General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SDD purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Another update

As I have been learning this sdd and using different features, I found a couple things that concerned me...once in a while it failed to program a non powertrain module and the audio module always had a configuration code from the get go....that module always failed...there were a couple of other glitches also...I was running 131.03...i decided to fully uninstall that version and install just version 131...no more glitches...all modules fully programmed, including audio except driver door module...it is bad...don't know why things are better, so I will not question what I know nothing about..... computer code writing...maybe the updates are glitchy...they are add on after the full install.... Happy New year to all

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (12-29-2018)
Old 05-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjh9
i decided to fully uninstall that version and install just version 131...no more glitches...all modules fully programmed, including audio except driver door module...it is bad...
Still happy with this?

Can you provide source links?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sone
Still happy with this?

Can you provide source links?
Yes,very happy with sdd,..bought the programming on ebay for version 131....version 145 is also very good....i used a website called vehcom.com...it has free links to several sdd versions

David Harlow (04-03-2020)
Old 05-09-2019, 04:08 PM

Yes,very happy with sdd,..bought the programming on ebay for version 131....version 145 is also very good....i used a website called vehcom.com...it has free links to several sdd versions
Which cable are you using?

Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Which cable are you using?
Using mongoose pro with genuine drew tech drivers....i have used different versions of sdd and have had zero problems with the cable interface

Old 05-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Using mongoose pro with genuine drew tech drivers....i have used different versions of sdd and have had zero problems with the cable interface
Genuine Mongoose Pro? Not a clone?

Reverend Sam (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Genuine Mongoose Pro? Not a clone?
That's what I'd like to know. I'd like to buy a cable, but I don't know which one to buy. I see them on Amazon and eBay from $40 to $1200. What's the difference?

Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
That's what I'd like to know. I'd like to buy a cable, but I don't know which one to buy. I see them on Amazon and eBay from $40 to $1200. What's the difference?
See post 13....placed called obdii365 for the cable.....not one glitch ever with the cable

Old 05-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

See post 13....placed called obdii365 for the cable.....not one glitch ever with the cable
You bought a clone. If it works fine,

Drewtech Mongoose Pro are approximately $500

Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
You bought a clone. If it works fine,

Drewtech Mongoose Pro are approximately $500
Thanks for the update....opinion noted....i knew someone would be putting me down....it would not work with clone drivers ...had to use genuine...and i did not ever say it was genuine

Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Hey if it works, it works. I sill google the company and see what they got. Thanks.

Where does one get the drivers (copies of originals)??

Old 07-21-2019, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Just received my mongoose cline and v138 & v131 SDD.

Loaded it up on a windows 10 laptop and it seems to have loaded and is working!

Old 07-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Thanks for the update....opinion noted....i knew someone would be putting me down....it would not work with clone drivers ...had to use genuine...and i did not ever say it was genuine
Very delayed reply.

Scott, sorry if my reply caused offence , I didn't intend to offend, no intention to put you or your choice down.

If your Mongoose works that's fine,

My only reason for my comment was to inform people who were asking if it was a clone.

I have also bought clone VCI having read a lot about pros and cons and pricing.

As I stated Drewtech Mongoose retail for about $500 , I haven't seen any used versions offered for sale for substantially lower prices.

Clones of Mongoose are available from a variety of suppliers, typically under $100.

They tend to work with genuine Drewtech drivers.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:16 PM

Okay, can we put the pieces together in one place?

Please post the URLs for the cable that you got that works, and for the software that you got that works.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:15 PM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Please forgive my ignorance here, but my IDS search led to this post and after reading much of this thread I'm still a little lost. I consider myself quite literate on pre-1996 vehicles and also on current computer/tech. Sounds like my new toy (2010 XKR) is more computer than car so I am in search of whatever provides me the best option to diagnose issues and apply fixes where ever possible. I hope my following questions will clear this up for me and I thank you for your patience in advance. First, is the IDS or IDS SDD the tool I'm looking for? Is it from JLR? Is it software and a cable or more? If so are continuous updates available and included in the price? Finally, if I'm tracking so far, why is $500-plus considered "pricey" in these discussions when the average XKR service may easily exceed that cost? Sounds like this tool would pay for itself after the first trouble fix. I wouldn't mind considering the "IDS" or whatever the right answer is at those prices if it fits the bill. I would just need to know where to go and purchase the tool, updates, subscriptions, etc.,etc. Thanks again.

Don

Old 08-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Don, a few thoughts. SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics) replaced IDS which replace WDS. This is the actual software. You can use IDS or SDD for a 2010. SDD was introduced in 2012 I think and is backward compatible. I find IDS a bit intuitive ironically. Both IDS and SDD work on my vehicle. All are JLR proprietary and you will need it for programming. There are no Jaguar diagnostic tools but only IDS/SDD will allow you to program.

Software versions - others can weigh in to tell you which version will meet the needs for a 2010. Versions get released as newer models come out so you don't need the newest. I have V123 which is old but meets the needs of my model.

