Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

Spider CPU for 2005 S-Type 2.7D

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Bic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spider CPU for 2005 S-Type 2.7D

Hi Guys,

Has anyone fitted a Spider CPU? I remember reading about them on here a long time ago and have recently fitted one (I can't find the post anymore). I've been having problems with the car going into safe mode on kickdown. This has happened at low, medium and enhanced recommended settings on the unit.
The customer service from Spider has been excellent but after checking all connections etc. and trying an even lower setting the car is still going into safe mode when pushed hard.

They are going to send me a replacement CPU unit now but I was wondering if anyone here had had any experience with this or other 'piggy back' CPUs?

Cheers

Bic

Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Bic
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Bic

CPU has been back to the supplier who tested it and found nothing wrong. Has anyone any idea why my s-type might be going into safe mode under heavy acceleration whenever I fit the CPU at even the lower power settings?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Never heard of this spider piggyback tuner. But it is probably something like the Power Commander, used on FI motorcycles.

I came across this Indian forum:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ck-pg-2-a.html

and saw this post:

I Just got back from testing out the Spider Tuning box and yes, turbo pressure IS a problem. The performance increase is good but at 3300 rpm the Engine cuts out! The guys at Electra Automotive said that it's due to excess turbo pressure so they asked me to bring my turbo pressure back down to stock levels before the tuning box would start working well. Apparently there was also some black smoke coming out of the engine at the end of the test run (very bad for the engine I hear). The tuning box was removed and thankfully the exhaust smoke turned clear again. They said it turned black because the tuning box was combined with the increased turbo pressure. My car has just gone for its first service and as soon as it gets back I will be reverting the turbo pressure back to stock to put in the tuning box.

You might want to take a read through there.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Bic

Thanks for the link. I've been on and read the whole 9 pages of posts lol. I've just got a replacement cpu back from spider but haven't got around to fitting and testing it yet. I've got a feeling I'm going to have the same problem but fingers crossed!