General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Getting the version information from him now Brian.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here's the response I received inquiring if the x431 worked on the 04 XJR suspension"
Good Morning, I emailed the Manufacturer and their response was, Our current software only allows to read/clear codes and view live data, there is no actuation available. I hope this helps, plese contact us sam@mile-x.com if you have any other questions. Thanksn:
"
I'm now totally confused.

rcode

Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Playing with my ELM 327 micro reader (bluetooth version), it works wonderfully on my 03 X-TYpe, but it will not work on an 05 X-Type (same motor, same overall options). The only difference is some of the wiring and the connections between the computers (the 05 has the CAN buss setup where the 03 does not). So, other than maybe a little bit of programming inside of the computers, that is about the only difference I know of. Maybe others can chime in their experiences.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rcode
So here's the response I received inquiring if the x431 worked on the 04 XJR suspension"
Good Morning, I emailed the Manufacturer and their response was, Our current software only allows to read/clear codes and view live data, there is no actuation available. I hope this helps, plese contact us sam@mile-x.com if you have any other questions. Thanksn:
"

rcode

ok let me explain,the x431 will READ and reset the suspension codes...yes,coding and height adjustment isnt available on the some x431 models...EX. A x431 master will doing actuation,meaning adjust your idle rpm speed,adjust your pedal sensor,and do height adjustment coding.There are several LAUNCH models using x431 platform software,such as autobook,diagun,and master,and gds.All three of the later models mentioned will code.If you go to the website click on the models and also,the link that says more info,it will show a spread sheet, and a comparison of each unit's capacity in relation to each other..Let me say this also,I just used my x431 Autobook lastnight on a 2005 bmw x3 ...It allowed me to actuate the headlights,the windshield wipers,the radio,power side view mirrors(folding down)and the power windows.Yes I powered them all up from the Launch scanner, and did a load graph on each module.Results were showing open circuits,and offline communication on the child safety feature on the rear passenger window had failed.I have to be honest, I was surprised that my unit did this and it had the option of coding also.So makes me wonder if that customer rep was up to date on the units functions.I may just try and make a video showing what mine will do.I do like the unit,and for the money so far it has been a great unit.I believe youtube has some videos of the units in action check them out and see if that will help you get a better idea.Wish I could be of more help...

Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rcode
"

rcode
Hey rcode just checked my email,and guess what?I recieved a update from Launch that new software is available for me on a few models,so I copied and pasted the info.Pay close attention to what the software does.As you can see it clearly actuates modules and in some will allow programing transponder keys...

X431 software upgrade information

Monday, November 5, 2012 11:05 PM

"x431site@cnlaunch.com" <x431site@cnlaunch.com>
Add sender to Contacts

To:
undisclosed-recipients

Dear Sirs/Madams,
We are pleased to inform you that some new versions of X431 diagnostic program are available
now. Please visit our website at Welcome to X431 Website to see the information.
For your convenience, a copy of the news is provided below. You are welcome to contact us
whenever you have any question.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Best regards
Launch Tech. Co.,Ltd

incl.
News:

1)USA FORD Diagnostic Software for X-431 Series V41.60
This software is issued in 9 languages: simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, English, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Arabic, French, and Russian.

Compared with the previous version (V41.50), the Remote keyless entry [RKE] functions (including program transponder, clear one transponder, view current transponder, and clear all transponders) have been added to the 2005-2011 E-Series, Edge, Excursion, Expedition, Explorer, F-150, F-Series Super Duty, Mustang, Fusion, and Taurus, etc., twenty-one models under the System search menu.

Note: the latest version of display software shall be used to ensure the normal operation of diagnostic software.
Regarding the specific tested contents for this version, please refer to the ‘Vehicle Coverage’ on X431 website.

2)BMW Diagnostic Software for X-431 Product Family V45.60
This software is issued in 16 languages: simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Russian, Polish, Italian, Japanese, Arabic, Greek, French, Serbian, and Korean.

