Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

Project using 4.2 SC V8 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project using 4.2 SC V8 Engine

Hi All

I am going ahead with a project using the Super charged V8 Engine from an S Type R in the next few months. As a previous owner I was always impressed with the build quality and reliability of my Jag.

I am trying to gather as much infromation as possible before hand so that I minimise the problems I am going to encounter as much as as I can.

So far Xkracer has been very helpful although he won't recognise my user name on here.

I will be using an aftermarket Emerald ECU and also using a manual gearbox.

There will be many questions along the way and who knows I may be able to return any knowledge gained back to the site which other people may find useful.
I would really appreciate all the help I can get as my knowledge of this engine and set up is limited..

So onto my initial querys.

1-The electronic controlled throttle that seems to be common on these models will not work with the Emerald ECU. Do you know of a manual cable throttle that will fit to the supercharged intake from another model in the range?
All I require on this throttle will be a position sensor

2- I understand from diagrams that the charge coolers use a cooling system that is linked with the engine cooling system?
If this is correct I'm sure I could gain better cooling with a seperate system and header tank?

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Regarding question 2; the link is only to equalize pressure (and support with filling the system), so there is no gain to be had in cooling. The advantage of this system is that you only need 1 pressurized cooling tank/system, and you also take advantage of the higher pressure from the engine part, so less change of air hot spots/air bubbles in there.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I "think" it is physically possible to convert your drive-by-wire throttle body to a mechanical connection. I have seen this done in dyno tests by either Hot Rod Magazine or CarCraft (forget which) when they had to dyno a motor and did not have the drive-by-wire connection.

What they did was disassemble the little motor on the side of the throttle body so as to expose the shaft on the throttle plate. It was a bit "short", so they welded an extension shaft. Then they placed a circular plate on the end of the extended shaft, to which they attached a throttle cable. Obviously, this is a temporary solution.

A more permanent solution is to mate the mechanical linkage, etc. from an old-fashioned "wire" throttle body found in a breaker yard to your drive-by wire throttle body. This requires some creativity.

A great source for throttle body work is Maxbore.com throttle body boring and repair service, located in Florida, USA. His primary business is boring throttle bodies, which, of course, means he disassembles them in the process. I have used him on another vehicle (Hyundai Genesis RSpec 5.0 liter) with good results. His turn around time is just one day. His work is beautiful. He enlarged my throttle body bore from 82mm to 85mm. He might be able to convert your throttle body.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rey
I "think" it is physically possible to convert your drive-by-wire throttle body to a mechanical connection. I have seen this done in dyno tests by either Hot Rod Magazine or CarCraft (forget which) when they had to dyno a motor and did not have the drive-by-wire connection.

What they did was disassemble the little motor on the side of the throttle body so as to expose the shaft on the throttle plate. It was a bit "short", so they welded an extension shaft. Then they placed a circular plate on the end of the extended shaft, to which they attached a throttle cable. Obviously, this is a temporary solution.

A more permanent solution is to mate the mechanical linkage, etc. from an old-fashioned "wire" throttle body found in a breaker yard to your drive-by wire throttle body. This requires some creativity.

A great source for throttle body work is Maxbore.com throttle body boring and repair service, located in Florida, USA. His primary business is boring throttle bodies, which, of course, means he disassembles them in the process. I have used him on another vehicle (Hyundai Genesis RSpec 5.0 liter) with good results. His turn around time is just one day. His work is beautiful. He enlarged my throttle body bore from 82mm to 85mm. He might be able to convert your throttle body.
Hi, thankyou for the information. After some thought I think i am going for a universal aluminium body and make an adapter plate to fit it. This way it will be nice and somple and only have the TPS on it.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have not arranged a loom yet, I happen to have an Emerald loom for the XJ8 2004 normally aspirated, had to buy it with a replacement motor I bought a year ago whch was tested with an Emerald ECU on a dyno to see if it worked, don't know if they used a different TB because that was not fitted. If you are interested let me know..

Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by HC_CDC
If you have not arranged a loom yet, I happen to have an Emerald loom for the XJ8 2004 normally aspirated, had to buy it with a replacement motor I bought a year ago whch was tested with an Emerald ECU on a dyno to see if it worked, don't know if they used a different TB because that was not fitted. If you are interested let me know..

Thanks for the offer but I've already got this in hand..

Old 05-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Do you have an update on this please ? Looking to do something very similar.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi what you looking to do,i am on with same 4.2 v8,AJV8,with a 6 speed manual box and a stand a long ecu, in a mk2 jag,