General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

I doubt it Steve, pre 1997 are going to be dealer specific only...maybe an old WDS unit, not sure about the newer IDS or SDD systems.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveL
Are there any out there for 95's that read Jag specific codes?
Hmmm....

The "factory" diagnostic kit for that period was Genrad PDU, the WDS was from 1996 & only for the OBD vehicles i believe...

One guy who would know is Bog Gauff; username is motorcarman.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Ultra Gauge seems to work nicely. Obviously I have reading for coolant temp, air intake temp, etc. And just about anything else. But for a newbie to Jaguar products I dont really know how to utilize this info. For example how hot should my coolant be or how much should I be taking in? Or is my 13.8 voltage correct?

Where would I look to find this info.

I do also realize I can get codes from my gauge. For example the other day while using a heavy foot on the throttle. I got a code, researched it, changed the air filter. Car idols and performs better and no more code.

So in short not sure where I can info on my cars stats.

Also would like to mention this form is great, although i do not post often I read all the new entries almost every morning!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The usual automotive lead-acid 12volt nominal battery voltage specs are normally:--
Not under charge, 12.6 to 12.8volts. Less depending on any load.
Float-charge, 13.8volt.
Normal automotive, under alternator charge. 14.4volt.
Trickle-charge, disconnect after 15volt.

Why Jaguar set their alternator charge to 13.8volt is a little unusual, but I daresay they have good reason. It may be to do with specifications for the partic. battery fitted at manufacture. Not all lead-acid batteries are alike by any means. If you use an automotive spec. battery for a deep-discharge purpose, it won't last long. An invalid-chair use springs to mind. The stop-start boys are learning this lesson the hard way!!!!

Leedsman.

The following users liked this post:
KillerKat (09-22-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Mechanic read codes with Snap On Reader

Not sure which model, nor how old it was, but I took car to local recommended mechanic and he used a Snap On Tools reader and read 4 codes for me. 3 were misfire codes, P0300, P0302 and P0305, which showed me that cyl. 5 was misfiring as well as #2 that I had already replaced the coil on. The 4th code, P1314, was Misfire Rate Catalyst Fault Band #2. I figured I'd start with the #5 coil and the car runs like a charm again. Only took me about 10 minutes to change that one, now that I've done the #2 coil and checked all 6. I didn't do anything with the catalyst fault code yet, because I'm guessing that was related to the other misfires and because many people have stated that catalyst failures cause misfires too. I think it was coding even though nothing was wrong with catalytic converter, if that's what it was referring to.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air suspension

I would respectfully ask again, do any of these scanners read the air suspension system on a 04 XJR?

Thanks,
rcode

Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Launch 301050079 Pocket Tech Pro OBDII Code Reader | eBay

Whilst it's true I want one that will read ABS codes this cheapie worked to clear the code PO420. Cat efficiency, I believe. Mechanic says it's common.

I know for certain it doesn't read ABS codes as I tried-before having it repaired-but it did read and clear this one code that wasn't ABS related.

So my dilemma is-do I buy one of these or is there one as reasonably priced that will do more?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyO
Launch 301050079 Pocket Tech Pro OBDII Code Reader | eBay

Whilst it's true I want one that will read ABS codes this cheapie worked to clear the code PO420. Cat efficiency, I believe. Mechanic says it's common.

I know for certain it doesn't read ABS codes as I tried-before having it repaired-but it did read and clear this one code that wasn't ABS related.

So my dilemma is-do I buy one of these or is there one as reasonably priced that will do more?
This Code Reader, and many other in the under $50 bracket, will read and clear Pxxxx (Powertrain) codes. They will NOT read and clear:

Bxxxx - Body Codes
Cxxxx - Chassis Codes
Uxxxx - Network Codes

If you want to interface with these codes, then the solution is a Scan Tool in the $100's or $1000's.

Several members (myself included) have AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar Expansion. This is the nearest you can get to dealer levels of interaction with the OnBoard systems at reasonable cost.

Unless you intend to do all your own repairs and want to make the investment in a Scan Tool, the low Cost Reader will allow you to resolve the majority of common faults. It does of course mean you will be reliant on professional help for Body, Chassis or Network related faults.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 09-26-2012 at 09:45 AM.
JonnyO (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rcode
I would respectfully ask again, do any of these scanners read the air suspension system on a 04 XJR?

Thanks,
rcode
As GGG states earlier, you need a higher end scan tool such as AutoEnginuity that will read body,chassis, and network codes.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

well I found out for sure autel will read abs on 2001 jag xjr its a confirm under $300

Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM

I must apologize for not getting into detail but I had the dreaded abs/no asc light on my 01 xjr, which at first appeared occasionally and go away after restarting the car until one day it just would not go away ,oh I must not forget to add that the abs module has been rebuilt and speed sensor changed and we all dread the infamous dealer being that there only the one who could diagnose abs issues well thing of the pass now the new autel maxidaig elite md702 it not only does abs also body,network,Chas,etc (factory codes not generic) for under $300 it found a c1154 (broken wire to speed sensor )code and cleared it after I made the repair so I save my money because its cheaper than the dealer and more reliable and user friendly than autoenguity just from my personal experience joy

The following 2 users liked this post by JoyskiXJR:
MRomanik (10-06-2012), Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by JoyskiXJR
............... the new autel maxidaig elite md702 ............. more reliable and user friendly than autoenguity
To draw this conclusion, have you carried out a direct comparison by using both the Autel MaxiDaig Elite MD702 and AutoEnginuity with Jaguar Pack on your 2001 XJR?

