Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

"Stock"?? Baseline Dyno 352 RWHP, 349 Torque

Old 06-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

OK; top fuel car CANNOT go a full mile at full speed, engine would explode!

OK; NO tire made can stand the forces,for that period of time, it would shred to pieces!

and you cant drive it on the street. its a MACHINE developed for a particular type of competion. it aint a CAR, contrary to what some believe.

and all i said was, come to the Texas Mile and have some good old redneck fun, FAST cars and lotsa stories!

Last edited by Norri; 06-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

An you did not make the rules all you said was most powerful cars have turbos .... correct? ....... and I just showed your butt that turbos nor twin screws come close to the "most powerful" tht title belongs to the wait for it hold your breath cause its a shocker ...... Yes ladies and gents its the ROOTS!!!! thank you thank you as the roots takes its award and humbly exits stage left. I didnt say anything about the dragsters going a mile mor did I say anything about their tires what I have PROVEN is roots has the title. Tht these cars do almost a 100 mph faster in a 1/4 the time than your "mighty" turbo powered GT40 and an supra do and they are powered by the very thing you say is bottom of the totum pole sorry ronbros you lose just humbly admit defeat and all will be right in the universe again. I know its not feasible for people to give credit where credit is due and have to come up with every thing in the book to try and save face ( refer to post #43 above for example ) but as you say FACTS ARE FACTS now heres some pie made it just for you, great flavor called humble LMAO

Last edited by Norri; 06-24-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

uhm IF I remember correctly PSI came out with twin screws for TopFuel and NHRA shortly thereafter outlawed them for being TOO FAST. NHRA has been putting restrictions on the fuel classes to try and slow them down for along time. even talking about shortening a qtr mile to 1000' instead of 1320' But yet I was there when Eddie Hill ran the first 4sec qtr mile in Baytown Texas in the late 80's. now theyre way past that and Alcohol classes and funny cars are where Top Fuel Used to be. If you talk to crew chiefs in the Top classes its NEVER about making more power, Its about getting down the track and getting the power to the track. For any of you that have never seen Top Fuel cars run. go to a event, it is something felt/seen/heard. Not watched on TV.

Anyway those are extremes, you cant look at numbers just on the top or highest numbers/ You have to look at avg output across the rpm range or power under the curve. Many cars that put out more power under the curve whip up on higher number cars all the time. And we're not even discussing, gearing, weight, tires, convertor torque multiplication or stall launch rpm. A car that launches just to the point of hazing the tires off the line and pull hard to redline is a joy and fun to drive on the street. This is one of the reasons Ive always liked the Stype R over the XKR for power application off the line.Jaguar just tuned the trans and engine in the XK to not fully live up to what the car is.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 193 Posts

"A car that launches just to the point of hazing the tires off the line and pull hard to redline is a joy and fun to drive on the street."

This is what I want Nothing more, Nothing less.
Oh, but I want my car to be a sleeper doing it.
The badge on the back of my car says XJ8.
A few mustang guys have cruised up behind me hoping to spank my jag, but they give up in disappointment when they see the XJ8 badge on the back and go away. At least in my current stock configuration, I don't think I would have a prayer dragging against these modified Mustangs these days, lots of those running around here are pushing 600+HP.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 06-23-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
A car that launches just to the point of hazing the tires off the line and pull hard to redline is a joy and fun to drive on the street.
Which is one of the reasons I can't believe that the R's came out of the factory with open diffs!

I had a number of big V8's back in Oz, all of them had LSD's. OK this was in the days before traction control. But nevertheless, the cars could be driven to thier potential.

As far as I'm concerned we're better off spending $1500 on an LSD before going for other mods; pulleys, exhaust, & so on. There is no point in having 400HP if you can't put every one of them onto the tarmac.

This is one of the reasons Ive always liked the Stype R over the XKR for power application off the line. Jaguar just tuned the trans and engine in the XK to not fully live up to what the car is.
That might have something to do with Aston Martin. Ford could not have allowed a Jag to be faster or better than the flagship AM's...times have changed now, hence the XKR-S.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 AM

I dont kow th factories reason open diffs, But I can tell you that ANYONE with credit and money can go out and buy a very fast and powerfull car. NOw through in that same car that can smoke the tires at will and throw in LSD/POSI and you have 2 tires spinning in the back. Now 2 rear tires with no traction is akin to driving on ice or having a "pit manuever" done on you by police when you decide to run. youre gonna swap ends quickly if you dont know how to drive, even if you do and you dont learn slowly how a new car to you handles at its limits, youll get in trouble quickly as Ive seen over the yrs with a couple newly purchased R's. Bought on Friday, sitting on the service drive monday morning with broke rims, blown tires and damages suspension. That why you leave on traction control till you know the car and your and its capabilties first.
KInda hard to get in trouble with only 1 tire spinnning, Also traction control turned off is still not totally off, it still intervens, you just dont know it and it WILL still let you get in trouble fast since thats what you asked for

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Good points Brutal, common sense stuff.