Topix, is the support service. Earlier versions of the software can be found without the need for the Topix subscription service, certainly for your model year but you may find the service valuable. I don't know the cost but you can google it.

You will need a dedicated laptop Windows 7 32 bit.

Then there is a separate cable and VCM.

I'm attaching a copy of Jaguar approved cables/VCM.

Attached is a link of some videos so you get a basic understanding of the software.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...%3Asa&fr=yfp-t

Can't tell you why people complain about the cost.
There are several Chinese knockoffs of both the software and hardware, hence much of your confusion. Hope this sheds some light.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1-242NAS.pdf (124.8 KB, 153 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
d a (08-16-2019), guy (02-09-2020)
Old 08-16-2019, 09:09 AM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the insight. Unlike my 94 XJS V12 where all I needed was a torque wrench, service manual and a good floor jack (and a garage fridge), I know the XKR will be different. If the SDD isn't for diagnostics and primarily a programming tool, are tools like the icarsoft, launch and innova the primary choices for that? Also, as with any software, will I be able to check for updates of all the onboard XKR systems frequently or are those checks and updates exclusive to dealer visits? And is "Topix" a website? I've always considered servicing my older cars a part of the enjoyment of driving, owning and more importantly appreciating them. Sounds like those days are quickly becoming obsolete. No worries though, "Improvise, adapt and overcome" will get me through this. At least I can sign the XKR up for local car shows. Thanks again.

Don
2010 XKR Convertible
1995 TBird SC
1994 XJS V12 Coupe

Old 08-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I think it was a typo
There are no Jaguar diagnostic tools
-> There are non-Jaguar diagnostic tools

You can use IDS/SDD for diagnosis (after all, it's what Jaguar places use!).

It's not quick or user-friendly.

Sean W (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Correct Jag V8, yes it was a typo, thanks

Old 08-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by d a
Thanks for the insight. Unlike my 94 XJS V12 where all I needed was a torque wrench, service manual and a good floor jack (and a garage fridge), I know the XKR will be different. If the SDD isn't for diagnostics and primarily a programming tool, are tools like the icarsoft, launch and innova the primary choices for that? Also, as with any software, will I be able to check for updates of all the onboard XKR systems frequently or are those checks and updates exclusive to dealer visits? And is "Topix" a website? I've always considered servicing my older cars a part of the enjoyment of driving, owning and more importantly appreciating them. Sounds like those days are quickly becoming obsolete. No worries though, "Improvise, adapt and overcome" will get me through this. At least I can sign the XKR up for local car shows. Thanks again.

Don
2010 XKR Convertible
1995 TBird SC
1994 XJS V12 Coupe
I would be surprised if JLR came out with any additional updates for the 2010 model. Car is a decade old.

SDD is JLR's diagnostic tool. It is also the only tool used for reprogramming. Once you settle on a software version, I can think of no reason to update it per the reason I just gave.
Topix is a technical support website. (for when a workshop manual, wiring diagram and forum help are just not enough). It's where the dealerships go when they need additional help but individuals can subscribe too. They do offer some additional diagrams not found in manuals. I don't use them but there are a few guys here that have used the short term subscription and long term. Just google it and you can find out more. If you were to contact them, they would expect you to have SDD, I suspect.

Yes you can use iCarsoft and I think Foxwell makes a handheld as well. These handhelds read codes from the engine, like all do but also Transmission, body, chassis. As far as I know, they are the only handhelds that read all jaguar codes, but I don't keep up. What none of those will do is Program any of your modules. Also, in using the handhelds for diagnostics, you will only get the first 5 digits of a DTC, not the last 2. Typically, this is more than enough to steer anyone to diagnose and repair.

SDD also requires a standalone power supply. JLR recommends Midtronics. I use an Astron RM-50. The premise is you must have 14 volts minimum while programming and it needs to be low noise so a standard battery charger won't do. You don't need it to read and clear codes, but anything long term you'll want it.

I sent you links to videos. Think Windows XP when you think of how advanced the software is. It's Kludgy, a huge memory draw on the laptop (remember, it's one software version for all Jaguars and Land Rovers). This is the reason I suggest you use an older version of the software. You don't care about a 2016 F-Pace, etc...

Lastly, you will see Rotunda VCM 2 on eBay. They're not be be confused with the original Rotunda VCM model. They look the same but V2 is for Fords, not Jaguar.

I personally repair all I can on my own. That applies to everything under the sun, not just cars, with few limits. So for example, I'll R&R a transmission but no longer rebuild one. That said, SDD is for me, not a handheld. I rarely use it because my car is very reliable. Expect to invest $1000 for laptop, Hardware, Software and Power Supply.

Handhelds can be had for under $200.

Chinese knockoffs - I already mentioned them. I wouldn't touch one. Others had had "success".

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
d a (08-16-2019), jackra_1 (08-16-2019)

Quick Reply: SDD purchase