General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

top tier gasolines - a synopsis

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Post top tier gasolines - a synopsis

This post is aimed at having a local canonical reference point for members to use when they are answering posts if their fingers are not up to the task of once again explaining that there are differences in gasoline brands as delivered at the retail pump. The argument that pure gasoline does not vary in quality is specious because pure gasoline is not what is delivered at the retail pump, and it is not what most drivers mean when they use the term "gasoline".

Over the past several years, the minimum level of detergent additive required by the EPA has declined by an estimated 50%.
First, the official site:

Top Tier Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.
... a key page:

Top Tier Gasoline

This technical document describes the deposit control performance of unleaded gasoline at the retail level that minimizes deposits on fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers. These standards comprise the requirements for TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
... the faq (there is a strong inference that the program is led by GM):

Top Tier Gasoline

Proof of involvement by General Motors through a internet whois domain name query:

Domain Name: toptiergas.com

Created on..............: Wed, Jun 16, 2004
Expires on..............: Sun, Jun 16, 2013
Record last updated on..: Wed, Jul 18, 2012

Administrative Contact:
General Motors LLC
Domain Administrator
300 Renaissance Center Mail Code 482-C23-B21
Detroit, MI 48265
US
A press release from Lubrizol:

Lubrizol fuel additives meet current TOP TIER

As the gasoline quality debate generally goes along the lines of "Costco is just as good as any other gas", read the Costco response of 2008 to a formal query about top tier gasoline:

Costco Response to Top Tier Gasoline Inquiry - AudiWorld Forums

Notice how they dance around the matter and finally come up with these two gems:

If you remain concerned about fuel deposits, Costco sells a four-pack of Chevron's Proguard fuel injector cleaner in our warehouses
Again, all Costco fuel contains detergent additives sufficient to meet the government standards.
Anyone reading their response would quite rightly understand that adding fuel injector cleaner was not the reason for the query, and that "meeting government standards" was also not the subject of the query. They either do or do not qualify for a top tier gasoline retailer designation.

The top tier gasoline site lists all current retailers who have passed the tests. You can be sure that in a highly competitive market, any retailer who have passed the tests would insist on having their name added to the list. The list is as follows as of today:

Top Tier Gasoline

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

USA

76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Canada

Chevron Canada
Esso
Petro-Canada
Shell Canada
Notice that as of 2013, despite the stated intention of Costco to "investigate" and "study" the matter, they have as yet to qualify on the top tier gasoline listing. It is not as if the list is solely limited to the seven sisters to the exclusion of smaller entitities. Note the presence of Holiday Stationstores, Inc. despite the absence of Costco. So, it cannot be for lack of ability to pay, or exclusionary practices.

scope of followup posts

This thread is serves only to substantiate the existence of differences in gasoline quality as made available for retail sale at retail gas stations. Octane or other considerations such as the inclusion or exclusion of ethanol are specifically out of scope. Those topics can be discussed in a separate thread.

If you find the linked information credible please consider clicking the thank you button as a hint to future readers.

++

The following 4 users liked this post by plums:
RetroXK (03-31-2013), reyesl (03-31-2013), sklimii (03-31-2013), Tirefriar (03-31-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
T

As the gasoline quality debate generally goes along the lines of "Costco is just as good as any other gas", read the Costco response of 2008 to a formal query about top tier gasoline:

Costco Response to Top Tier Gasoline Inquiry - AudiWorld Forums

Also from the link you posted above:

AudiWorld Forums - View Single Post - Costco Response to Top Tier Gasoline Inquiry

posted 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM

"This thread is now very dated, as Costco Wholesale embarked on a program to blend their additive package at each Warehouse location serving up fuel. This permits meeting the higher standards, and delivering a consistent fuel mix across all markets where the equipment has been installed."

Followed by:

"http://forums.audiworld.com/showpost.php?p=24355702&postcount=7"

"Holy thread necro.... Yeah the information is old, the posts are 4 years old!
"

So for your thread to be of any value, here is info (May 30,2013) from the current Costco website:

Costco Gasoline

"Since 1995, all gasoline sold in the U.S. must include an EPA-approved detergent additive. All Costco gas has always contained these additives. Costco gas stations are well maintained and our fuel has always been 100% guaranteed.