Compared with the previous version (V45.50),
1. Following specific functions have been added.
(1) For the DME under the E46, E38, and E39, etc., Idle-speed adjustment, Exhaust-gas recirculation, Start basic injection quantity, Consumption calculation, Injection rate, Injector rate adjustment, Quantity mean-value adaptation, Bleeding, fuel system, Read measured values, etc., special functions.
(2) For the STVL(TMFA), and STVR(TMBF) under the E60 etc., chassis: Windows initialization.
(3) For the EMF under the F01, and F10 etc., chassis: EMF workshop mode (special function).
(4) For the MFL, and DME under the E46, and E38 etc., chassis: version information, data streams, read DTCs, clear DTCs, and actuation test.
2. The following contents have been improved:
(1) For the DME under the E90, and E60 etc., chassis: DME/DDE-CAS adjustment (special function)
(2) The BMW menu.
(3) The text libraries in Russian, French, Arabic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, German, simplified Chinese, and traditional Chinese.

Note: the latest version of display software shall be used to ensure the normal operation of diagnostic software.
Regarding the specific tested contents for this version, please refer to the ‘Vehicle Coverage’ on X431 website.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the autel will read every sensor on a jaguar as I said in a previous post it read abs codes on my 01 xjr no even the famous snap on scanner could not retrieve abs codes.as for the suspension it would read it also if there was a way I could put a snap shot of all the sensor it reads a total of 18 different sensors on this site to show if anyone can tell me how to add a picture to this post thanks

Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Playing with my ELM 327 micro reader (bluetooth version), it works wonderfully on my 03 X-TYpe, but it will not work on an 05 X-Type (same motor, same overall options). The only difference is some of the wiring and the connections between the computers (the 05 has the CAN buss setup where the 03 does not). So, other than maybe a little bit of programming inside of the computers, that is about the only difference I know of. Maybe others can chime in their experiences.
I have had success using the 327 on my 03. The only issue was connecting, selecting the right com port, using a Virtual com, and the correct speed.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I see that AutoEngunity is selling their REFURBISHED Rev7C USB ST05 scanners on eBay for $119.00. Their website indicates that the ST05 will work with the Jag enhanced package and does not require the newer ST06 device. Just to make sure I sent them an email:

It appears from your website that this will work with this:
Enhanced Jaguar Expansion
#EI11 - Access Jaguar-specific sensors not covered by the OBD-II specification.
Requires ST05 OBDII Rev 7C or ST06 ProLine
If so, are there any limitations? I specifically need it for a 2004 Jaguar XK-8

And got this reply:
You will be fine with this, we even have an example of your vehicle on the site: http://www.autoenginuity.com/vehicle...SensorList.htm (link is broken)

Bill

working link: http://www.autoenginuity.com/vehicle...r/JaguarXK800/

So I bought one.........seems like a pretty good deal

Last edited by gwagner; 11-07-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added working link
Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Bill,
Is this the one you ordered ?
Autoenginuity Windows Eobdiv Eobdv OBD2 Scan Tool Scanner USB | eBay
Have you tried it yet ?

ps emailed Autoenginuity - got this reply
You will also need to purchase teh EI11 Jaguar Expansion ($229USD) from our regular website. The information ont he exapansion is here: http://www.autoenginuity.com/product...ware.html#EI11 You can purchase the expansion here: http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html
- autoenginuitysales

So the total cost is $518 + P+P

Last edited by steveinfrance; 11-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Bill,
Is this the one you ordered ?
Autoenginuity Windows Eobdiv Eobdv OBD2 Scan Tool Scanner USB | eBay
Have you tried it yet ?

ps emailed Autoenginuity - got this reply
You will also need to purchase teh EI11 Jaguar Expansion ($229USD) from our regular website. The information ont he exapansion is here: OE-Level Coverage (Enhanced Interfaces) You can purchase the expansion here: Order Online
- autoenginuitysales

So the total cost is $518 + P+P
I'm George. Bill was the guy from AutoEngunity

Yes that's the one. Don't have it yet. Total cost with expansion is more like $350.00

Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Save your money on AE especially ST05 and just get the ACI Scan Tool from ecutool . com

The ST05 interface is extremely slow. I have it. The expansion packs are an arm and a leg too. I have the ST05 with Nissan and LandRover unlocked. What pissed me off is the fact that I purchased the ST05 and within 3 months they released the ProLine and than some of the expansion packs weren't available anymore for the ST05.

So, finally looks like the chinese cracked AE and now sell the complete package(all cars unlocked) with their interface (as good as ProLine) for $300. They shipped it from hong kong to chicago in 3 days over the weekend. I ordered it friday last week and received it monday.

