MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Cam oil feed line...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:44 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Cam oil feed line...

Okay, I've heard it before, an old Jaguar that doesn't leak oil has no oil in it.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about the cam cover gaskets and you guys were very polite and did your best to help me without making me feel like a dummy.

I replaced the cam cover gaskets and it was a tedious job. The old gaskets looked like they were glued on with shellac. It took a few hours to remove the old gasket material and clean the surfaces, but I persevered and the new gaskets are not leaking.

I am still leaking oil near the rear of the cam covers and I am quite sure it is coming from the cam oil line (see attachment). There are six sealing washers that most likely need to be replaced.

I cannot see how to do this since there is barely any room to work. So, am I correct in assuming that this is a job that would have to be done when the engine is out of the car?

Cheers,

Stu

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cam oil feed.pdf (1.06 MB, 131 views)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello mate and greetings from across the fence.

Sorry I missed your post about camshaft cover gaskets. They, and the even more infamous sump gaskets were all originally made of cork so, once impregnated with hot oil, they leaked. Tightening of fixings made most leak faster . . . or warped the cam covers. Some purists may cringe but all such gaskets on our cars went straight to the bin . . . isn't that the reason Permatex 2 was invented. Our engines did not leak so this became our costly, but reliable, go-to solution.

Now, as to the oil feed line to the cams, the 3 banjo bolts, each of which has a pair of thin washers (6 in total, as you say). Here you have a doable problem (the 2 upper connections) and a really challenging problem (lower connection). Invariably, neither the pipe (unless crushed) nor its fittings or banjo bolts themselves are the problem. It is usually those thin metal washers that years of over-tightening, nicking, scratching and heat hardening all eventually result in leaks.

My priority would be to locate the leak(s) more precisely. Bonnet off is a given. Suggest you make up an absorbent rag wedge that you can place firmly around the pipe somewhat midway between upper and lower ends. Clean and dry the areas around all 3 banjo connections and give it the car several good runs . . . may take several days because you want "cold> hot for quite a run>cold" cycles.

To brighten your day, I can tell you that despite appearances, you can loosen the upper banjo bolts and remove the cam-side washers. Now to darken your day, you find you can not remove the banjo bolts with line in situ. Perhaps you can do so by flexing the pipe sideways sufficient to slide out the banjo bolts and the remaining washer for each. I preferred the impossible . . . tackling the lower banjo bolt connection, then sliding the pipe down and out from under car. A trained pet snake would be a very valuable assistant!

Perhaps the leak(s) are confined to the upper connections only. Indeed, you may even find that this oil feed is entirely innocent! My go-to culprit was always the "half moon" seal that fitted into the cam cover and on the rear plug . . . another prime candidate for our solution in a bottle. In either event, if you can avoid removing the pipe at its lower end, sparing use of Permatex 2 or similar to upper banjo washers (each side) is a magic cure.

Please advise your progress . . . and watch your knuckles.
Best wishes,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
blot3.8 (03-27-2018), StuG (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

I think Ken nailed this for you

The following 2 users liked this post by TilleyJon:
cat_as_trophy (03-29-2018), StuG (03-27-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 01:20 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Please advise your progress . . . and watch your knuckles.
Best wishes,

Ken

I will let you know how it goes when I decide to tackle this job. At the moment, my 70 year old back is still recovering from leaning over the engine bay too much in the past two weeks.

Stu

Last edited by StuG; 03-29-2018 at 01:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 AM
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I managed to remove the one in mine albeit unintentionally. Hadn't realised it was there when I used a couple of bottle jacks to remove the cylinder head.

needless to say it didn't survive intact...

Old 03-29-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

I think that falls into "Oops" territory . . . time for adult beverages and a wee little cry!

Console yourself by knowing that new replacement won't leak!

Cheers,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
StuG (03-29-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 04:57 AM
Banned

Not wrong! Fortunately it is replaceable.. Although I've just realised I should order new washers for it..

How's the weather down under? I'm missing that at the moment, I used to ride through Inverell occasionally on my way up north when I owned sportsbikes..

Old 03-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Weather starting to turn here . . . still hot days but somewhat cooler nights. Inverell misses you mate but we gotta do what we gotta do. The drive north via Tenterfield & Warwick into Stu's territory around Brisbane is still a grand tour that gives any Jaguar a pleasant purr. How's Londinium?

Cheers,

Ken

Old 03-31-2018, 05:02 AM
Banned

Raining.... again...... I wish I had a garage....

Old 03-31-2018, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Just dried up here, should be clear in Londinium by about 4PM !