[snipped ... the entire advertising blurb has already been posted on JF - plums]

Note the specific mention of their adding 5 times the EPA detergent requirement.

Also from their FAQs:

Gasoline Question and Answer

: How does Costco assure their gasoline is high quality? A: Since gasoline formulations are specified by government standards, base gasoline is a fungible commodity with little difference between brands.

There are two aspects of fuel quality that depend on the gasoline brand and the individual retailer: detergent additives and station maintenance.

Detergent additives
Since 1995, Federal regulations mandate that all gasoline contain an EPA-approved detergent additive. These additives are designed to minimize engine deposits that can affect vehicle performance and emissions. The various proprietary detergent additive formulations are the main difference between brands of gasoline. All Costco gasoline, both regular and premium unleaded, contains detergent additives.

[snipped ... yes they probably use filters - plums]

Other points of relevance:

Note also the LACK of participating chains in Canada on the Top Tier list. I would guess that this represents possibly 1/3 of the brands we have (I've never heard of Chevron Canada) which infers that a large number of cars here drive around on non-Top Tier fuels. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a difference in reliability and durability of our cars VS. the US.

In discussing the who's-who of the list, note that Jaguar does not appear to stand alongside their fellow OEMs by endorsing or requiring these fuels, nor does their former parent company Ford. Being that sign up money would not be the issue, I wonder if Ford/Jaguar either believes the whole Top Tier scheme is the simply latest marketing spin, or they just build better motorcars that are not quite so fuel sensitive?

I'd like to believe the latter so that I'm not forced to seek out fuel from certain retailers that may not be convenient to me.

Last edited by plums; 03-31-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: no need to reproduce complete marketing materials already posted on JF
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Also from the link you posted above:
AudiWorld Forums - View Single Post - Costco Response to Top Tier Gasoline Inquiry

posted 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
"This thread is now very dated, as Costco Wholesale embarked on a program to blend their additive package at each Warehouse location serving up fuel. This permits meeting the higher standards, and delivering a consistent fuel mix across all markets where the equipment has been installed."

Followed by:
"http://forums.audiworld.com/showpost.php?p=24355702&postcount=7"

"Holy thread necro.... Yeah the information is old, the posts are 4 years old! "
I linked to the entire thread having read the entire thread including the posts you quote. I am well aware of the time span covered. Neither of those followups detract from the main thrust that Costco was being evasive. The last quote has the strong odor of a Costco marketing flack patrolling posts about Costco. Companies pay very well for the internet equivalent of press clipping services so that they are alerted to the need to go to certain sites and shape the message. The posters have a post count of 12 and 22 respectively.

So for your thread to be of any value, here is info (May 30,2013) from the current Costco website:

Costco Gasoline

Note the specific mention of their adding 5 times the EPA detergent requirement.
AND EXACTLY ZERO MENTION OF TOP TIER
that's right ... ZERO mention of top tier in a full text search of the Costco statement

They may have 5 times the EPA detergent requirements, but here is what the top tier gas faq has to say about that directly:

Can I advertise that I am better than TT if I use 5x the EPA detergent concentration?

"Better” is a relative term. The TOP TIER program is not just about a high detergency rate. It is about an engine cleanliness and performance specification. If a fuel marketer completes all of the engine and fuel injector testing required in the TOP TIER program and passes, then they can obtain a TOP TIER license agreement and be in the program.
In the faq at #6, the estimate for the cost of the testing is $25-$30K. So, it can't be the money that is getting in the way. Especially as it is paid for by the "detergent additiive company" and not the additive customer. However, it also contains this interesting statement:
Once they have a Pass, they inform their fuel marketing customers of the detergency treat rate required to be in the TOP TIER program. It is then up to the fuel marketers to decide if they want to treat their gasoline at the prescribed detergency treat rate.
A sensible inference would be that the treat rate is under the prescribed detergency treat rate, or the particular detergent is not an approved detergent under the program.

The technical requirements of the programme are performance based and quite rigorous:

Top Tier Gasoline

It is not based on any specific amount of detergent.

And, it is aimed at a specific goal as found in the faq at #4:

If I already use a high detergency rate, why can’t I just say I’m TT?

