General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CARAIBAM
Hi,
I come back on the forum as I managed to change the language to french on my PTU.It is a Ford Europe one and I have loads of ford CDs but need to use it on my ASTON MARTIN, I only have CD 16 from AM what else would be needed?
It starst ok but as for battery conditionning,the battery seem not to be fine as as soon as I get the PTU out of the docking station it just cuts out,can it be used on the docking station?
Where could I source a battery or cells to have it rebuilt?
Thanks for your help WDS GURUS!!!!!

Hi, caraibam, I also hope to use the WDS on Aston Martin, so maybe we can compair notes. Please keep us informed of you progress. Just a couple of questions to start.
Are you using an Aston Martin ghost disc and I was under the impression that CD013 was the last software release before they went to their new system what is CD16?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM

Hi Motorcarman, Thanks for the help.

Removed the battery/hdd cover OK.

Can I just confirm I have located all of the screws before I start.

12off torx t6 - in the black connector surround
2off torx t15 - next to the rear hinged leg fixing points
2off torx t20 - under the bottom corner rubbers.

Have I missed any?

Thanks....

Old 09-01-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have Ford WDS

A6 (red)
B37, 40, 41, 42, 43 (blue)
C5 Discs #1 and #2 (black)

I also have A5 and C4 but they are superceded

I have Jaguar WDS

CD2 (GHOST Disc)
38, 42 (A and B) and 43

Let me know if anyone needs copies of any of these.

bob gauff

Hi Bob,

Are there any differencies between the Ford (A6), Jaguar CD2 and Aston Martin ghost discs?
Do they just put Windows 98 on the WDS or do they install other manufacture specific information or setups?

Sorry for all the questions but WDS is new to me and I am trying to understand the basics.

Thanks.....

Old 09-01-2011, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Definitely put in more memory, makes a big difference in speed. I used a 128mb PC66 144pin sodimm, and I think you need to stick to the PC66 types (tried a PC100 but that didn't work).

Old 09-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ghost disc

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If you use the A204 attached to the battery or leave the PTU in the docking station you don't need the battery. If the DLC cable is attached to the car, that should power it also.
I wheel the entire docking station to the car and use it like that. If I need it mobile and the battery is dead, then I shut it down and re-boot when the PTU is connected to the DLC and/or the A204 is attached.

bob gauff

Thanks Bob,

what would be needed to run my AM data CD 13?Do I need a specifc ghost cd ?.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I don't know if the Ford A6 and Jaguar CD2 are the same for 'GHOSTING'.
I have both so I never tried to load any other way except Ford to Ford and Jaguar to Jaguar.

The AM has 2 discs so I guess one is the 'Ghost' and the other is the Application.

Most of the time when Jaguar issued an updated CD, you just installed the new cd version and rebooted.

Sometimes a TSB was issued to warn that the system needed to be re-Ghosted and THEN the new CD installed. The following is an example:

"Please be advised, WDS VERSION 16 was issued to your dealer on Tuesday 6/11/02. Please be advised that WDS must be re-ghosted first, using WDS disc JTP 752, before Version 16 can be loaded properly. Version 16 will load in what appears to be a normal fashion, but will not overwrite specific files in the disc if reghosting is not performed first. In essence, you will still be using files that were introduced in version 15, and not the latest files."

As far as the WDS disassembly, I just remove fasteners until the case comes apart. I have not taken mine apart in a long while so I don't remember all the screws.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
Wangstang (09-06-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the information Bob.

This is from an old AM Service Bulletin:

"You will shortly receive two new WDS CD’s, a system CD 002 (43-27757), and a new applications CD 006 (43-27758). Prior to using CD 006, you must ‘re-ghost’ your WDS using the system CD 002"

Does anyone have a copy of the AM system CD 002 they would be willing to share / sell.

thanks.....

Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by v12am

"You will shortly receive two new WDS CD’s, a system CD 002 (43-27757), and a new applications CD 006 (43-27758). Prior to using CD 006, you must ‘re-ghost’ your WDS using the system CD 002"

Does anyone have a copy of the AM system CD 002 they would be willing to share / sell.

thanks.....

PM sent......

v12am (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 PM

thanks.....
Hi V12AM,
that's makes two of us with the same problem,have you found any info for the ghost cd,have you tried to order it trough AML,you will also need an OBD adaptator, I do not have it here,please let me know if you want the ref.I have ordered cd 13 and adaptator at DMS.What AM do you have?

v12am (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by CARAIBAM
Hi V12AM,
that's makes two of us with the same problem,have you found any info for the ghost cd,have you tried to order it trough AML,you will also need an OBD adaptator, I do not have it here,please let me know if you want the ref.I have ordered cd 13 and adaptator at DMS.What AM do you have?

Hi Caraibam,

xjrguy may be of some help with the ghost disc.

Any info on the obd adaptor would be of great help (ref and supply info).

Currently have a DB7 Vantage.

Thanks.....

Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Hi Caraibam,

xjrguy may be of some help with the ghost disc.

Any info on the obd adaptor would be of great help (ref and supply info).

Currently have a DB7 Vantage.

Thanks.....
Hi,
will give you the ref of the adaptator tomorrow,will inquire to see if it is possible to buy the ghost disk,I have a DB9 and a DB7V also.
I am sure we will have the WDS working with the great help of our cousins from the Jag comunity

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been following this thread for some time now. I picked up a WDS a few weeks ago but I've yet to open it up.

