General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SDD V125 Software

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 05:00 AM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Steering column now locked.
Fresh install of Windows over night. Fresh install of v131.
Intialise immobilisation. Then reprogram transponders. Hopefully get the car mobile.
Then I think ill have to wait until my buddy borrows SDD.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,817 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Because SDD takes so long to install and sometimes goes wrong, I use the free version of Macrium Reflect to copy the fresh Windows installation before installing SDD. It then only takes minutes to put Windows back.

Graham

Old 12-05-2020, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 480 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Because SDD takes so long to install and sometimes goes wrong, I use the free version of Macrium Reflect to copy the fresh Windows installation before installing SDD. It then only takes minutes to put Windows back.

Graham
I’m not sure I understand what you’re doing here. What are you copying the fresh windows installation four? And why do you need to put windows back?

Old 12-05-2020, 01:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,817 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
I’m not sure I understand what you’re doing here. What are you copying the fresh windows installation four? And why do you need to put windows back?
I started with a dedicated laptop for SDD and a clean install of XP Pro. Formatting the HD and installing XP Pro and the Service Packs/updates is time consuming so I took a mirror of the HD with Macrium Reflect before installing SDD. I've run a number of different versions of SDD for various reasons and there is no way to do a full uninstall. Simplest way is to "reflect" the HD and install the required version of SDD. If you never want to retrograde your SDD, you don't even need to consider this.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Aarcuda (12-06-2020), Bill400 (02-22-2023), motorcarman (12-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you have to have the battery attached to an additional power source for this?

Old 05-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

If you reprogram, yes, a powerful low ripple one as Jaguar document.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi all:

Many thanks to all who contribute.

Long story short, I've had my 1999 X308 for 17 years, and have avoided any help with service, and have kept her sorted with just a generic scanner and lots of info from the forum.

Anyway, I spent a far amount of time searching, and have a question after successfully loading IDS DVD V125-- I'm at the point where I have entered my VIN, and, I’m hoping, all I need is the cable.

Question is: Which one?

I found SB 1-242NAS2 (J2534 Vehicle Communication Interface Device Update), but I’ve reached a dead-end on which J2534 will work. Some choices are:

MongoosePro JLR (and cloned)
Rotunda VCM
British Diagnostics
jlridssddmongoose.com (also in the UK)

I think the latter two just sell the clones... which I have found in China as "V160 JLR Pro" or similar... The difference is, the UK companies say theirs work with the X308, while the China versions say only for 2005 and later??? I think the difference is that the China versions come with V157 or higher software.

I guess I'm a little late to the party and the world has moved on from VCM 1... And, I haven't yet found any "vintage" used equipment either...

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Finally, Price is a consideration. I'm well aware that if I see my 23 year old Jag in any movie made in the last 20 years... it's going to get wrecked!

Regards... Mark

Last edited by mcypert; 12-29-2022 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:13 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Yes, the last two are clones. I have experience with britishautodiagnostics. Seemed to last me about 6 months and then it went dead.

They were helpful in getting the equipment working, but once I confirmed it worked, there was no more support after that. Not even a response when I started having problems with the device months later.

You might come across a real Mongoose cable on eBay, but the clones should work, albeit for a little while. The Mongoose is likely to be less expensive than a real VCM, which also have plenty of clones...

I wonder if the Genrad 500 or 510 will do what you want it to...

The following users liked this post:
mcypert (01-05-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,040 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by mcypert
Hi all:

Many thanks to all who contribute.

I guess I'm a little late to the party and the world has moved on from VCM 1... And, I haven't yet found any "vintage" used equipment either...

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Finally, Price is a consideration. I'm well aware that if I see my 23 year old Jag in any movie made in the last 20 years... it's going to get wrecked!

Regards... Mark
gna600 on ebay right now

470 with best offer

mcypert (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 01:36 AM

Thanks Guys:

I searched "GNA 600" on ebay, and only got this:

Honda Mechanic Teradyne GNA600 Diagnostic Interface Module SCANNER- C $600

Is that it? Too rich for me either way...

In the meantime-- rightly or wrongly-- I ordered a Ford VCM for China for $17. Will be here in a couple of weeks. I have no idea if that will work, but I thought it was worth a try.

My reasoning, for trying the Ford VCM, is:

1. Cheap-- like throwaway cheap...;
2. When I run the SDD V125 and enter my VIN, it directs me to IDS, which clearly says Ford Motor Company powered;
3. The Chinese VCM ad says it works on 1996-2010 Fords, and Mazda and a few other brands, and "it is the mini version of ford vcm ids" according to the ad;
4. The clones that claim to work on Jaguar MY 1999 are over $100 USD, and reviews here on the forum are mixed at best; and
5. I loaded a fresh copy of XP Pro on a new HDD on an old Dell with the V125, and the China Ford VCM says only for XP, while other clones say, for Windows 7 ??? (the only version of Windows I don't have-- Windows 7 that is)-- I figure the older the tech, the better!

So, I've postponed my search for the correct cable until I try the Ford VCM. I'll be sure to post if I succeed with it...

And, now another question:

The Ford clone comes with a cd with drivers. Do I need JLR drivers for the cable? (Remember, I'm up and running with JLR V125 and the Ford IDS; all I need is the connection.)

If so, anyone know where to get them. i.e. JLR drivers for a Ford cable?

Many thanks... Mark

Old 01-05-2023, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Don't know why the interface cable would care or even know what version of Windows your running?
SDD it what determines that. I am running Win7 Pro 64 bit on a dedicated laptop ( Pretty much ONLY SDD too-I have learned my lesson!) but others have used XP, Win7, Win10, Win11 and virtual machines on PC and MAC's.

Yes remember that Ford owned Jaguar and they were integrated into Ford's diagnostic service system. First we had WDS--->IDS--->SDD and now we are into Pathfinder software. As you found out the software will automatically identify the car and which system it needs. I run SDD 163.xxx and it drops back to IDS when I connect an older car that requires it.

Again we are trying to keep the SDD stuff in the existing threads because of the size of the subject? Also there are some related threads at the bottom of this thread that have more SDD info if your interested?

You probably need the Drew Tech. drivers and they come in 32 and 64 bit versions. Do you have these? I am not sure as I use a clone Mangoose and not the VCM and that does need the Drew Tech drivers.
What does the VCM require for drivers in SDD?

mcypert (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Don't know why the interface cable would care or even know what version of Windows your running?
SDD it what determines that. I am running Win7 Pro 64 bit on a dedicated laptop ( Pretty much ONLY SDD too-I have learned my lesson!) but others have used XP, Win7, Win10, Win11 and virtual machines on PC and MAC's.

Yes remember that Ford owned Jaguar and they were integrated into Ford's diagnostic service system. First we had WDS--->IDS--->SDD and now we are into Pathfinder software. As you found out the software will automatically identify the car and which system it needs. I run SDD 163.xxx and it drops back to IDS when I connect an older car that requires it.

Again we are trying to keep the SDD stuff in the existing threads because of the size of the subject? Also there are some related threads at the bottom of this thread that have more SDD info if your interested?

You probably need the Drew Tech. drivers and they come in 32 and 64 bit versions. Do you have these? I am not sure as I use a clone Mangoose and not the VCM and that does need the Drew Tech drivers.
What does the VCM require for drivers in SDD?

The ad on ebay for the Ford VCM says it will only work with XP. And, IIRC, V125 will only work on XP Pro, and doesn't work with XP Home, for example. So, I don't know why the cable would care, other than what the ad says.

Also, the Ford "VCM" is just the head unit (that plugs into the OBDII) and USB cable-- like the Mongoose Pro-- not a real VCM box.

Since I don't have it yet, I don't know if it's just plug and play, or needs some driver specific to the Jag. But, No... I don't have the Mongoose driver. So far, I haven't found them but haven't looked very hard for them...

Anyone know where to find them (the Mongoose driver that will work for V125)?

As mentioned, the Ford VCM comes with a cd with "software and drivers." So, refining my question in the previous post a bit, will Ford (IDS) drivers for the cable work with with JLR V125? I seem to recall genuine Ford or Mazda VCM's (older) will work...

Sorry, it's mostly academic at this point, as my VCM is on a slow boat from.... Either way, I'll report my findings (or ask more questions) when it gets here...

Many thanks... Mark

Old 01-06-2023, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,040 Likes on 836 Posts

that’s a bootleg cable for focom…not gonna work.

SDD only runs on j-boxes like the mongoose or on a gna600

Old 01-07-2023, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

I have both the 32 bit and 64 bit Drew Tech. drivers if you want them?
I can't upload them here as that type of file is not allowed to be uploaded.