Will I be able to get software updates? Probably not, but it does all cars up to 9.1.1 release and for $300 I can't complain.

I forgot to add that the ACI interface seems well made comparing to the original ST05.

Here's a pic of the guts:

Last edited by adam699; 11-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ELM327 Interfaces

Hello to those interested in the cheap ELM327 interfaces. Three weeks ago I had no experience about these but I had a 'Check Engine' light on my XKR-S.
I went to the friendly Jaguar Garage and he used a hand held scanner and told me it may be the fuel cap. P0441 and he reset my MIL light for free.
Now I know that all garages are not so friendly and I want to see whats going on, so I ordered an ELN327 device from ebay for 20 GBP and waited for it to arrive. Anyway what seemed like a UK website and seller was actually from China, but for 20 GBP what do I expect.
Could I make it work initially? NO.
I watched some youtube videos about these devices and thought I had bought a faulty one and put the 20 quid down to experience.
Then I went to ELNSCAN and bought a ELM327 device (ELMscan5 Compact for 49.99 with a good selection of software). This device arrived and I loaded the software OBDWIZ and registered it. Off the car and connected to my USB port this did not work. A quick call to ELMSCAN and the guy says that I must have the ignition on.
I try again and WOW, with OBDWIZ this device is brilliant and it has an auto detect option for the device.
So I go back to my 20 GBP Chinese ELM327, which by the way does not need my car ignition on to be detected by my Laptop (running windows7).
Using OBDWIZ the software recognises the cheap Chinese ELM327 and connects.
So I have both interfaces working, notably the Chinese ELM327 runs at higher than 9600 and for other software such as Scantool, you must have the baudrate set to 38400. I have this device on Com 8 in Windows Device manager and the ELMSCan5 compact set to COM1. The interfaces are different as the drivers for the ELMSCAN are FTDI Drivers whereas the Chinese ELM327 is using standard Drivers from Windows 7 (auto detected by windows ) as SiliconLabs drivers.
So if anyone wants a cheap ELM327 with a PC, the Chinese ones do work and work best with software that auto detects such as OBDWIZ which was free with the ELMSCAN 5 compact.
I feel happier that I can check my codes before going to the garage and maybe can solve some problems on my own.
Now I have both these devices working with OBDWIZ, Scanmaster, Scantool and EasyObdII.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 AM

It may be just a different protocol or timing? I have just put an entry here lower (253) and using software OBDWIZ I have managed with auto detect to make two different ELM327 devices work.
My experience is very limited but I thing the settings and timing needs to be spot on and some software is more flexible than others. I would have expected yours to work on both cars.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM

I just tried the software Scanmaster and EasyObdII with my cheap ELM327 interface device and it was telling me the Body and Chassis codes. I must check it was actually reading them. But I don't believe they would be retained in the program so they must be coming from my ECU.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 AM

Don't throw away your ELM327. I had a similar issue and bought another and now I have them both working. Some software is not so flexible and with drivers and baud rates and protocols, the combination needs to be just right I found.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I just purchased today and would recommend:

Actron CP9550 Pocketscan Plus

It offers the following features:
1) reads codes
2) erases codes and turns of CLE
3) displays emissions status
4) on screen code definition
5) displays freeze frame data

This cost me $90 at Pepboys.

My car is a 2003. Jaguar S Type R

Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just got my ELM327 from Amazon for $24
Amazon.com: BAFX Products (TM) - BLUETOOTH - OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER - CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products (TM) - BLUETOOTH - OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER - CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER: Automotive
. It's S-type 2005 v6.

It seems to work great with free Torque Android app in my phone.

Reads both live data and errors, however can't say for sure about the errors as it says that there are none. It reports one pending error P1000, it should change to P1111 I guess, but no idea yet how to do that transition.

Will consider getting paid Torque.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Autel AL519 scanner. I have had it for about a week and I can tell you it reads things that I don't even know what they are. Having said that, it reads codes, gives you troubleshooting things to look at and shuts off check engine lights. Seems to work very well with my '04 XK8. I would give it an "excellent" recommendation. About $78.00 on Amazon. Hope this helps someone.

Darrell

Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought a Memoscan U480 off ebay for a tenner, worked great on my 2004 XKR

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **