General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

In case anyone is shopping for the ACTRON CP9180 Advance Auto Parts has it on sale for 1/2 off. In Georgia that is $94 and at least $25 less than anywhere else on the net that I found.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if the choice was between the AutoEnginuity unit or the OBDCOM unit, which one would people go for? Its seems that the AE unit does it all. However, what enhancements it has over the OBDCOM unit seems to be only useful in some sub-systems that I may not feel comfortable dabbling in. Or, maybe these systems just aren't worth accessing for the extra $400.

Does anyone have an objective answer to this dilemma?

Cheers

John

Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I got the AE since it could nail down my ABS sensor, to the exact corner, before I started diagnosing the cause of the intermittent DSC fault. If you never want to see some details on systems outside of the basic Engine and Transmission, get a regular sub $100 scanner. Ive found the AE pretty useful for many other things, like watching the o2 trims, and it can see/monitor many specific items in the engine, transmission, and various systems. IT all amounts to money and the value of what you may need it for.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought a "Memoscan" U480 from A guy called Tony in UK (tony@mediasave.co.uk). It was only £22 + post. It's cheap and cheerful, but does automatically sense the data format in use by the car. My 2006 S-type diesel turned out to be CAN, and it showed 'no codes'. A good feature is the 33 pages of codes in the hand book. This little gadget is cheap enough to keep in the car, or even have it plugged in all the time, just in case you're chasing an intermittent fault.
Leedsman.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

So leedsman, is that a recommendation for the Memoscan?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't endorse a product as in this case I've only tested one unit; to give an endorsement I'd have to test at least hundreds of units AND on many cars with proven fault codes to check accuracy of the device's analysis. However I can say that it's cheap and handy, and of course you can take it from car to car as time wears on. Most users won't want to spend hugely on a device they'll only look at once or twice; if you're a semi-professional you'll want something more comprehensive, and there does seem to be plenty on the market in that slot, as exemplified here on this website.
Leedsman.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 PM
JWT
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyanide
So, if the choice was between the AutoEnginuity unit or the OBDCOM unit, which one would people go for? Its seems that the AE unit does it all. However, what enhancements it has over the OBDCOM unit seems to be only useful in some sub-systems that I may not feel comfortable dabbling in. Or, maybe these systems just aren't worth accessing for the extra $400.

Cheers

John
I went with OBDII. It seems to do a great job as far as engine scans are concerned. The AE unit does far more, but costs about 4 times as much. In addition to reading and resetting Jaguar Specific codes, OBDII allows you to monitor things like O2 sensors, fuel trims, engine temp, mass air flow,etc, etc and has a freeze frame feature. In addition to that, the support level is great. I am not an experienced mechanic, so I find it gives me more than I can handle. I suppose it comes down to how much functionality you require.

The following users liked this post:
JWestXJR2000 (05-15-2022)
Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I have been using the Innova 3030 for a while now. It has read the codes on my 01 XKR and my 04 XJ8 with no problems. The book that came with it has a list of all the generic codes, but it will display the Jag codes too. To get a list of the Jag codes, I went to www.engine-light-help.com and and printed out the Jag specific code list and put it in my owners manual of the Innova 3030.

The following 2 users liked this post by hlgeorge:
Samantha (03-13-2013), wcnesta (07-03-2012)
Old 07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Default MemoScan U480 for 1999 XJR

Hi guys

I use a MemoScan U480 (same as Leedsman above) for my 1999 XJR - works fine and reads jag specific codes. + would agree as to the code book, it's useful to be able to check general codes without having to go inside and fire up the pc.

Cost about £25 from fleabay so gets my recommendation.

(traced my intermittent misfire with it)

Alex

Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actron CP9035 works fine on my 2003 X-type

Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyanide

Cheers

John
I don't think an objective answer is possible.

I understand the OBDCOM only deals with the PCM (the engine controller), whereas the AE will do most if not all the modules, including TCM (transmission) and ABS etc. The AE lets you look at hundreds (or so it seems) of sensors all over the car. If you don't need that, don't spend the extra money.

I would guess the OBDCOM will read maybe 30-50 sensors on the engine only. Probably not even the IAT2 on the "R" models, even though that's an engine sensor, because it's not generic OBD-II.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Test Point, I know this was an older post however I just got a Innova 3140 and it displays a P1000 code all the time. Does yours do that and mine also does not go to "test complete" I did run the tool on my mercury and it did fine. Am I missing something? Any advice would be helpful; I thought you might know since you have a similar machine. If anyone has the same problem please let me know. 06’ XK8 Black/Camel

Old 07-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The P1000 code will only clear after all tests have been completed, it may be when you've tested it, some tests require some time driving, anyways it's nothing to worry about.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Just bought the Actron CP9125.

I'll give it my approval since it got all the error codes no problem. Erases error lights if you want and does some other stuff. Looks like a good deal just to read basic codes. $60.

2003 S-Type 8 cyl

Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

Dude, added your recommendation to the list. It looks like many of the Actrons are compatible with jag communications.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm on the Innova website looking at the OBDII defintions box. I put in Jaguar in the manufacturer box and it asks for the DTC code.
1. What does DTC mean?
2. What would the code be?

Thanks

2004 XJ8

Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

diagnostic trouble code, could be a P####, B####, C####

here's a link with a little more info, keep in mind, jaguar's codes don't always coincide with another manufacturer's when it comes to causes.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey guys,

I picked up an ELM327 off of eBay and have it working pretty good on my '04 S Type V8 4.2.

It picked up only one DTC - P1111 indicating an Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage error. Just have to figure out now if this is critical to fix.

I'm wondering which is the limiting factor with these gizmos. Does the unit pick up every code, but the software you're using not know what to do with the code? Or does the unit not read every sensor code?

I was hoping one of these units would be able to tell me which coil(s) I had to replace in my engine. I've got a rough idle periodically and was hoping to find out which one before I took my car in. Now I'm not too sure that my unit will do this. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob

The following users liked this post:
real22uu (08-14-2014)
Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Most don't read every code, there are several modules that report codes to the dealers equipment, most of these cheap ones only talk to the engine ECU, it will tell you about misfiring cylinders if the ECU detects them.
I guess the hardware is up to the job, but the manufacturers don't release the protocols needed to talk to any other modules, they have to standardise on the engine control module by law.
As for your air temp sensor warning, I'd say clear it and if it returns, at least check the connector to the sensor isn't dirty/corroded and consider replacing it.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Hey guys,

I picked up an ELM327 off of eBay and have it working pretty good on my '04 S Type V8 4.2.

It picked up only one DTC - P1111 indicating an Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage error. Just have to figure out now if this is critical to fix.

I'm wondering which is the limiting factor with these gizmos. Does the unit pick up every code, but the software you're using not know what to do with the code? Or does the unit not read every sensor code?

I was hoping one of these units would be able to tell me which coil(s) I had to replace in my engine. I've got a rough idle periodically and was hoping to find out which one before I took my car in. Now I'm not too sure that my unit will do this. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob
Now don't quote me on this, but I would assume the misfire you are having is directly related to the Intermittent High Voltage code. At least, in the past, when I scan my car, it tells me exactly which cyls are misfiring. If it's the Air Mixture, etc, it gives me that code. I would trust and repair the code before investing in coils. Especially since both the code and your miss are intermittent. Clean the connectors as previously mentioned and if that does not clear it, then research how to test/fix/replace the Air Temp Sensor.

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **