Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Any talk of an iPad app interface?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Any talk of an iPad app interface?

I know the m.jaguarforums.com site works well for my phone screen, but my tablet seems to ignore it and reverts to the main website. I find the text is too small and I have trouble hitting the right buttons. Oh the horror!

I'm also on the club touareg forum, which as far as the layout goes looks like they run on the same forum engine as this one, but they have a iPad app that I use when surfing from my couch. I can still use their browser interface if I need more functionality.

But most importantly, the icon for Club Touareg looks better than the icon for the Jaguarforums web link (see attachment). And we can't have that.

Just throwing out an idea if somebody is bored, not suggesting anyone donate hundreds of hours of unpaid coding time unless its a labor of love.

Attached Thumbnails Any talk of an iPad app interface?-image.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 AM

I may have answered one part of my question myself. When I touched the "default style" button on my iphone it went to the full web page, and then, like with my ipad, it wouldn't ever go back to the mobile-specific interface again. When I reset my cookies and deleted my history it started loading the mobile interface again. I'll try this with my ipad, and maybe it will help.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 AM

Ah, ha. I am probably breaking several rules by continuing to reply to myself, however...

I have found a handful of threads with similar concerns

here, here, and here (and I'm sure a few others).

I am surprised to find no FAQ on this subject except what seems to be vBulletin canned text under miscellaneous options:
'Forum Style' - only available if there is more than one style (or 'skin') available and the administrator has enabled this selection
I finally found the little drop-box selection at the far bottom-left corner of the website that looks like this:

The only two options that seem to work are the desktop version, called "Jaguar37", and the phone/tablet option that is called "Lightweight." Don't use the option called "Mobile theme" because it is quite buggy. Or if you do, and you get stuck as I was, you may need to clear your browser's 'cookies' to reset.

Admins, shouldn't these unstable options just be removed from the choices available?

Attached Thumbnails Any talk of an iPad app interface?-screenshot_129.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Jay, I have no idea about tablet options because I don't use one.

However, I permanently run the 'Default Style' because it shaves the forum down to the bare bones for VB.

No banners, no themes, and no 'other stuff', no icons, etc.

I have a slow connection speed, and the removal of 'things' I don't need to load not only speeds up the forum but also frees up useable space on my laptop.

Give it a go.

You need to log in and make the change from your user CP.

It will only appear when you are logged in and will revert to '37' when you are logged out.

But if you have made the change to Default then as soon as you login the forum will load as basic VB style.

You might not like the look, but it certainly makes an improvement for my forum browsing experience.

If you get stuck, sing out.

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 AM

Well look at that. Just when I thought I had tried everything! I'll try it out on the tablet later, but at first glance it looks like it might be easier to use. Thanks for the tip.

*edit - it makes a huge difference. Thanks.

Last edited by Muddydog; 02-04-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Follow-up
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Ok, trying out some options I did:

User cp
Mobile

Now whenever I log in, I get redirected to http:///forum/ which, of course is nothing.

No change after removing cookies, changing browsers etc.

When on my phone, no trouble. Phone is how I post this support message.

So, the full user CP is not available on the phone, so I can't change my preference away from Mobile preference. When on Computer, get bogus redirect after login.

Moderators help? Can reset my preferences?

Thanks
-mag

Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 PM

Ah, I see. You made the change from your User CP, under "Options", rather than from the bar at the base of your screen, as I was doing above. When you do it your way it resets your preferences on the server side, rather than within a cookie on your browser's side. When you reset it from the bar at the bottom of the screen, it sets that preference only for that browser/device and can be reset by clearing the cookies.

Do this. While on your mobile device, and logged in, enter the following address in the browser bar:

Code:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
If you can successfully navigate to this page on your phone, then you can reset your style to Jaguar37 and you are in business.

You may still have to clear your cookies on the browser as well after that.

Or a mod could just reset it for you.

Last edited by Muddydog; 02-04-2013 at 11:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Muddydog:
magmedia (02-05-2013), Translator (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Should also be able to write that link directly into a Browser address bar and go from there on a PC. You will need to be logged in of course.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Ah, I see. You made the change from your User CP, under "Options", rather than from the bar at the base of your screen, as I was doing above. When you do it your way it resets your preferences on the server side, rather than within a cookie on your browser's side. When you reset it from the bar at the bottom of the screen, it sets that preference only for that browser/device and can be reset by clearing the cookies.

Do this. While on your mobile device, and logged in, enter the following address in the browser bar:

Code:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
If you can successfully navigate to this page on your phone, then you can reset your style to Jaguar37 and you are in business.

You may still have to clear your cookies on the browser as well after that.

Or a mod could just reset it for you.
Performed this as instructed and all is well--thanks!
-mag

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

All is well I assume?

No talk of any app interface as far as I'm aware........we are where we are as it stands I believe for the moment

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (02-05-2013)