General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission fault/ aftermarket radio install

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fault/ aftermarket radio install

I have a 2004 X-type 3.0L automatic. I removed the center control panel to install an aftermarket head unit in the car. After wiring in the adaptor to the Boss head unit and the module to retain steering wheel controls, new head unit lit up, started its boot sequence, then went black. If I plug in the factory radio, it will still turn on and play music.

I have not been able to get the new head unit to power back up. Also, after re-installing the old radio, climate, hazard light switch and seat heater switches; I am Intermittently getting "transmission fault" on the information display, as well as the red security light on soild on the console. Did I somehow put the car into theft prevention mode? The car did not attempt to crank the starter, nor was i able to shift out of park. I doubt its a physical fault as I just drove the vehicle into the garage.

I removed the battery cables for a few minutes then put them back on. The red security light disappeared and the car will now crank, but no start. The transmission fault message still displays Intermittently.

Any information on what I can do to get the car started again will be appreciated. Also, any other tips for installing an aftermarket head unit with steering wheel controls in this specific vehicle without disturbing the CAN system

Old 12-30-2023, 10:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

kemblea99, from the sounds of things, you have damaged the pin for the CAN bus. This is what sends signals between the ECU and the TCM and the instrument cluster. This wlll give you all sorts of fault codes and not allow the car to sense if the correct key is installed (ie, the security light). If you need me to go into more detail about which pin is for the CAN bus, then let me know.