MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Brake - Vacuum Adavance ? -> Replace with Standard Gas Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brake - Vacuum Adavance ? -> Replace with Standard Gas Hose?

I've been working on the inside of the Daimler and went to clean out the radiator reserve anti-freeze reservoir mounted inside the engine compartment. After removing the reservoir from its wire holder, I spied a rotten, broken-off piece of braided hose below that seemed to attach to the brake pump via a three-way intersection.

The braided hose sat center behind the rear engine between both carburetors and is attached to the protrusion via a hose clamp. The line then went from the engine directly to the fore-mentioned three-way intersection.

I went to a local British Auto supply store with the rotted hose for replacement. Was told that this type of braided hose isn't made anymore. Was told I can use a standard gas hose. Interestingly, the car person told me that someone wanted this exact type of hose about a week earlier for an Austin Martin so that car can be authentically stock.... rather odd....

So the rotten hose was replaced with a standard gas hose.

Is this acceptable? Or is this a specific type of hose?
And is this hose to the Brake's Vacuum Advance?

Attached Thumbnails Brake - Vacuum Adavance ?  -> Replace with Standard Gas Hose?-brake3.jpg   Brake - Vacuum Adavance ?  -> Replace with Standard Gas Hose?-brake5.jpg   Brake - Vacuum Adavance ?  -> Replace with Standard Gas Hose?-brake6.jpg  
Old 10-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here are pictures of the three-way splitter/intersection and the inlet protrusion that goes into what I believe is the brake pump.

I replaced all the lines. Glad I did remove the anti-freeze reserviour. There weren't any hose clamps on many of these hoses!

Attached Thumbnails Brake - Vacuum Adavance ?  -> Replace with Standard Gas Hose?-brak3.jpg   Brake - Vacuum Adavance ?  -> Replace with Standard Gas Hose?-brake.jpg  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 795 Posts

Since no one else answered yet, ill give my 2 cents. If it IS just a vacuum line, then you should be fine with that as long as you can stand the judges counting off for non originality. If it has brake fluid, then I would still think its fine since its fuel hose. For just vacuum, you would really only need the hose to be stiff enough to hold up to engine vacuum which fuel line certainly would. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,782 Likes on 7,113 Posts

I agree that the cloth covered hose is not required

However, if the cloth covered stuff tickles your fancy, it isn't hard to find. Just Google 'cloth covered vacuum hose' or 'cloth covered fuel hose'

Here's one example of many

GermanAutoParts.com

Cheers
DD