MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1965 Mk II 3.8 liter Gas Gauge Query

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 Mk II 3.8 liter Gas Gauge Query

I recently purchased a MKII. The gas gauge (electrical) functions, but does not report the correct fuel level. The previous owner put a piece of tape on the gauge glass to tell me when to refill. I replaced a float/sending unit into an XJ6 some time ago and lived to tell the tale. What do I need to replace in the MKII and what is the part description/#?

Thanks,
MB

Old 07-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Received 323 Likes on 209 Posts

On the MK2 its fairly simple, in the boot on the left hand side there is a circular metal plate that pulls out and the sender is underneath (on mine its screwed in, I assume they are all the same).

I don't have the part number for the unit but SNG Barratt website will tell you what you need, also don't forget that you will need a new gasket if the sender doesn't come with it in the box.

One thing to check though is what the fault actually is, is it the gauge, is it the sender electrical sensor, the sender arm or the float on the sender arm.

If the gauges reads low then its usually a fault with the float on the sender arm which has failed and filled or partially filled with petrol.

It sounds like the fault you are having is that the sender is reading that fuel is still in the car and the car is empty? If so then when I have had this in the past it might be that the sender arm is bent and needs straightening or it might be that the gauge is out of calibration. If you disconnect the sender wire and switch on the ignition does the sender read zero, if not then the gauge might be at fault.

If the gauge reads zero with the sender disconnected then I would remove the sender, reconnect it (making sure it has an earth) and then switch on the ignition and move the arm up and down and see what the gauge does.

I seem to recall that there are two tabs on the sender which set the high and low travel limits on the arm, if with the sender removed and the arm in the lowest position the gauge still reads that its no empty you can try bending the lower tab a bit to allow the arm a little more travel, if this works you may then needs to bend the arm up to stop it bottoming out on the tank.

It can be quite a bit of trial and error.

The following users liked this post:
StuG (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 Mk II 3.8 liter Gas Gauge Query

Thank you to Homersimpson. Your instructions were spot on. I took the unit apart to confirm that the float functioned, then opened the unit to make some adjustments. The gauge only shows 1/2 tank and the tank is full. I will order a new unit.

Thanks.

MB

Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

Check you have 10v at the gauge, to make sure the voltage regulator is working properly as the fuel gauge uses a 10 V regulated supply for it's accuracy and to stop fluctuations at low revs.