Graham

Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM

Yes and autoenginuity like I commented earlier the cost ,and its not so user friendly this scanner should be number one on the list far none this thing will pull the codes from a buggati and a maybach joy

Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 PM

Also may I add to my reasoning.. simply convenience who want to lug around a laptop or and not everyone is computer literate suppose to a simple hand held device that will give you instructions step by step and you just have to follow them

Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
I've got another one on order now, its a v1.5, so hopefully can report on its success in a week or so.
Any update on this? I'm looking at that one too.

Also, I know Torque can't compete with AutoEngenuity and dealer tools, but with these ELM327 adapters, how much can one really do with them? The only reason I'm looking at one is so I can head off problems before they show up (my XJ8 is totally fine so far). Is this realistic or not?

Lcgi (10-11-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

a4500435, get the ELM327 reader and then get your hands on the "Torque" Android app or the Torque app for your smart phone. I just got the ELM327 reader (bluetooth capable) and started playing with it on my car just to see what it can do (no codes right now). For the $10 total that I spent to get the reader and torque app, I can not be happier. It does more than my $80 Actron 9125 handheld piece does. The other nice thing is that I now have live data feed for my car too. If you have a laptop with bluetooth capability, you can set up about 12 different parameters to watch (just don't do it when you are the driver), but you can sit in the passenger seat and see all that the motor is doing. May not respond the quickest, but for $10, what are you expecting?

I now have some testing I want to do to improve my knowledge of how good things are and to hopefully make me a better tech in learning exactly what readings should be to provide better dianostics.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
a4500435, get the ELM327 reader and then get your hands on the "Torque" Android app or the Torque app for your smart phone. I just got the ELM327 reader (bluetooth capable) and started playing with it on my car just to see what it can do (no codes right now). For the $10 total that I spent to get the reader and torque app, I can not be happier. It does more than my $80 Actron 9125 handheld piece does. The other nice thing is that I now have live data feed for my car too. If you have a laptop with bluetooth capability, you can set up about 12 different parameters to watch (just don't do it when you are the driver), but you can sit in the passenger seat and see all that the motor is doing. May not respond the quickest, but for $10, what are you expecting?

I now have some testing I want to do to improve my knowledge of how good things are and to hopefully make me a better tech in learning exactly what readings should be to provide better dianostics.
A brief check, on my part, seems to show it not being compatible with the X300. ( the elm327 )
What did I miss? This type of technology is very appealing to me. I just got an iphone 4 ( not s ) and it would be exciting to be able to use it for monitoring the Jag!
Thanks.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

JonnyO, you are correct. Your 1995 XJ does not have the OBD-II computer system that I am aware of. Therefore, the Elm327 will not work on your car. You would need what is referred to as an EEC-IV reader. These can be had at a local auto parts store for dirt cheap ($40 or less). Granted, if you get your hands on an analog multimeter, you can connect the multimeter to a plug under the hood of the car and watch the needle jump and you can figure out the codes that way. The EEC-IV and OBD-II are completely different systems. It would be like saying a 486 desktop is the same computer as a new laptop. They are both computers, but what they can do is dramatically different.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
JonnyO, you are correct. Your 1995 XJ does not have the OBD-II computer system that I am aware of. Therefore, the Elm327 will not work on your car. You would need what is referred to as an EEC-IV reader. These can be had at a local auto parts store for dirt cheap ($40 or less). Granted, if you get your hands on an analog multimeter, you can connect the multimeter to a plug under the hood of the car and watch the needle jump and you can figure out the codes that way. The EEC-IV and OBD-II are completely different systems. It would be like saying a 486 desktop is the same computer as a new laptop. They are both computers, but what they can do is dramatically different.
NO, NO, NO!
If you look closer you'll see I SOLD the '95 and now have a '96!
So it's OBDII.
My questions are, when I checked the list of cars the 327 worked with, the X300 was no where to be found.
And is there an app for the iphone 4?
Again, I'm just looking into this on the surface as there are more knowledgeable guys in this community who KNOW the answers to my queries, but this would be an awesome tool to have
And why do I see pooh-poohing of the chinese made Elm327 when that's about all I see out there?
Thanks for your time!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

A couple mentions of iphone apps in this very thread...

G-Link Tech and FuzzyLuke FuzzyCar, though I don't have any person experience with them. If they're free, its easy to check to see if they work with your bluetooth OBDII reader.

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **