General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SDD purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts
Default SDD purchase

Hello all

i am closing in on purchasing the jaguar sdd ids programming from a fellow in england off ebay i plan on running it on a windowsxp pro service pack3 laptop...it comes with the sdd program with ids imbedded and a cable ...i know a few members have this program but i am a little leary of the sellers description...if all he says is true then i am good to go. He says program is not cracked any advice appreciated. 2006 str
​​​​​​

Last edited by GGG; 11-02-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

What version of SDD is it and what do you mean by "the program is not cracked"?

Old 10-30-2018, 02:28 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

SDD software can be downloaded for free.

To get it to work you need to buy a J2534 pass through cable which connects Jaguar obd port to USB port of laptop that has SDD.

Mongoose by Drew tech seems to be an approved cable but it is sold without their toolkit (most of which you don't need)

The genuine Mongoose is $400 to $500

My opinion for what it's worth is that's very expensive.

Lots of Chinese manufactured clones known as Mangoose.

Opinions vary on their quality.

I have just bought one for £40 approximately $50

Haven't been successful in getting it working yet

Seems to be a driver issue.

Final point is you either need a TOPIX subscription from Jaguar to use the online version or a "cracked version" or an older version of SDD that can be used offline.

See this post

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...2/#post1818254

Last edited by Paul_59; 10-30-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

hello and thanks for the replies...the version is 138 sdd with version 131 as an added feature...it says it comes with valid login and password....complete and ready to use with supplied cable....I am wanting to reprogram my remote functions and see what the software can do as far as reflash and so on.....for 170 bucks delivered and it does what it says...it sounds good...the unit seems to have a lot of bi-dierctional control capabilities...I am pretty good with learning about the program before just jumping in because I know if you push the wrong button all hell can break loose...I think the ability to use manufacturer software is always a plus....any more input very welcome...I do not plan on buying for another couple weeks

Old 10-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

If he has a legit password and login, stay offline while using and you're fine. $170 is a steal and my focus would be on he quality of the hardware.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
If he has a legit password and login, stay offline while using and you're fine. $170 is a steal and my focus would be on he quality of the hardware.
thats what I was thinking also about the price...I am hoping since it comes from england the seller has JLR contacts.....when I get it and give it a try I will update my progress...thanks again

Old 10-31-2018, 03:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjh9
...the version is 138 sdd with version 131 as an added feature...it says it comes with valid login and password....complete and ready to use with supplied cable....I am wanting to reprogram my remote functions and see what the software can do as far as reflash and so on.....
Be clear what is being offered.

It is an old version of SDD (current version in December 2018 is 1.55) and will definitely be cracked. If the vendor is claiming it is not cracked then he doesn't understand the meaning of the term. I also have cracked SDD versions which do not require my login but can only be used offline. For the genuine online version, my "valid login" is my Jaguar TOPIx user name and password which allows me to buy SDD time by the hour, day, week, month or year. Anyone can do this but it is expensive.

Installing SDD from the original JLR fileset is a very lengthy process (several hours) so if it is "complete and ready to use" it is likely to be installed on a VM (Virtual Machine with XP Pro and SDD already installed) and supplied as a memory stick or DVD. Nothing wrong with this - it will allow you to connect to the vehicle and interrogate the modules etc but it can never be used online and therefore never be updated. I've tried VM versions but prefer a direct install on an XP Pro laptop from a performance perspective.

The cable will either be unbranded or a Chinese Mongoose clone. The genuine article from Drew Technologies is several hundred $/£'s. Clones have a reputation for unreliability and have been known to fail at critical stages of a diagnostics session.

Would I troubleshoot with a cracked version of SDD and cloned cable? Certainly. Would I reprogram modules with it? Certainly not! I know members who have reprogrammed - some have been successful and others have ended up with a bricked vehicle.

At $170, it will enable you to connect to your vehicle asnd interrogate the modules but proceed further than that with caution.

Another caveat which doesn't apply in your circumstances but may to other who read this thread. SDD v138 worked with my 2007 XK and earlier Jaguars. It will not work with my 2014 XK and I have to use v150 on that vehicle.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 12-04-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Add relevant date to "current " version
The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
guy (02-09-2020), jaidank (11-02-2018), Sean W (11-03-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Be clear what is being offered.

It is an old version of SDD (current version is 1.54) and will definitely be cracked. If the vendor is claiming it is not cracked then he doesn't understand the meaning of the term. I also have cracked SDD versions which do not require my login but can only be used offline. For the genuine online version, my "valid login" is my Jaguar TOPIx user name and password which allows me to buy SDD time by the hour, day, week, month or year. Anyone can do this but it is expensive.

Installing SDD from the original JLR fileset is a very lengthy process (several hours) so if it is "complete and ready to use" it is likely to be installed on a VM (Virtual Machine with XP Pro and SDD already installed) and supplied as a memory stick or DVD. Nothing wrong with this - it will allow you to connect to the vehicle and interrogate the modules etc but it can never be used online and therefore never be updated. I've tried VM versions but prefer a direct install on an XP Pro laptop from a performance perspective.

The cable will either be unbranded or a Chinese Mongoose clone. The genuine article from Drew Technologies is several hundred $/£'s. Clones have a reputation for unreliability and have been known to fail at critical stages of a diagnostics session.

Would I troubleshoot with a cracked version of SDD and cloned cable? Certainly. Would I reprogram modules with it? Certainly not! I know members who have reprogrammed - some have been successful and others have ended up with a bricked vehicle.

At $170, it will enable you to connect to your vehicle asnd interrogate the modules but proceed further than that with caution.

Another caveat which doesn't apply in your circumstances but may to other who read this thread. SDD v138 worked with my 2007 XK and earlier Jaguars. It will not work with my 2014 XK and I have to use v150 on that vehicle.

Graham
Thanks Graham...I knew you would chime in eventually...he says he has a genuine jlr cable and I would be running on genuine xp pro...138 is offline...131 is online only...he only has 5 units available...I will ask if the cable is genuine and go from there..maybe he bought some old jaguar cables...the programming does come on a USB stick...I will do some more q and a work...this info you all have given is what I was looking for to ask the right questions of the seller...thanks again....Scott

Old 11-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

+1 on GGG's comments.

I have several versions and a genuine Drew Tech cable which I was lucky enough to pick up on sale. My original mangoose cable bit the dust after less than a year. I have two laptops running 2 different SDD versions. Both with "freeze" to keep the date constant. I forget what that date is offhand. One version I have is date restricted.

I have used it to reprogram my ride height which is a very lengthy procedure where a battery support product is vital to maintain the voltage at the correct level.

I would NEVER use it to reflash something like the ECU unless I was desperate and had nothing to lose. as others have bricked their ECU trying it.

Have your laptop configured with max memory supported.

Last edited by jackra_1; 11-02-2018 at 09:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jaidank (11-02-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update

I have purchased a 2 disc set of jlr ids from a guy in the UK...one disc has sdd files and the other has calibration files...I spoke to him and trust his product...25 dollars delivered...I also bought a mangoose cable...he said his discs have the proper drivers for these cables...paid 45 dollars for the cable straight from China...will be using the ids/sdd on a Windows xppro service pack 3..will give update when I get it up and running

Old 12-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Will be interested to see what you get.

Another word of caution. When I was installing JLR SDD on my dedicated Laptop I made the mistake of NOT doing a restore point before loading the software.

I had a failure when loading the software which necessitated doing a re-install. It absolutely would not re-install unless the original install was totally removed.

No way could I remove the original install. I had to reload Windows XP from scratch.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Will be interested to see what you get.

Another word of caution. When I was installing JLR SDD on my dedicated Laptop I made the mistake of NOT doing a restore point before loading the software.

I had a failure when loading the software which necessitated doing a re-install. It absolutely would not re-install unless the original install was totally removed.

No way could I remove the original install. I had to reload Windows XP from scratch.
Thanks for the heads up..I have a laptop with a fresh xp sp3 install to eliminate possible glitches and have Max speed

Old 12-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Default update

I got my programming discs cable and laptop this week....installed the sdd/ids programming without a hitch....also included were the calibration and spa pinpoint test file....the mongoose pro connected flawlessly and everything works nicely when hooked into the car...i bought everything seperate....laptop 80.00 dollars....discs for 25.00 dollars and a genuine mongoose pro jlr from korea for 46.00 dollars.....I know the vci cable sounds to good to be true but when I plugged it into the laptop it read it as a drew tech mongoose pro and it took the genuine mongoose drivers to make it work...the cincher was when I had it all hooked up to the sdd and it reads it as genuine mongoose pro....it even came with the mongoose sticker and a drew tech sticker...I have done a few basic things already like programming my key fobs...unfortunately my ddm is faulty...it cannot hold the sync...anyway I will try a reconfigure on the module....needless to say I am very pleased and thank you all for the advice and input

Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Default Sdd is powerful

Needless to say is I use this sdd ids more and more I am very impressed.I thought a Snap-On Solus Pro had a lot of power and functions but this sdd puts it to shame. I've done some module programming and some Diagnostics with it and I'm just scratching the surface. I did a reflash of my transmission control module and also my powertrain control module and this car has never run this good I got better gas mileage and no more hesitation at all when I Stomp the throttle.I originally bought the set up so I could reprogram my key fob remotes and found that my driver's door module was faulty so that should be coming in about a week my new one and then this setup has really paid for itself thank you to everybody for their input and looking forward to learning more about sdd.forgive me for any bad punctuation or spelling....I am somewhat dyslexic and use speech to text for longer posts and sometimes it reads like a drunken rambling.

Last edited by scottjh9; 12-21-2018 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Addition
jackra_1 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

How long did it take to re flash those modules?

Also what version of SDD do you have?

Old 12-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

I have version 131.03 with calibration and spa files...from what I understand...and I may be wrong...this is the latest version you can use offline...I was given a username and password that unlocks all features.. except dealer set up..the trans module about 10 minutes...powertrain about the same....others like park brake...front electronics and so on...anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes...I hook a charger up to the battery and get a good green battery icon and also keep the laptop plugged in because of the drain...what is really nice is I accidentally closed the session once and when sdd restarted it let me resume where I left off.. I am very pleased with the setup I have....I believe my version was released in 2012 and being my car is 06 it covers everything...still learning how to navigate it and relate the data to it's recommendations and functions...the only thing I have not been able to do is dealer set up...I have to buy an access code from a code generator I think...will do that in the near future if it relates to anything I want....just programmed my valet keys today ...I was nervous at first...all went smoothly..I did simple things at first to make sure I would not have any glitches due to missing files or my own negligence or not being patient

Last edited by scottjh9; 12-22-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Addition
jackra_1 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:57 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by scottjh9
I have version 131.03 with calibration and spa files...from what I understand...and I may be wrong...this is the latest version you can use offline.......
I'm running version 1.50 offline which was the last version to have the SPA and VDF files bundled in the release.

Graham

Old 12-23-2018, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
I'm running version 1.50 offline which was the last version to have the SPA and VDF files bundled in the release.

Graham
Thanks Graham...is that with login and does it still cover my 06...do you think version 150 would have any more recent programming for my car and if so how would I be able to get it

Old 12-23-2018, 05:18 PM
GGG

I have an offline version 1.30 installed on a Panasonic CF-28 Toughbook which works perfectly for models up to 2007 but can't communicate with my 2014 XK. Probably no benefit in going to 1.50 for a 2006.

I see the usual Chinese sources are advertising "offline" version 1.54 but don't know how they are getting this to work without the matching SPA and VDF files.

Graham

Old 12-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
I have an offline version 1.30 installed on a Panasonic CF-28 Toughbook which works perfectly for models up to 2007 but can't communicate with my 2014 XK. Probably no benefit in going to 1.50 for a 2006.

I see the usual Chinese sources are advertising "offline" version 1.54 but don't know how they are getting this to work without the matching SPA and VDF files.

Graham
I was thinking my version was plenty..my vci cable came with 154...needless to say I will not use it...I think it may be sdd only...I may see if it will load on my PC...no harm no foul there...if anything interesting comes up I will let you know...thanks for the input...I cannot see how snapon can keep up with the dealer level stuff....even at 6 grand+ for the cutting edge tools

Quick Reply: SDD purchase