X Type 2009 2.2d Executive BVA DPF

Having a engine warning light and sometimes gearbox fault message 2 months, I flashed the TCM with mongoose clone, i ve been going for a ride to test if gearbox fault would appear but it was all good ( in Sport mode also)

I still had some strange feeling : like speed would downgrade with delay, power was missing past 3000rpm

Then i wanted to reprogram the generic module ...

it asked to remove ABS fuse then stability module fuse, what i did , then module programming failed midway

On my dashboard, i see consumption ( in french) module error , ABS warning light, stability fault, now car wont start

I messed up cause battery voltage was 12.5 in ignition II, engine off ( and maybe other factor like mongoose clone, no VCM ...)

I charged battery all night , now its at 13.5v ignition off but when i go in ignition II , then engine cooler goes max speed and i still have 12.5v

Im using a chinese power supply of 50A,i will try to see if i can turn off engine cooler but maybe i have power drain somewhere... Edit : i removed cooler fuse f16 et now i have 13.2v with engine off

I performed an ECU reset, by touching - and + but problem is still same

I knew i had some electronic mess, i wanted to bring it to a tech this week ... but now car dont even start

I tried to reconfigure ABS module but i have problem of communication now ...

Is there a way to make ECU return to where it was ?

Edit: i tried to do rectification procedure with connecting -/+ at the rectification screen but now luck

Thanks for any help anyone would bring me

Anton

Last edited by Xnodrk; 01-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum Anton,

Mongoose clones and "cracked" versions of SDD are notoriously unreliable for programming. Some members have been lucky but others have had to take their "bricked" vehicle to the dealer.

I would normally move a question from General Tech Help to the relevant model forum but I will leave your post here as it is likely to be seen by more members with module programming experience.

When you have time, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

What version are you using and do you have the calibration files for it...

Last edited by GGG; 01-23-2019 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Remove QUOTE
Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 AM

Hello,

I'm using SDD V131.03 , with have SPA and VBF, all given from ebay download.

I installed SPA 131V2, but in SDD , its saying it requires SPA V131V2 ...

i wonder if it installed at the correct location, the path is the following : "Program Files\JLR\IDS\SPA\JLRE5\WORKING" then in this folder there are ton of other folders, does it sound familiar to anyone ?

An other problem is i cant read TSB inside SDD , when i click on "read", it wants to open "doc.ressource.action" something

Much thanks

Last edited by Xnodrk; 01-23-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Do you have the correct Drew Tech "Mongoose" or the unknown Chinese clone called the "Mangoose".
As was posted above the recommendation is to use the Mangoose clone ONLY for reading the vehicle to get and clear codes.
DO NOT EVER try to program any modules with it! I have seen pictures of a Land Rover with dozens of modules blown up this way and a bill in the $10,000+ range!!

There is a lot of details to using the SDD. Is your computer attached to the internet? You should not be and do not try any on-line updates to SDD either.

Hope you have not damaged anything and will you post back on the repair?

The following users liked this post:
jczaban (04-04-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:59 AM

I'm using mongoose pro clone ... Sdd 131.03 with calibration file spa and vbf, set at 08/2012 without any connection to internet

I have a problem with can bus ..
Along with abs dsc module

Im not sure if its really a can bus problem, it seems a whole part got messed up, like i cannot close all door at same time...

I will look first into that before bringing to a tech, also i have 2009 model and there is less litterature about it

Is there an offordable way to program module ? Some vcm ii are like 140 euros but i dunno if its the real deal..

Thx

Old 01-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

i had a similar problem when I did a reflash of the tcm....i lost communication from the pcm to tcm while it was flashing...i was left with a vehicle that would start but no movement, and a bunch of trans codes...i also have the same sdd 131.03 from ebay....I had a couple times where it acted funny prior to my trans issue...what I ended up doing was uninstalling sdd altogether...even the calibration and spa files...I reinstalled the 131 full only with the cal and spa files...i was able to configure the tcm as a new module and everything went great....you have to get to the screen where sdd has module configuration...usually by going through the diagnosis tab and further to the powertrain tab...sometimes you will see the configure on the recommendation tab or on the extras tab..the extras tab does not pop up automatically most of the time....you have to run something on the recommendations first usually..I left off the updates because I felt there was a glitch in one of them...since the reinstall I have had zero problems...the main thing is to establish comm with the pcm and go from there....worth a try.....also when you have your vci cable plugged in does it read as a clone or a genuine mongoose...hope this gives you some direction...I am still learning sdd myself, but i am comfortable with this advice

Old 01-23-2019, 05:05 PM

Its read as mongoose pro, i used the mongoose pro driver also

I will try to install sdd again yeah its a good idea

Pcm was in extra tab, i mainly enter 3 symptoms abs light, dsc message, and car wont start

It gives some module conf/new and first of all can bus problem

Before messing up, i had some can bus dtc in the trip/hold, people says its not relevant cause its old code, so maybe its some old code poping up, but then i have communication fault when trying to configure any module

I also tried to do "rectification procedure" like one member said, but i think i messed up, i made a reset bringing the - to the + but the i separated the + from the battery, i need to try rectification again

Thx for inputs

Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Xnodrk
Its read as mongoose pro, i used the mongoose pro driver also

I will try to install sdd again yeah its a good idea

Pcm was in extra tab, i mainly enter 3 symptoms abs light, dsc message, and car wont start