Just one question, when you say "you" do you mean me in particular or everyone?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 PM

no cambo, I only reffered to YOU when I said I like your avatar. YOU has no more relation to anyone here in particular or even in general, than saying "you people"
Keep in mind that alot of people read this stuff from members to guests. And its runs the gamut from people that These cars have WAY more power than theyre comfortable with, to those that have had WAY more in differant types of vehicles and everything in between.
And you other two are grounded, go to your rooms and dont comeout till dinner
Or Ill send you to military school with that damn Finklesteen shyt kid!!!(anyone care to remember or know THAT referance was from????)

Old 06-24-2012, 12:20 PM

No worries Brutal.

BTW it was Cheech and Chong, Up in Smoke...

Old 06-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Wow Cheech and Chong, Up in Smoke..., there is a flashback in time...

It's Dave man..

Dave's not here man

No, man, I'm Dave

Dave's not here man

Old 06-24-2012, 02:59 PM

guys may not want to be funny or play the fun police will come in and start handing out citations or try and slap some upper class swagger round. His pimp hand is strong ..... wait pimp hand seems to low class and ignorant maybe prissy hand is strong ..... wait thats an oxymoron aw well screw it

Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 PM

you guys are pretty good, thats correct. I see the 60' and 70's where alive and well around here. Cambo was Cheech and Chong around in Switzerland back then? or are ya a transplant from the states?
WD I like your thought process andd setting baselines on performance. you dont know if you dont measure and set the controls. basic scientific process

Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM

WD I like your thought process andd setting baselines on performance. you dont know if you dont measure and set the controls. basic scientific process

completely agree

Old 06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

I am hoping to contribute by ending the confusion over what gains which products really deliver

Lots of "vapoware" and snake oil being sold.

Even if the dyno I originally (and will keep using) was reading high, the A-> B ->C ->D mods gains ought to be accurate and I will do my best to check them with performance figures.

Thank you for your support.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Looks like the fun police showed up, let's keep the discussion on engine mods and save all the overflowing testosterone for when you are actually lined up against someone.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
no they could run a turbo or a twin screw but the roots they use just makes more power than is currently avaliable from either of the 2 but keep on being a fanboy there lol.

But regardless point is these are the most powerful automotive motors on the planet and they run a roots blower sorry but facts are facts LMAO.
Well I did some googling and apparently twin screws and turbos are not legal.

And I found out they recently shortened it to 1000' so it's not a 1/4 mile anymore.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Old 06-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by SteveM
Well I did some googling and apparently twin screws and turbos are not legal.

And I found out they recently shortened it to 1000' so it's not a 1/4 mile anymore.

Jesus cry babies everywhere unit who gives a hairy rats junk if its legal or not point is the roots is still the thing that powers the drags. Really all you have done is still prove my point tht the roots powered drags are still the most powerful automotive motors out there and still noone has made a 8000 horsepower turbo or twin screw motor whether legal or not but in the end it dont matter this all was just suppose to be funny.

I read they could use turbos or whatever force air induction they wanted maybe my info is outdated thank you for correcting me on that still doesnt change my point though

Last edited by XJR-0220; 06-26-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Before this thread gets closed....

Cambo was Cheech and Chong around in Switzerland back then? or are ya a transplant from the states?
Might have been, I don't know, I'm not Swiss. But Cheech & Chong were certainly known and well cool when I grew up in Australia. I'm not from your neck of the woods mate...

Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member

So in the end it appears this dyno reading was WAYYYYY off.

My car ran the 1/4 in 13.8 with no loss of traction, so the 370 factory figures are very close. If anything the car is a slight bit less than 370 flywheel HP, and certainly not 424 flywheel HP.

See my post of my 1/4 mile with time slips to follow up on this post.

I might rely on actual times more than the dynos just for the pure fun of it. Running the 1/4 is way more fun than watching a dyno WAY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Stock"?? Baseline Dyno 352 RWHP, 349 Torque