Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

Installing brand new block and head

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Installing brand new block and head

After sitting for over 2-years, I am finally going to get the x-type back on the road. It's a 2005 3.0 automatic that I bought new.

I found a brand new block and head, not reman, and will either be installing it with a friend or taking it to a shop. That decision will be made in the next 2-days.

Anyway, what else should I replace/order with the engine. I know I should replace the water pump and thermostat, but what else?

Being everything is out, should I be proactive and replace the a/c compressor, etc.

Thanks for any help.

I want to place 1 order with everything I am going to need.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Sounds Interesting

Originally Posted by 91stealthes
After sitting for over 2-years, I am finally going to get the x-type back on the road. It's a 2005 3.0 automatic that I bought new.

I found a brand new block and head, not reman, and will either be installing it with a friend or taking it to a shop. That decision will be made in the next 2-days.

Anyway, what else should I replace/order with the engine. I know I should replace the water pump and thermostat, but what else?

Being everything is out, should I be proactive and replace the a/c compressor, etc.

Thanks for any help.

I want to place 1 order with everything I am going to need.

Pardon me for asking, but what happened, for you to need to change the block and head(s)? two years pass?

How many miles, and does it have any service history.

Would not a complete engine change out from a scrap car be simpler, and for that matter cheaper?

Any further history details would help.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Default Ah Ha! Very interesting

Originally Posted by bydand
Pardon me for asking, but what happened, for you to need to change the block and head(s)? two years pass?

Would not a complete engine change out from a scrap car be simpler, and for that matter cheaper?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ht=91stealthes

For the benefit of others, please see the link above. Which answers post #2

Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Hi bydand,

Good work finding the old thread The noise is quite different now, as I drove it to the Jag dealer for a free service event a couple weeks ago and half-way home she started to really knock and started to squeal. I immediately pulled over and had it towed home. Strangely enough, when I run the engine now, it's just a loud knock, but no squealing.

Anyway, in regards to the complete engine change from scrapyard. I can get one for around $1600 shipped, or I could get a new block and head $2,000 shipped. So, I think the extra $400 is worth it for a unmolested engine.

Also, if I purchased a used engine, it would probably make sense to change the timing chain, and the cheapest I could find one was $315, so the brand new block and head (that comes with the chain) is actually only $85 more expensive.

Anything else you would recommend changing while it's out?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Default Squeal:.......... Like a Stuffed Pig, I bet.

Hi bydand,

Good work finding the old thread The noise is quite different now, as I drove it to the Jag dealer for a free service event a couple weeks ago and half-way home she started to really knock and started to squeal. I immediately pulled over and had it towed home. Strangely enough, when I run the engine now, it's just a loud knock, but no squealing.

Anyway, in regards to the complete engine change from scrapyard. I can get one for around $1600 shipped, or I could get a new block and head $2,000 shipped. So, I think the extra $400 is worth it for a unmolested engine.

Also, if I purchased a used engine, it would probably make sense to change the timing chain, and the cheapest I could find one was $315, so the brand new block and head (that comes with the chain) is actually only $85 more expensive.

Anything else you would recommend changing while it's out?

Hi, 91Stealthes,

I just watched (and listened) to your YouTube video,

Slight knocking??? HOLY COW!!!!!!!!

I take it you have cruised the X type board across the way, and reviewed the How To's one of which is how to remove/ install the engine by "310 jag" cracking thread. see below.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ead-faq-11225/

Does this sound familiar to you?

So what happened? I first heard a little chain rattle one cold morning. Cat sleeps outside. Rattle stopped shortly after starting motor. I said to my self cold, sluggish oil. Drove to work 12 miles. Went to lunch, temps had warmed up and still had rattle at start up. Checked oil?? Maybe a quart low. Added a quart. Drive home, rattle at start and while in park, but not while in gear. On the drive home a faint Knock began and disappeared. Checked oil. Fine, with car running and in park poured oil down spout rattle went away and no knock. Next morning, this is after approx 25 miles after hearing FIRST time rattle, The rattle was present again. I figured Chain Tensioner going out. I continued and drove to work, morning driving speed 45 to 65 stop and go traffic, about mid-way to work the knock was back but faint. That evening after work start car with rattle and now a faint knock, on the way home in drive I could hear chain rattle and rod knock but not bad. About mid-way home the ROD KNOCK was getting louder and I knew it was not good. I babied it home the last 6 miles and parked it until I could do the repairs. Here's what I found.

see thread above in the link by "310 jag"

The cause, and the cause of a few other V6 3.0ltr engine demise's, would appear to be the bottom end bearing turning. So yes the engine is trashed.

I would post back on the "X type" board, and ask across there on what your proposing and suggestions for what to check/change.

It looks a really nice car, and low mileage, a real shame.

I am not really sure by what you mean by new block and head.

Is it a fully built up engine with heads, and in two parts, Block and heads which you are going to build up??

either way,the oil ways and everything in the oil circuit on the old engine will be in a sorry state.

I assume you will have to change across all the auxiliaries to the new block.
starter
alternator
steering pump
AC compressor
tensioner

Just give them a good looking at when you take them off.
renew the belts,
clean the sensors,
and look for wear, clean up parts before refitting.

Change the transmission fluid, the diff oil, etc etc. see the section under the How To on the X type board, it is all there.
The X type will have it's own quirks, and the X type boys will help you out, if the threads are not popping up with search.

and Good Luck.

I had a look at a few X type's before going for the S type eventually, and looking at the engine thread above. Phew...........

The following users liked this post:
91stealthes (10-21-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 04:14 PM

Hi, 91Stealthes,

I just watched (and listened) to your YouTube video,

Slight knocking??? HOLY COW!!!!!!!!

that was nothing...listen to it after it started to knock and squeal.

The new engine is being installed currently.

The following users liked this post:
bydand (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Default Oh! Cute. It's doing a diesel impression

that was nothing...listen to it after it started to knock and squeal.

'05 xtype 3.0 engine noise/ticking after approximately 25 m - YouTube

The new engine is being installed currently.
Don't forget to post what a repaired engine sounds like and any feed back on the do's and dont's in changing out the engine.

Impressive thou!