General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Tranny Problems

That is not information that is going to be given out.
Call customer relations back and demand that they have your regional manager call you back.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Mate, I feel your pain!

My wife & I had a transmission flush done on our '98 XJ8 two years ago as a preventive maintenance measure. We thought it was a good idea. Jiffy Lube seemed to know what they were doing however, failed to put Jaguar-specific transmission fluid in and thus, cause a catastrophic failure of out tranny about eleven months later. After my personal mechanic (Jag certified), as well as our local Jaguar Dealershiplet jiffy Lube know that usinganything less then Jag transmission fluid could cause this type of failure, they gave in and had our transmission re-built (to Jag Specs!) at a cost of nearly $4,000.

Jiffy Lube also learned that Jag transmissions are "lubricated for life," in other words, they're "sealed" and shouldn't need even so much as a fluid level check - which only a Jag Tech can do anyway!

FYI: The original cost of the Jiffy Lube flush was $175. Royal Jaguar of Tucson charges over $2,000 for a flush. The fluid costs nearly $100/gt. and the tranny takes 10 qts., which they flush twice.

Neadless to say, Jiffy Lube has reconsidered their Jag transmission flush policy, as well as their fee schedule for same.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Any idea what type of Tranny fluid was used?..I bet it was some standard Dexron III..which will certainly toast a Jag's tranny....

BTW..I've heard so many horror stories about Jiffy lube..I wouldn't trust them with my lawnmower[&:]

1033] Lynn in Anchorage, AK Mortified Customer
A while back I went to the Jiffy Lube on Tudor Rd. in anchorage, AK. Imagine my surprise when one of the people there started swearing at one of the workers. The guy he was yelling at was very embarrassed. Even motioned to me the, customer. My husband likes it there but I would never go again. That is until my husband told me to. So back I go and guess what happened. Yep….same guy swearing at another guy down below my truck. Went something like this
“God D+++ it I didn’t ask what time you go off, I asked you how late you would work.†Someone said I have plans after work. Then (I asked and was told the swearing man is Nate, THE MANAGER!) he told the guy below he was writing him up for insubordination. Considering this was the second time in less then six months I heard the MANAGER swearing at a co-worker, I am surprised they haven’t been sued. Maybe that’s what it will take to get a RUDE MANAGER to act like one instead of a thug.
I don’t care how much my husband likes their service I refuse to go back!
[1032] Mark News Report Tells All
I saw this news report. It clearly shows what goes on at your stores, A successful foundation of service too customers is built one customer at a time, If I do not get an answer explaining this...you will loose one more. I will tell my children and family...that is how companies go under...or succeed .
[1031] David in Memphis, TN Over-Filling via Vending Pump
I have not seen thesecomplaints listed, so I thought I would share why it will be cold day in hell before I return to JL. First, they do not calibrate their oil vending pump heads. Mine was over-filled twice by 3/4 a qt. when I started making them measure the oil in a plastic, incrementally marked jug. Secondly, their lube machine pumps are down so often that they will be out of service for months at a time. That is based on employees telling me they haven't worked in a couple of months. How many customers are ripped off thinking they are getting their chassis components greased when it is not being done. Lastly, I think I observed the pit technician re-using my old oil filter after draining it, but I can't swear to that issue.
Primary offender location is on Mt. MoriahRD in Memphis, TN.
[1030] Adam in Spokane, WA Unprofessional, Rude & Sarcastic
I went to Jiffy Lube in Spokane, WA located at 7320 N. Division on March 27, 2008 for a routine oil change. The technician observed a small rock chip in my windshield, and offered to fix it and bill it to my insurance. I agreed. Later, the tech told me I am due for new oil in both differentials, to which I agreed as well. The service was complete in a less-than-Jiffy 25 minutes, and I left.
As I pulled my car out, I noticed that the windshield repair was not complete, as a plastic square was still adhered to my glass. I assumed that the plastic was there to cover the repair as it dried, and decided to drive home. When I got home, the car smelled terrible. My entire garage was filled with a super disgusting odor. As I opened the hood to see what it was (smelled like burning plastic) my phone rang. It was Jiffy Lube, calling me back so they could finish the glass repair!!! ( The tech said they “forgot to scrape the glass…)
I returned to the store, and the techs made me wait ten minutes before getting my car into a bay. I explained the terrible smell, and they wrote it off as “excess differential fluid burning offâ€. After I got inside the store, I watched the techs as they opened my hood, and one tech was doing something from under the car, in the pit. I couldn’t make out what was going on, but suddenly I saw a large amount of fluids pouring out of my car. I rushed out and asked the four “mechanics†what they were doing, and they all refused to answer me. I asked again, and one guy asked me what I was talking about. I told them what I saw, and again nobody seemed to have an answer. One tech spoke up and said that it was just wiper fluid pouring out under my car, as he spilled some while filling the reservoir. I politely reminded all of them that I was back JUST to have my windshield repair finished, and I never authorized any further service. In addition, the fluid was draining from the opposite side of my car from where the wiper fluid reservoir is located. And thirdly, I’ve refilled wiper fluid many, many times, and never once have I spilled an entire liter of it, and I’m not even a “trained mechanicâ€!!
At this point, one tech began to argue, so much that another mechanic stepped in and asked him to leave the area. I told them to close my hood and move, because I am taking my car now. They refused, and the tech under my car began doing more stuff under my car!! He said he noticed a loose skid plate, and took the liberty of removing a screw from another location in my car to secure it. I got into my car at this point and drove it out of the bay.
My car has continued to smell like burning plastic for 4 days. Today, April 1, 2008, I spoke to the manager, John, told him I was still having issues, and asked for a printout of my invoice, because I had lost mine. I went to the store to pick it up, and was immediately interrogated by him. He was unprofessional, rude, and sarcastic. I politely asked for the invoice, and he gave it to me. He said he’d like to take a look at my car, and I replied that nobody here would ever touch my car again. As I walked out, John yelled “I won’t pay for anything!! Any mechanic bills you get, I refuse to pay!!†I responded that I had never asked him to pay for anything. He told me that it was all written in the warranty for which I signed, stating that they are not liable for any damages I may have incurred. I asked for a copy of the warranty. He refused to produce one. I saw one behind the counter, asked for it, and he refused to give it to me. I asked for a photocopy of it, and he was unable to operate the fax machine properly. I asked John for his manager’s name, and he refused to give it to me. I asked for a phone number, and he finally gave me one for a man named Eric. 509-475-7956. I have since left Eric 2 messages, still awaiting response. My next step is a REAL MECHANIC.
My suspicion is that perhaps the wrong fluid was put into my differentials, and they were rushing to resolve that. I highly doubt that Jiffy Lube would call me at home and ask me to return simply because some epoxy wasn’t scraped off my windshield.
I am completely finished with Jiffy Lube, AND I WILL TELL EVERY FRIEND AND RELATIVE I KNOW ABOUT MY TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY. The only thing which would correct this issue, assuming that no permanent damage was done when they messed up whatever they messed up, is a complete refund for the "service" provided to me on March 27th, 2008, totalling $172.00.
[1029] Marci Another Fuel Filter In 3 Days
I usually get my oil changed at the dealership, but had little time, so decided to give Jiffy Lube a try and will never make this mistake again.&

