I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New I-Pace owner questions: spare tire, wireless carplay, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New I-Pace owner questions: spare tire, wireless carplay, etc.

New HSE owner. Will post some photos if anyone wants to see. Corris gray/red interior/carbon fiber.

So far love the ride, no problems with charging (other than occasional malfunctioning station). Some questions:

1. What to do with the spare tire? It takes up a lot of room in the trunk/cargo area. Is it ok to put groceries on top of it? Other items? If I store it in the garage, and I have a flat on the road, will Jag Road Assistance provide me with one? Temporarily or...?
2. Is there no wireless Apple CarPlay? I can't figure out how to do it if so...only the center-console USB-connected CarPlay, which puts an ugly cord there.
3. Initially I used High setting for regenerative braking..it was very very forceful, but got a lot of charging. I switched down to Low, noticed the big difference. Then switch back to High again, but it doesn't seem to be High anymore...just feels like Low. Anyone else?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:51 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

3. Any chance your forceful regeneration filled the battery, and the car's clever enough to know it doesn't need such a forceful charge at the moment?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

apple car play is only through USB
all the cars come with a flat repair kit, why did you get a spare tire?
regeneration is limited if the battery is charged, also maybe if it is cold.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 AM

CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is available over wireless on some cars (see settings in your iPhone). I guess not in I-Pace (can someone confirm?).
Spare tire: Not all flats/damaged tires can be repaired by the flat repair kit (correct??). Are people generally not buying a spare tire? And relying on Jag Roadside Assistance to provide a tire when the damage can't be repaired by the repair kit?
Regenerative Braking: It does seem like eventually the High setting kicked in again -- I'm not sure if it was because the battery needs to be below a certain level, or what....

Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

Wireless Carplay was not enabled in the I-Pace https://www.slashgear.com/jaguar-lan...dded-23551070/
I don't have a spare in either my F-Type or I-Pace. Roadside assistance will tow you to a place that can repair your car, likely the closest Jaguar Dealer. (This service largely uses the same services AAA uses and you'll note that the trucks don't have any tires on them).
I noticed this regenerative braking change after the latest patch. I'm guessing the rapid deceleration may have caused an accident someplace but that is pure speculation. I can also imagine someone testing the car might have flagged this as the speed the car suddenly slowed concerned me given how people tailgate in a lot of areas. Typically regeneration does result in more heat but I've noticed this with a fresh car and fully charged battery. Mine still seems aggressive at slow speeds, much less so at higher speeds. It could also be an unintended consequence of one of the last patches (much like the loss of the center display was in mine).

Old 01-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. Bummer about wireless CarPlay.

The tire patch kit won't fix a blowout, if it's a big one. Can we put stuff (groceries, etc.) on top of the spare in the cargo area?? Does anyone know?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Spare shouldn't be a problem with groceries, only issue is if something spills it will make it harder to clean up and the groceries, depending on how they are bagged may not sit well. But Jaguar has used this same kind of spare for decades and I've picked them up on eBay. I wouldn't put a safe on one or anything really heavy but most anything you can lift into the trunk should be fine. Just to be safe I'd make sure the valve stem was on the bottom though so it didn't catch on the bags (more likely to rip the bag than damage the stem in most cases but neither would be good).

Old 01-12-2019, 05:29 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
I noticed this regenerative braking change after the latest patch. I'm guessing the rapid deceleration may have caused an accident someplace but that is pure speculation. I can also imagine someone testing the car might have flagged this as the speed the car suddenly slowed concerned me given how people tailgate in a lot of areas.
Do the brake lights come on during regeneration? Seems a sensible idea to indicate you're slowing down.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 PM

Yes, though I haven't tested this and I've wondered about it as well, according to the Jaguar forum in Europe the brake lights do come on and they come on with Tesla's as well: https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=492

By the way it is handy to keep track of that forum as the I-Pace has been active in Europe far longer than here in the US (and with the I-Pace currently being held at ports waiting for new Air-Bags it may be a while before we get to a critical mass of I-Pace drivers here). Some of the information on what to do if you have a dead battery could be incredibly useful to one of us in the future for instance: https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=825

Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Default I-Pace AC on board charger

I wonder why JLR built the I-Pace with just a 7.2kW single phase Charger. Many other EVs come with 11kW 3 phase charger, and some offer even higher 22kW. Any comments? Is it something that can be changed, or coming?

Old 09-21-2019, 02:06 PM

I think it was because Jaguar built for what was available at the time of design and things have changed a lot since then. Theoretically, this can be upgraded but no news from Jaguar that it will be. I think when a lot of these come off lease they'll need to do something or it will be wicked hard to sell them in a couple of years. The aftermarket may eventually come through with a kit too but that'll depend on demand. So no news on this I've been yet able to find but a lot of us are watching this issue.