I have a few WDS upgrading/updating questions for your consideration.

Has anyone tried installing the WDS software onto a computer running windows XP?

Did Ford issue the WDS software seperatly from the Windows 98 software?

I'm considering swaping out the motherboard for a more modern 775 board and installing a single CPU with 4 cores....an intel Q6600.... a modern ATX powersupply and 8-16gb of DDR3 memory. These newer motherboards support modern SATA hard drives so I am thinking I would partition a larger drive so I can run Jag software from one partition, Land Rover from another partition and Ford from a third partition. I'd use a fresh install of Windows XP service pack 3 plus the respective WDS software installs. Then see if I can pick up a few of the more current Ford IDS updates discs and merge the calibration files into the WDS software by droping the calibration files into the respective folders in the WDS software.

Essentially, I'm looking to see if I can cover more vehicles that FoMoCo considers to be IDS only while upating hardware to more modern specs since the old parts are hard to come by.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Wes

Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

I would guess you could run the WDS software on Windows XP that’s probably the easiest. But in the WDS unit you also have a print plate which is needed to setup communication with the car (and to which the back panel with cable inputs is attached). I haven’t investigated it further, but I think the motherboard communicates with that interface as if it was a IP device, at least that is what I can remember when I looked into it.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by avos
. But in the WDS unit you also have a print plate which is needed to setup communication with the car (and to which the back panel with cable inputs is attached).
When you say "print plate" do you mean an expansion card?

If so can you recall what format the connector is? PCI, AGP, ect If it's PCI or AGP it should be workable.

Does anyone have a photo or two of the inside of the docking station they can post?

Thanks
Wes

Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Can't tell what sort of connection it is, it could be a PCI one, but it is not a PCI slot if you understand what I mean (I think it was a 20 pin connector, something like that). The reason why I think the MB is communicating with the 2nd board via a network interface is that there is a network adapter configured (check the control panel). If you hack around, you might be able to tell what sort of driver it is and that could give a clue. The later IDS works similar, so there is either a network interface on the main board, and the connectors are also functioning as “cable” or the network interface is on the 2nd board, but then you need to understand how that one is connected (as you say PCI or another bus control).

Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by avos
Can't tell what sort of connection it is, it could be a PCI one, but it is not a PCI slot if you understand what I mean (I think it was a 20 pin connector, something like that). The reason why I think the MB is communicating with the 2nd board via a network interface is that there is a network adapter configured (check the control panel). If you hack around, you might be able to tell what sort of driver it is and that could give a clue. The later IDS works similar, so there is either a network interface on the main board, and the connectors are also functioning as “cable” or the network interface is on the 2nd board, but then you need to understand how that one is connected (as you say PCI or another bus control).
I think you are the nicest guy to help with the WDS.
You know all about it!!!!
Thanx for all the help so we can make our Ford WDS a Jaguar WDS.
Luckily i have 3 IDS units with 3 times a Panasonic Toughbook but sometimes i use the WDS also.
Its a really good machine

Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM

When I took my PTU in half to install the 128mb RAM I noticed that front part with the screen was a regular computer but the rear section was the 'interface unit'.

The IDS VCM is the interface unit for the Windows XP based laptop (and any laptop with XP Pro can be used) so I imagine it is a similar setup. The VCM is USB but the WDS is 'hardwired'. The back and front halves have a block pin connector that are mated when the halves are joined together. They must be aligned exactly and pressed home without bending the pins. Sometime I might go into the system devices or some other section of the network adapters but I mostly just use the thing.

AVOS looked at it closer than me so I might take it apart again to see what he found!!

If anyone digs into the hardware aspect of the unit please fill in the blanks!!!

bob gauff

Last edited by motorcarman; 09-06-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Default WDS with SSD Drive

Just like to say thanks to Avos for the idea of replacing the WDS HDD with a SDD drive.

I purchased a Compact Flash to IDE adaptor and 8GB Compact flash card. from e-bay

The first and only hurdle was that the adaptor had all 44 pins fitted. The original HDD in the WDS had the orientation pin 20 missing. After checking the circuit on the adaptor, I removed pin 20, plugged everything together, cut some foam to secure the card/adaptor in place, installed software and all is working fine.

Thanks Again….

Attached Thumbnails Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-ssd-1.jpg   Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-ssd-2.jpg   Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-ssd-3.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by v12am:
asgarond (12-05-2016), Handegard (09-27-2011), mikE-Type (06-22-2013), motorcarman (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Just like to say thanks to Avos for the idea of replacing the WDS HDD with a SDD drive.

I purchased a Compact Flash to IDE adaptor and 8GB Compact flash card. from e-bay

The first and only hurdle was that the adaptor had all 44 pins fitted. The original HDD in the WDS had the orientation pin 20 missing. After checking the circuit on the adaptor, I removed pin 20, plugged everything together, cut some foam to secure the card/adaptor in place, installed software and all is working fine.

Thanks Again….
Superb! Glad you got her up and running. Isn't this forum grand??

Cheers,

Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 PM

WOW!!
I tried a newer HDD without success so I reverted to the old 3 to 6 GB units.
I did not think that the Flash Drive would be compatible. I think I'll get one to try it out!!

bob gauff

Quick Reply: Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station