The TOP TIER program is not just about a high detergency rate. It is about an engine cleanliness and performance specification. If a fuel marketer completes all of the engine and fuel injector testing required in the TOP TIER program and passes, then they can claim to be TOP TIER.
Note also the LACK of participating chains in Canada on the Top Tier list. I would guess that this represents possibly 1/3 of the brands we have (I've never heard of Chevron Canada) which infers that a large number of cars here drive around on non-Top Tier fuels.
It infers nothing of the sort. The list includes *all* of the major national brands in Canada. The other larger regional players in addition to Chevron, are probably Irving Oil in the Maritimes and Eagle. Any of the members from Canada can confirm this as fact.

In discussing the who's-who of the list, note that Jaguar does not appear to stand alongside their fellow OEMs by endorsing or requiring these fuels, nor does their former parent company Ford. Being that sign up money would not be the issue, I wonder if Ford/Jaguar either believes the whole Top Tier scheme is the simply latest marketing spin, or they just build better motorcars that are not quite so fuel sensitive?

I'd like to believe the latter so that I'm not forced to seek out fuel from certain retailers that may not be convenient to me.
There is no point in speculating what reason Ford/Jaguar might have for not joining the program. Perhaps they just do not see a need to spend money when someone else is going to get the desired result for them.

No one is forcing you to seek out fuel of any particular brand or quality. If you want to believe that Ford/Jaguar has some insurmountable engineering lead within the industry, you can do that too.

However convenience ought not be a barrier as at your stated location Esso, Petro Canada and Shell are all available. That would be 3 out of 3 of the major national players. All of whom appear on the top tier list. However if you insist on Costco, you will need to burn a lot of gas just to get there.

And speaking of Costco ... this thread is not about Costco. It is about the fact that there is a qualitative difference in automotive fuel as pumped from the nozzle at the retail point of sale.

The original post and this post have each taken several hours to write. This one longer than the first. They are an investment in that it is hoped the quality of the information and presentation is such that the effort does not have to be repeated ad nauseum in multiple posts each time the subject comes up. Veteran JF members helping new members can simply refer to this thread if the need arises and save themselves a whole bunch of typing.

Therefore, rebuttals and additions should be based on fact. Future readers will be quick to sense when posts are made that attempt to skirt the facts or employ red herrings as diversionary tactics. Especially if they are interested enough to actually get this far.

ps.
The detergent used by Costco is said to be Utrazol 9888, manufactured by Lubrizol. No special inference should be made from the association with Lubrizol because the company makes a *lot* of forumulations. Not all are approved under the top tier programme. The chemical makeup of the nearest registration number 9888C is nothing special:

(according to NC state employees, this is the winter formulation)

Xylene 1330-20-7 26.9% N/E
Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 6.7% IARC Suspect Carcinogen
Petroleum naphtha 64742-94-5 From 5 to 9.9 percent N/E
Polyether amine Confidential. From 1 to 4.9 percent N/E
Naphthalene 91-20-3 0.6% IARC Suspect Carcinogen NTP Carcinogen

Just a whole bunch of solvents.

And despite the claim of EPA approval ... it is not listed on the EPA site:

List of Certified Detergent Additives | List of Registered Fuels and Fuel Additives | Fuels and Fuel Additives | US EPA

Furthermore, the Costco plan is to have the detergent directly added at the Costco location using on-site storage tanks and metered by the Costco gas attendants. This information is drawn from presentations made to CARB by Costco consultants.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I see you've edited out content from my post that I believe essential in showing the other side of the coin and educational to the new members you wish to guide. That's a privilege you have as a moderator and quite useful for ensuring that there's no level playing field.

Good luck with your witch hunt, I'm out.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Mikey, I believe the whole conversation began with a member discussing his car's poor performance after using Costco gas. Another member, Danielsand who has experience in gasoline retail has provided very interesting details on the discrepancies in self-regulation within the gasoline retail industry. I too wondered how was it that gas prices at Costco and other super market chain convenience stations could be so low. Part of it is that gasoline sales is not the primary revenue source for these entities, rather the value is being placed on customer convenience and one-stop shopping. But the fact remains that many people have experienced negative effect of "bargain" gasoline.

My 2011 BMW 3 series is a lease and ultimately will end going back to BMW Financial so I go for the least expensive gas I can get. The rest of my fleet including an XJR, an Alfa Spider and 2 Beemers get premium grade gas from either Mobil or Chevron.

I do respect your view on this topic.