It gives some module conf/new and first of all can bus problem

Before messing up, i had some can bus dtc in the trip/hold, people says its not relevant cause its old code, so maybe its some old code poping up, but then i have communication fault when trying to configure any module

I also tried to do "rectification procedure" like one member said, but i think i messed up, i made a reset bringing the - to the + but the i separated the + from the battery, i need to try rectification again

Thx for inputs
You should be good with your vci cable...in the diagnosis tab have you tried to select communication....it should be the first one on top, and see what options you have there...also you can reopen a session before you lost communication if you have it...try the reinstall ...just 131...no updates, and give it a go

Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure on the sdd vin read screen that your vci icon is green....once in a great while I have to resync my cable to the sdd program via the settings tab and then the system info tab

Old 01-24-2019, 02:42 AM

Yeah its always green ... only battery was yellow because cooler running full speed and was making drop my voltage from 13.2 to 12.6 V

yes i checked first "network trouble"box, i think it gives me some pinpoint test $ECM $EDCM but i cannot "READ" anything, might be corrected by reinstall

and for the sessions, i have to go through them all, and find a way to deduce on which one has been performed the PCM programmation, cause they are all with unrelevant date ( i set manually the date to aug 2018)

Thx

Old 01-24-2019, 01:24 PM

I have another clue, vm is set to have usb 1.1

I need to install guest addition to have usb 2 and usb 3

Drewtech driver for mongoose pro is usb 2, so it might be a reason of communication failure..

Last edited by Xnodrk; 01-24-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scottjh9
You should be good with your vci cable...in the diagnosis tab have you tried to select communication....it should be the first one on top, and see what options you have there...also you can reopen a session before you lost communication if you have it...try the reinstall ...just 131...no updates, and give it a go
I have another clue, vm is set to have usb 1.1

I need to install guest addition to have usb 2 and usb 3

Drewtech driver for mongoose pro is usb 2, so it might be a reason of communication failure..
When you say vm, does that mean virtual mode

Old 01-24-2019, 02:54 PM

vm is virtualbox sorry

i have windows 7 with internet connection hosting a virtualbox of windoows XP 32 bits

Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Voltage drops are a major cause of failure when programming, regardless of hardware. Consider spending the money and putting a reliable power source to the battery, which doesn't mean connecting a battery charger to the battery either:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar TSB SSD power supply.pdf (132.3 KB, 81 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Don B (05-30-2020), GGG (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:13 PM

Hmm im using 50 amp and 13.6v power supply...

Yeah its chinese ... But anyone has cheaper alternative to midtronics PSC-550S ?

Its very hard to find of you are outside of us

Old 01-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm im using 50 amp and 13.6v power supply...

Yeah its chinese ... But anyone has cheaper alternative to midtronics PSC-550S ?

Its very hard to find of you are outside of us
50 amps might be a little much...I think you want 20 to 30 amps....have you gotten any over voltage codes...I went from 40 amps to 20 on my charger because 40 was throwing over voltage once in a while, and that will stop communication

Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM

Hmm interresting ... But i cannot lower amp ... Well I dont see amp output

Old 01-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjh9
50 amps might be a little much...I think you want 20 to 30 amps....have you gotten any over voltage codes...I went from 40 amps to 20 on my charger because 40 was throwing over voltage once in a while, and that will stop communication
agreed, 25 amp is recommended for the X-Type. Xnodrk, I read your post as putting the power supply after you suffered a voltage drop and my take is the voltage drop during programming is one of the problems. My interpretation because of the drop in voltage, but if you had your power supply connected, set it to a minimum of 13.8 VDC. A voltage drop that large is probably a contributor but I think you found other problems with your software setup which are probably higher priority.

If you decide to replace the power supply now or at a point in the future, I don't think you need the midtronics brand but should try to match the noise level specs of the midtronics model and set it to 13.8 VDC.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:04 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I'm using mongoose pro clone ... Sdd 131.03 with calibration file spa and vbf, set at 08/2012 without any connection to internet
i have windows 7 with internet connection hosting a virtualbox of windows XP 32 bits
These two underlined parts are contributing to your problems in my opinion.
Clones never work as reliably as originals, and virtual machines often cause problems with data transfer.
I think if you are to have any hope of recovering things here, then it would be with an original VCM, and a non-hacked SDD or even IDS running native in Windows.

I can tell you from experience that clones are a bad idea. For example flashing a PCM with a clone Mongoose could take 20-30 minutes sometimes. With an original VCM it is done in less than 3 minutes.
I found that clones are often poor at data transfer on ISO and SCP networks, which are also in an X-Type additionally to HS-CAN, and SCP is critical to flashing modules, even modules only on the CAN network.
For example the instrument cluster can be considered a "gateway" of sorts, as it is connected to both SCP and HS-CAN, and during flash routines messages are sent on both networks.
So if one network is down, it can have adverse effects on the other, especially when attempting to write to modules.

IDS and SDD run fine in Windows 7 32-bit, it is what I run on all my laptops. Forget XP, forget virtual machines, no professional would ever use them.
Also with SDD you also need to run an old version of Java (6.26), and old version of Internet Explorer (IE8) it does not play well with newer versions.

You will go round and round in circles if the tools you have are not working properly.

The following users liked this post:
dharry078 (07-07-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU prog failed