MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1967 3.8S Refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,050 Posts

The Canadians are happy. People must use what they are happy with. But because something is outside your frame of experience does not make it irrelevant. There will always be exceptions to the common finding. The transil makes sense. Why does Burlen/SU not do that OE? Burnt points are as old as the SU pumps.

BTW ~ I have Canadian/British heritage.

My post was not intended to start a pissing match. It was to give some sage advice. Once people have exhausted efforts blaming the OEM they then blame the oil company ~ hence my experience

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-11-2018 at 06:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TilleyJon (10-16-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 12:02 AM
Received 91 Likes on 35 Posts

Pretty happy day in vintage Jag-land today. Found one new fuel pump locally, so installed that and, Voila! Consistent fueling and an enjoyable 20 mile drive through town and around.

Not happy with how the hoses from tank to pump (more of that nylon line we were talking about) are securing at the top of the tank. I gather it's a compression fitting, but the line remains loose to swivel so maybe the wrong compression sleeves were used in the past. Or is it different than I think? I want them reasonable snug to ensure the pump can't suck air, and to limit fumes.

Finished up a couple of little carburetor items, and hoping to put fueling aside for a while. Time to figure out the transmission fluid leaks, hopefully without committing to pulling the transmission.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 487 Posts

Why no just use bulk regular black low pressure fuel line from an auto parts store ?
I believe it's 1/4 of an inch (with out checking).
That's what I have on mine _ I've also used some small hose clamps too, taking care not to over tighten them.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pabarlow
Pretty happy day in vintage Jag-land today. Found one new fuel pump locally, so installed that and, Voila! Consistent fueling and an enjoyable 20 mile drive through town and around.

Not happy with how the hoses from tank to pump (more of that nylon line we were talking about) are securing at the top of the tank. I gather it's a compression fitting, but the line remains loose to swivel so maybe the wrong compression sleeves were used in the past. Or is it different than I think? I want them reasonable snug to ensure the pump can't suck air, and to limit fumes.

Finished up a couple of little carburetor items, and hoping to put fueling aside for a while. Time to figure out the transmission fluid leaks, hopefully without committing to pulling the transmission.
Great news ~ some of the original nylon pipework had little black polymer? ferrules shrunk onto it. We substituted little brass ferrules of the correct size and the joints are all tight & leak free. I'm sure they are obtainable in many sizes your end. This was done on new OE nylon pipe we had and is still in place. The pipe I replaced with black hose is from the pumps (banjo) to the metal pipe splitter that goes over the wheelarches, joins the two pumps & tanks and connects to the front metal fuel pipe that runs down the Chassis rail to the engine compartment. (picture of alcohol split hose below)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-12-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

plumbing seals! haha!

Glyn, there is a water drain pipe for the cowl vent on the firewall.

connecting to it is a 90 degree hose facing the ground wiith a membrane seal at the end of the hose which opens with the weight of water, then it closes after water is emptied.

can't find it in the Parts Manual. All Jaguars have it. Do you have one in your S type?

Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Thanks Glyn and Jeff. I have no problem running regular fuel hose and clamps where the factory nylon lines have issues, such as the pump outlet hoses to which Jeff refers. But for that top-of-tank one, the replacement ferule is exactly what I'm thinking. I probably have some in my hardware drawers.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
plumbing seals! haha!

Glyn, there is a water drain pipe for the cowl vent on the firewall.

connecting to it is a 90 degree hose facing the ground wiith a membrane seal at the end of the hose which opens with the weight of water, then it closes after water is emptied.

can't find it in the Parts Manual. All Jaguars have it. Do you have one in your S type?
Jose, ~ Indeed baby plumbing seals ~ hydraulic ones. The scuttle vent drain tube is molded & drains to below the car. No membrane seal that I know of. It is just pushed onto the large firewall drain nipple. No clamp. Some holding tabs on the lower scuttle/firewall. Yes I have a new one fitted. One of the final engine compartment jobs we did. Part No BD10370

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-12-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pabarlow
Thanks Glyn and Jeff. I have no problem running regular fuel hose and clamps where the factory nylon lines have issues, such as the pump outlet hoses to which Jeff refers. But for that top-of-tank one, the replacement ferule is exactly what I'm thinking. I probably have some in my hardware drawers.
I did a test fit with the brass ferrules & stripped the joint again to ensure they were doing the right job & they were. You don't want gasoline fumes around. Plenty of wiring on the LHS (you can see my new correct black with blue fleck harness in the background. A friend lost a restored Jag to fire because he was too cheap to replace a crumbling wiring harness. Every harness & wire is new on my car. Runs through new grommets with no chafing.) I've tried my best. Insurance will have to cover the rest.

