General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Easy to copy but you have to have a 'burner' CD drive. A CDROM will not create a CD (only read it)
Put CD in CD drive and open NERO or other software.
Copy CD to HDD or other CD burner drive.
Put blank CD-R in destination drive and BURN!!!!

bob gauff

Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm concerned about the file types and compatability with the media type too. I might be overthinking it. Anyway, I'd be willing to exchange all of the Ford discs I have (listed) for the Jaguar discs, straight up. If willing, Let's just figure out how to get it done with trust.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 PM

steve11 send me a message with your address.

The copies work fine!!!!!
I worked at a dealer and before I left I copied the CD2 (GHOST) 38 42 and 43.
I removed the Ford Hard Disk Drive from the WDS I bought and installed a 4GB HDD.
I loaded the copied software onto the new Hard drive so now I have the Ford WDS and the Jaguar WDS on the same machine by simply swapping the Hard Drives.
Loading the software takes about 4 hours but the HDD swap is less than 5 minutes.

I don't work on Fords but I don't want to erase the software and then regret my decision.

I don't need the Ford Disks (I have them) but if you wan't a set of Jaguar then send me a message and I will send you copies of the 'ghost' CD and version 43 (2 CD set A and B) for a total of 3 CDs.

johnnie ryall needs Ford and I have A6 and B43 (plus C5 1 and 2) so between us we can get him some early and the latest version or
you can probably offer the Ford CDs on eBay and make a little cash.

CD blanks cost around 10 cents each and postage can't cost more than 2 dollars to ship in the US.

I also have a Jaguar WDS booklet that I got from attending the training course in 1999 that I had converted to .pdf as well as the FORD WDS operating manual and training guide in paper form that was shipped with the WDS unit.

These might be antique computers, but they were 'state of the art' from 1999 to 2006 and can still do (almost) everything the dealer did back then including module and key transponder configuration.

Jaguars from 1996 (sedans from 1995) to 2006 are covered by this computer.

I don't know what the Ford NGS disc is for but I have a broken one and can't load it. If someone can educate me and tell me if I need to find a good copy I would appreciate it.

Post what you have out there and maybe we can get all the info, parts or cables in one place to swap!! (WDS swap forum)

bob gauff

Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 AM
ud

I like the idea of a WDS swap (group, forum, whatever it might be called). I have lots of WDS stuff - A slew of cables, at least 2 or 3 of the "blue" OBD cables, spark plug sets, etc.; two monitors, a docking station, etc.

I'd like to take you up on your offer for the Jaguar copies too. I'll cover whatever costs/money you need - Paypal? I'll put together a PM.. I am traveling in AZ for extended holidays so maybe I can have you send there to a friend where I will be staying.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If you WDS owners would like any help in coordinating a single thread or even a sub-section area of the forum for that very purpose maybe title it Technician Area - finding/exchanging technical information/discs/WDS parts etc, let me know. We'll be glad to help if it makes it easier on you guys to get the diagnostic tools you need.

I would also be willing to assist in the duplication or even a middleman for the hostage, ahhhem...goods 'exchange' you may negotiate.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 AM
ud

Thanks Matt - That "could" be cool, on the other hand, there are probably only 5 or 6 of us with WDS interests as it is about the equivalent of a coal fired locomotive, but, who knows, maybe a dedicated Tech site could pick up other interests besides just WDS.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM

This is the begining of OBDII
good write-up
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32683

But JDS (pinoccio) was the first and it told every mechanic to replace the front harness.

The real first diagnostic was PDU (Portabe Diagnostic Unit) and is the only one that can access the ECM/TCM/ABS on the 1990 to 1995 OBDI cars. It was used (with adapters like MPA) to about 2000MY cars.

bob gauff

Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by steve11
I found a suitable ATX replacement with more wattage (250W to 300W), which is a good thing. The replacement ATX has one P8 connector with reversed polarity which is easy to convert. The twenty pin mother board connector is fully populated on the new PS and the original only uses 16 pin, but it too is plug/play. The only other connectors used are two simple +12v GND +5V power supplies to the drives and they are identical. The only feature lost on the new PS is the aux. 110VAC accessory plug.

So, if the PS is bad, I've been down that road already and have a replacement source.
I have the very same PSU and I would love to use a standard ATX PSU, but the original from powersolve mentions a +16v output which is not available on a standard ATX PSU, what did you do for that? - The P8 plug has a +5v and two +3.3v pins, which did you use ?