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Dennis -

Jiffy Lube used Pennzoil LT71141 as the ATF, and then added what theysaid wasa"synthetic highly friction modified transmission fluid suppliment" called Mighty VS7 ATF Converter - Mercon V. The machine they used was called a Transmission Fluid Flush System - ATS 300.

It was heart breaking to be without the Big Cat for nearly six weeks as JL shipped the tranny to a transmission shop in Scottsdale for a total re-build at a cost to JL of nearly $4,000. Needless to say, we don't use JL anymore!

Ron & Andrea
Tucson, AZ.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, All.
New to forum, and Jag.
Somewhat of a mechanic, old school, so probs w/the new-fangled cars r a little over my head. Gimme a good ol' 350 and I can build it w/my eyes closed. As 4 the '98 xj8---welllllll, thats a different story.
'Nuff said.
When the tran goes into 5 and tries 2 go in2 o.d., (I guess) there's a rattle going on and the tran seems to try searching 4 a gear. It's not bad, YET, but annoying. It seems 2 stick in o.d. at speed, it's just lower speeds.
Any help from all u Jag afficianodoes out there?
Thanx, all
smagl1

Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM

My '98 XJ8 tranny went out because of a Jiffy Lube transmission flush. It ended up costing the > $4,000 for a re-build, which probably equates to well over $8,000 for a newJag-spec. tranny. Anyway, see if FactoryJaguarTech or Jag_Genius (both on this forum) can help you out. They're both top-notch and know what they're talking about. Good luck.

BTW: If your tranny does go out on you, it'll shift (literally) into what's called a "limp home" mode, which is 5th gear in the '98 XJ8. Exactly what my Cat did for me. It aint pretty, but it's damned effective.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Can you please be more specific with the gears you are talking about? Gears are 1-5 with 5 being I guess what you would call overdrive. Just easier if you use gear numbers. Is it a problem from 4-5? Light throttle, heavy acceleration?
Happy to help? Just need more info please.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:00 AM

"life" meaning life of the fluid not life for ever, i have done them in the past with out any probs i cant remember what fluid it is but there is expensive correct fluid for it and if your jag's trans starts playing up get it looked at becuase it only gets worse and more expensive.

We have had quite a few "mechanical" problems with all the newer jag gearbox's.

Please dont use just anyone to fix your jag, tho i dont mind becuase it gives me more work

Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, JagTech,
I guess U were replying to me asking 'bout the gears.
When the tran shifts from 4-5 at lower speeds, it has a rattle-grind sound and doesn't seem to want to stay in gear. Sorta shifts in and out quickly. Heavier acceleration doesn't seem to bother it. It sihfts well thru all the gears.
I put regular gas in it at the recommendation of the guy I bought it from. Would that have anthing to do w/it?
Thanx for ur help.
Steve [&:]

Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 AM

I would not recommend premium gas in ANY car letalone a Jag.
I doubt it has anything to do with your shifting concerns though. Likely the trans is going bad internally. When you accelerate harder, it builds up more pressure in the trans which overcomes the rattle.
I normally dont recommend flushing the trans, but when it comes to the point where you are going to replace it......and you have committed to spending the money, try flushing it first. See what happens. I just wouldnt do it before you are ready to replace it,

Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM

We had our '98 XJ8 tranny flushed a year ago at Jiffy Lube. The idiots put the wrong fluid in and it trashed the transmission in less then 11 months. The Techs at Royal Jaguar here in Tucson were actually suprised it lasted that long. Anyway, Jiffy Lube ended up having to get our tranny re-built at a cost (to them)of nearly $4,000. Neadless to say, Jiffy Lube is off limits to our Big Cat.