General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Incontrol Apps - Spotify not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Incontrol Apps - Spotify not working

I've had my XF since April, and have really enjoyed being able to use Spotify on the move, however the connectivity between car and my iPhone has always been a bit flaky. I have to click "Aceept" on the phone every time I plug it into the car (not sure if that's normal??), and regularly need several attempts with a message like "Incontrol Apps cannot connect to Neale's iPhone, make sure it's plugged in etc. Try Again". Eventually I can usually get it to work. I thought the cable might be an issue, so I've just shelled out on a new £25 armoured Lightning-USB cable, but the problem is just as bad. In fact, although it worked for one short journey today, I have not been able to get it to work at all since. Every now and again Spotify starts, looks as though it's about to start playing, then crashes with a message saying "unplug phone and try again". One small change is that I've just upgraded to iOS 11, but as I say, it HAS worked at least once since doing that. HELP PLEASE!!

The following users liked this post:
LT Cav (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I too cannot use Spotify well since iOS 11. it seems it tries to open Spotify when you select it from inControl and then loses connectivity and you have to reconnect. If you have it set to automatically open Spotify you are instantly shot, if in settings it opens nothing it will go to the home screen until picking ANY inControl App, JustDrive, Accuweather, Spotify - it usually works long enough to start a playlist then acts as though it lost connection, on the radio home you see incontrol apps as a selection but hit it and you see the fail screen. On the phone itself you still see the logo as though inControl is working but it is not. Spotify will work bluetooth but I don't want to pick up my phone whilst driving

Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

[QUOTE=LT Cav;1767923]I too cannot use Spotify well since iOS 11. it seems it tries to open Spotify when you select it from inControl and then loses connectivity and you have to reconnect. If you have it set to automatically open Spotify you are instantly shot, if in settings it opens nothing it will go to the home screen until picking ANY inControl App, JustDrive, Accuweather, Spotify - it usually works long enough to start a playlist then acts as though it lost connection, on the radio home you see incontrol apps as a selection but hit it and you see the fail screen. On the phone itself you still see the logo as though inControl is working but it is not. Spotify will work bluetooth but I don't want to pick up my phone whilst driving[/QUOTE

Everything you describe is what I am experiencing....this needs to be fixed ASAP. Just updated to IOS 11 yesterday and now I wish I hadn’t. How do we get JLR to take care of it?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:13 AM

Everything you describe is what I am experiencing....this needs to be fixed ASAP. Just updated to IOS 11 yesterday and now I wish I hadn’t. How do we get JLR to take care of it?[/QUOTE]

Not sure, I went to the app store and clicked on support and it just goes to a general Jag webpage. I added a support request but I'm not very hopeful

Old 10-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

iOS11 broke it.... contact Apple to fix it!

Old 10-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Default Update...

Originally Posted by JagV8
Played with it a little bit today. If you hook up your phone and click on “Allow” when it pops up, then you can access InControl menu. But, when you click JustDrive, it flakes out. Disconnect the cable and then reconnect again...and JustDrive will load.

Still flaky but I was able to use it today.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:43 PM

Another update: I think that the main problem that is happening with iOS 11 is that the music automatic play function is overtaking the justDrive and inControl.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:43 PM

I received this response from Jaguar NA who istelling me to go to the dealer, what a waste of time, it is an app that needs an update, not sure when the heck I want to take the time for them to say yep, like you said it does not work!!!:
Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center. I appreciate your feedback. We have shared your comments with the appropriate teams.

At this time we ask that you please consult your local Jaguar dealer if you have not already done so. All technical questions, advice and recommendations are handled through our authorized dealer network. Either a parts or services guide will be able to assist. You can locate your closest retailer online at www.jaguarusa.com, under "Locate a Dealer".

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-4-JAGUAR, option 9, or by e-mail.

Sincerely,
Lindsey Ucker
Customer Relationship Center Administrator
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC

I said:

That is a terrible response. It is clearly a software issue which you KNOW they can’t fix. I’ve worked in software 25 years and this is not something fixed at a dealership. Your app needs an update.

They quickly replied:

Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center. We certainly understand your frustration.

In order for Jaguar Cars to obtain accurate readings and concerns, we depend on our retailers to gather supporting documentation for the technical and product teams. Corrections and or updates can only be produced with the assistance of the dealerships and our loyal customers feedback. Together we will continue to produce the best vehicles, both on and off road, as it has since inception.

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-4-JAGUAR, option 9, or by e-mail.

Sincerely,
Lindsey Ucker
Customer Relationship Center Administrator
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC

Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member

I'm surprised they didn't say "contact Apple".

Old 10-05-2017, 06:14 AM

Yeah...they are always flat footed when it comes to keeping up with tech... we have to be patient. I’ve been in contact with CloudCar who makes JustDrive. They are more responsive and probably the best way to get to JLR tech support. Their systems rely on each other so between both of them, they will sort it out.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
iOS11 was available to developers for at least six months before public release. Apple didn't just pull it out from behind a curtain, so there's really no excuse for Jaguar developers not to have tested it, as did many many other developers and updated their iOS application where needed.

Now if only they had just used CarPlay...

Old 10-07-2017, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member

Or better: reported to Apple that they broke stuff. For all you know they did but Apple ignored them.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

As a registered Apple Developer (which they have to be in order to distribute through the App Store) they of course can file defect reports on Apple API or core code and they can track those to see if they are being dealt with and when. If however the issue is with their own code, then the onus is on them to fix it. Sometimes stuff that used to work because of a loop hole, stops working when Apple fixes the problem (say a security risk). At that point, Apple aren't going to revert it because it needs to stay fixed.

You can't release a single version of your application and expect it to work forever. Word 3 almost certainly no longer runs on Windows 10. Can't expect Microsoft to take the blame for that or accommodate it....

Sorry, but the "Apple broke my Jag and need to fix it" just doesn't hold water in the real world of software development.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
As a registered Apple Developer (which they have to be in order to distribute through the App Store) they of course can file defect reports on Apple API or core code and they can track those to see if they are being dealt with and when.
Let's hope JLR publicly state where they are on this. E.g. if they've reported it and are waiting for Apple then that would be helpful.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reached out to Jaguar, Apple and Spotify. Apple and Spotify have opened support cases for the issue and have stayed engaged so far. Jaguar responded with the same template email previously posted telling me to go to the dealer. This is a software issue so I don't feel that bringing the car to the dealer makes any sense unless Jaguar releases a fix for this specific problem. If I make any progress with Apple or Spotify I will post an update.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Should be enough. If Apple believe JLR are to blame they will have every chance to say so both to them and you.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Default fixed...I think

Just updated to IOS 11.1...it seems to have restored the functionality. I will keep using it and advise.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Just updated to IOS 11.1...it seems to have restored the functionality. I will keep using it and advise.
Didn't resolve the problem for me. Have a case open with Jaguar and will report back on progress...

Old 11-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hang on for iOS11.2 etc.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Default Slightly better but still off

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Didn't resolve the problem for me. Have a case open with Jaguar and will report back on progress...
Okay...here is an update. IOS11.1 has improved the functionality of JustDrive, and now it will load from the InControl menu. Contacts also loads when before it would not. Spotify is still messed up. Intermittently loads, and craps out after a few seconds.

I suspect the new system that blocks use when driving is affecting the functionality. Could be wrong, but just a guess.

They have to fix this...

Quick Reply: Incontrol Apps - Spotify not working