Thanks,
Pantelis

Old 12-29-2010, 05:58 AM
ud

I'm going on memory now - As I recall, the +16v was on an accessory plug that was unused. I only needed 3v, 5v and 12v. I used all of the P8 connector, but I found the ATX had the ground wire on the opposite side of the connector.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 AM

Thanks for your reply, I am really happy that this worked for you, unfortunatelly, in my case, this plug is used to charge the tablet, so I had to use a separate laptop charger soldered in psu casing.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wds user manual

Originally Posted by motorcarman
steve11 send me a message with your address.

The copies work fine!!!!!
I worked at a dealer and before I left I copied the CD2 (GHOST) 38 42 and 43.
I removed the Ford Hard Disk Drive from the WDS I bought and installed a 4GB HDD.
I loaded the copied software onto the new Hard drive so now I have the Ford WDS and the Jaguar WDS on the same machine by simply swapping the Hard Drives.
Loading the software takes about 4 hours but the HDD swap is less than 5 minutes.

I don't work on Fords but I don't want to erase the software and then regret my decision.

I don't need the Ford Disks (I have them) but if you wan't a set of Jaguar then send me a message and I will send you copies of the 'ghost' CD and version 43 (2 CD set A and B) for a total of 3 CDs.

johnnie ryall needs Ford and I have A6 and B43 (plus C5 1 and 2) so between us we can get him some early and the latest version or
you can probably offer the Ford CDs on eBay and make a little cash.

CD blanks cost around 10 cents each and postage can't cost more than 2 dollars to ship in the US.

I also have a Jaguar WDS booklet that I got from attending the training course in 1999 that I had converted to .pdf as well as the FORD WDS operating manual and training guide in paper form that was shipped with the WDS unit.

These might be antique computers, but they were 'state of the art' from 1999 to 2006 and can still do (almost) everything the dealer did back then including module and key transponder configuration.

Jaguars from 1996 (sedans from 1995) to 2006 are covered by this computer.

I don't know what the Ford NGS disc is for but I have a broken one and can't load it. If someone can educate me and tell me if I need to find a good copy I would appreciate it.

Post what you have out there and maybe we can get all the info, parts or cables in one place to swap!! (WDS swap forum)

bob gauff
Hi,
I am new to this forum as I am seeking help with a WDS I bought in Germany to maintain an ASTON MARTIN DB9,I am an independant Land Rover dealer in Martinique French West Indies, and use on a regular basis the LR T4 and IDS,would it be possible for you to send me the user manual and WDS booklet files.Thanks for your help.
Seb

Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 AM

I have the Jaguar WDS Introduction Course Guide in .pdf but it is over 24mb so I don't think it will eMail.

I don't know how long it would take to send a CDROM to Martinique but send a message to me with an address and I will try to get it to you.

I don't know if there are size limits on the websites for uploading info but 24mb is pretty large.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
CARAIBAM (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 AM

Hi,

thanks for your help,could you contact me at SS972@ORANGE.FR

Regards

Seb

Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 AM

My WDS shows an 2127 error and prompts me to contact support... anyone knows what that means ?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Bob-motorcarman,
What document number, date ect. is your manual? I have a training guide and all the WDS specific manuals, and I think they are small enough to pass around; the largest are 7MB.

Cheers,

Old 01-12-2011, 08:47 AM

I went to the WDS training seminar in 1998 or 1999 when the WDS was introduced. A few weeks ago I took my 3 ring binder to a copy store and they copied it to .pdf at a medium setting and it came out at 24mb.

I uploaded it to Translator's Moderator website so you can contact Richard to upload your's or download mine.

I also uploaded the V6/V8 Engine Course 168.

I started uploading my old TSBs but it takes a while to create a folder and transfer the .pdf to the correct folder.

I'll eventually get all my Course Guides converted to .pdf but a little at a time for now.

I have the Ford WDS, Genrad docking station and PTU operators manuals that are generic to Jaguar and Ford. They are glued paper back and can't be copied easily like a 3 ring binder individual pages.

bob gauff

Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 PM

hello

My Ford WDS just got broken... windows down but i only have the ford disk b44 can someone help me with a copy of the ghost cd(or what is it called) and do i need anything else?

Thank you for your help

Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM

The North American English Ford WDS B43 is the last version.
The sequence for loading the software is...

A6 (red disc)
B43 (blue disc)
C5-1 (black disc)
C5-2 (black disc)

This will load the latest version that I know of.

If you have B44 then I don't have info on that.

I can send you a copy of the B43 CD set.

bob gauff

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM

it whould be awsome...but i whould need the reghosting cd too.. my windows cracked and 1 more info... i'm on ford europe...the cd-s are the same?

The following users liked this post:
aston-jag (03-22-2013)

Quick Reply: Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station