Jaguar has a pretty elaborate breather system on the tanks with that coil/loop of thin nylon tube & then running down the side of the tanks into the airstream under the car. Ensure they don't get blocked.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-13-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 PM

Continued progress on the 3.8S, but I also might be at a major decision point due to a previously mentioned issue.

I finished up with the fuel tanks, pumps, hoses and fittings, and I think everything is 100% there now. I resolved an issue (with the help of these forums) in which the auxiliary starting carburetor was overflowing with gas - yes, front carb float height set wrong, so reset both front and rear. Fixing that further improved the engine tuning overall, of course, as did another couple of hours of work to get the throttle linkage set up just right. I really like how this motor runs and the car drives.

I'm making progress on engine oil leaks - there doesn't yet seem to be anything really major there.

But that transmission... I mentioned it was leaking badly, and it isn't the wishful pan. It might be the front main seal, though I gather there are other options too. I really was hoping not to have to pull the motor and transmission. But it can't go on in its current state. Rear diff is leaking a little, too, though I'm more comfortable dealing with that.

Last edited by Pabarlow; 10-16-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

Ah yes ~ turn on the ignition & the pumps don't stop running as they should when they come up to pressure & you know something is overflowing ~ ever growing puddle of gas under the car.

You are steaming ahead!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-16-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello,
I see you have a DG250 automatic transmission ( looking at the Dipstick )
I have a S-type also, original RHD, changed to LHD,( not very difficult to change, but steering house and dash needed.)
Also electrical not all to diffucult to do ( only one wire was to short, rh flasher light )
Anyway, that DG250 will always leak, how hard I tried, never got it leak free ( all seals and gaskets replaced twice! )
I now have converted to a GM T700R4 using John's car kit ( from the US )
Less revs at the highway, and no leaks anymore!.

Regards,
Peter Jan

Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the note, Peter. I do think, that if changing the accessible seals with the transmission in the car does not provide significant improvement, and therefore the motor/trans need to come out, then I think I would go ahead with the "sure fire" swap rather than mess around with the DG-250. That said, I think the DG transmissions are good units and function well, when they can contain themselves!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:38 PM

While psyching myself up for tackling some oil leaks (much time to be spent on my back under the car), I decided instead to re-bush the steering column. Also took the opportunity to check on the heater/ventilation controls and re-route some non-factory stereo wiring. Everything looks good and original up in the dash.
(I am trying to post photos but it just isn't working for me today...)

Last edited by Pabarlow; 10-22-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:35 PM

Testing photo upload again...

Old 10-29-2018, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

Explain the problem you are having with pics, You should go to Browse your Device, click & download the pics you want. You will see them upload as large thumbnails in sequence with running %age of download complete (allow each download to complete ~ sometimes stick at 99% then you have to start again). You can then revise the sequence should you wish. Then hit the Upload button top RH Corner to place them in your post.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-29-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:52 PM

The issue appears to be related to my ISP or modem. As evidenced by the beginning of this thread, and the many photos uploaded to my prior XJ6 thread, I usually don't have an issue. What's happening the last few weeks is that I browse and select the photos, then get the rapid count to 100% complete upload, can see the photo(s) on that upload page, can change the order and tag them, etc. It's just that when I hit the "Upload" button in the top RH corner, it comes back to the post edit page, no errors, but no photos. I hit "preview post" to make sure, but still not there.

I've tried this in the Google Chrome browser, and Microsoft Edge, and on the Samsung browser on my phone, all with the same result - if I'm connected to my home wi-fi. However, I just tried my phone over my cellular connection, and that seems to work...

Old 10-29-2018, 11:56 PM

Steering column removal.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:15 AM

Steering column cleaned up and new bushings installed top and bottom. Steering was "sticky" for the first 20 miles or so, but feels great now.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry about your pic issues. We are always trying to help people at MBWorld. (also Internet Brands forum)

New column bushes make such a difference. Just check your horn connection before you bolt everything up. It can play up & you don't want to have to remove again.

Love your attentive pooch.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-30-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:09 AM

I took extra care and cleaned up the horn connections, and that works fine. What I lost in the process, oddly, is the interior turn signal indicators beside the tranmission gear indicator! Turn signals themselves work fine. I've had the column covers off three times since, checked the wiring connections for both the those turn/transmission lights and the column, and of course tested the bulbs. I haven't cross referenced the wiring diagram yet, but will - it seems so obvious, but I clearly I missed something.

Last edited by Pabarlow; 10-30-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 1967 3.8S Refurbishment