Old 01-07-2023, 08:19 PM

Thanks all:

Xalty: Wouldn't a Ford VCM work for IDS? SDD may need a J cable, but SDD flips me to IDS after I enter the VIN, and then IDS asks for a connection. I know, I'm taking a shot in the dark and hope I hit something...

clubairth1: Yes, thank you. I'd like to get the Drew Tech drivers for 32 bit. I'll PM you my email.

I found this on the Drew Tech site: J2534_MongooseProFord_v1.1.10.msi

It's a .msi file (Windows Installer Package), so I don't think it will help... Also, didn't see anything for Jag or JLR on the Drew Tech site.

I'm a little foggy about what I've read so far, but I seem to recall someone said to get the first Mongoose JLR and not the MongoosePro JLR??? I kind of doubt the Mongoose drivers will work with the Ford VCM, but I'd like to have them when my China cable arrives. Again, my X308 is a 1999, and there seems to be a small window on what will work-- somewhere in no-mans-land between Ford and JLR ownership.... (Interestingly, the only Ford part I've ever found on my car is the power windows controller in the driver's door-- stamped with the Ford oval. But, IDS is clearly Ford and IDS has all the right specs for my VIN...)

Many Thanks and Regards... Mark

Old 01-08-2023, 03:36 AM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts
Default SDD V125 and other versions.

Hi all, I now have all this for sale with working lead. It can be a bit fiddly to get it all loaded but I got mine working and communicating with my 2004 s type, and a 1998 xk8 where it automatically reverted to IDS.
I'm based in the UK, you will need a laptop with xp to run it.

If interested please contact me. I have cd/usb all with dirrent versions from V125 onwards to be sold with Mangoose cable.

Regards Melvin

Old 01-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

I have posted this before but my SDD 163.xxx drops back fine to IDS with an early car?
Here are some screen shots when I typed in a 2001 S Type because I did not have access to the car.

SDD Screen Shots

He was having the same problem but he never came back to say if he ever hooked his car up to see what SDD would do?
I think the drivers you have would work and I don't know what the differences are. Mine are labeled MongoosePro?

Old 01-08-2023, 08:19 PM

Thanks again guys:

Melvin: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I can't get there with what I have ordered.

clubairth1: Sent you another PM....Thanks...

I looked at your screen shots and that's what I'm getting on V125. Again, I've read so much about it, I'm now fuzzy on what is known to work, but, I think, the 1998-99 X308's are very limited-- as far as the cable and software. I think, however, I'm on the right path-- albeit probably headed for a U-turn or two...

Either way, I'll post the result when I figure it out.

Regards... Mark

Old 01-17-2023, 10:42 PM

Update:

To recap, I have the V125 software loaded on an old Dell with XP Pro. I ordered a Ford VCM cable, pictured in post # 32.

The Ford VCM didn’t work, or, at least, I haven’t been able to make it work. It tries to “communicate” but fails. Interestingly, the Focom software has a “OBDII locator” (pic) for Ford, Jaguar and Mazda! But it says, “No DTC selected” when I click on “Jaguar” to view the image…. So, the Ford software, I think, cannot communicate with the Jag… I cancelled “auto scan” when it started looking for ECM’s (fear of accidentally bricking something).

So, I ordered a “Mangoose” cable from China… and, will have to wait another few weeks for it. The subject Jag is a 1999 XJ8, and I’ve heard mixed reviews on whether Mongoose will work on a 1999. Even the Mangoose ad says not for pre-2005, but I’m assuming that’s because of the software provided, and not a limitation of the cable…

I’ll update in a few weeks… mostly just a curiosity to me at this point as I waste $$ on cables that don’t work… But, again, many thanks to all contributors.

Regards… Mark

Old 01-18-2023, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Good progress and yes I would not expect the Ford version to work. I sent you the cable differences and the Ford version is missing some addition wires. But it is VERY close as you can see. I wondered if you could make the proper cable but don't think so as there is a circuit board at the end of the Mangoose it's not just a cable.
For completeness here is the cable chart;

That chart has some weird stuff on it too? Some are easy to figure out like power and ground and CAN bus stuff. What the heck is ROSCO or FEPS?

mcypert (01-18-2023)

Quick Reply: SDD V125 Software