XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fuel Feed line

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Fuel Feed line

I recently bought an XJ8 LWB, and on getting home I noticed a smell of petrol.
I jacked the car up and took of the rear wheel on the left hand side to access the line from the tank to the filter.
What I found was that some previous owner must have had a problem in that area and had cut out a small piece of the pipe and replaced it with a clear plastic pipe and jubilee clips at either end. The plastic pipe obviously wasn't petrol grade as a combination of the attack from the petrol and the heat from the exhaust caused the plastic pipe to decay to the point that it was leaking.
I have to replace this pipe. The end at the fuel filter seems OK, but where does the feed pipe exit from the tank? I assumed it must from the top of the tank, but I can't see where the plastic pipe furthest from the filter goes to. I can just see the jubilee clip holding it onto, I assume the pipe that goes to the tank. Is this a DIY job or is it easier and quicker at the local Jag Man???

Bill W

Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Someone took a dangerous short cut. Hard to believe that that tubing held the 90 psi fuel pressure.

Here is an excellent write up on the fuel pump replacement which, short of replacing the actual pump, you are going to have to do.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...eplacement.pdf

I will have to leave it to you to make the DIY decision.

The following users liked this post:
Heliwilly (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

The pipe exits the tank at the bottom, just above the differential input flange. There is a quick release(ha!)fitting that retains it. I found it necessary to remove the driveshaft from the input flange to get my hands in there to release it.
If the patch is in an accessible area you could use compression fittings to mend the pipe, not ideal buy properly done should cope with fuel system pressure.
The fellow who did your repair should be keel hauled. I'm glad you didn't find about it the hard way.

Heliwilly (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Default Fuel Feed line

Hi ross1 and test point, Excellent information, especially the write - up.
I was wondering about removing the rear seat back and cut a hole in the appropriate place, to give access to both the feed and return lines.
As I only have access to axle stands and a hydraulic jack, it is looking more and more like I will ship it out to the local Jag Independent Garage.....50% cheaper than the local Jag Dealership

Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Heliwilly
Hi ross1 and test point, Excellent information, especially the write - up.
I was wondering about removing the rear seat back and cut a hole in the appropriate place, to give access to both the feed and return lines.
As I only have access to axle stands and a hydraulic jack, it is looking more and more like I will ship it out to the local Jag Independent Garage.....50% cheaper than the local Jag Dealership

I've only done the job once on my own car and that was a couple of years ago. I'm not certain cutting a hole in the floor would get you access but even if it did is a poor way about it.
It is "tedious" from underneath but certainly do-able. I did it on my back with out any special tools other than a cheap set of plastic fuel line release thingamajigs.

Nothing wrong with patching the line if executed properly.
I'm guessing your pump was changed and the guy couldn't manage to get the line disconnected at the tank bottom. It ain't rocket science, if I can do it you can too.
Good luck.

Last edited by ross1; 07-13-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:30 AM
Default Fuel Feed Line

Hi ross1,

I Have been doing my own car repairs since the mid '50's
but as I am now in my 70's I was looking for an easier way.
Access to a 4-poster lift would be ideal.
I think I will give my local Jagman a call this morning.
What brand of plastic fuel line release thingamajigs ?

Thanks

Bill W.

Last edited by Heliwilly; 07-14-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Missed out information
Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Hi ross1,

Thanks,

Bill W.
Hello Bill,
There is an easier way to gain access to the fittings which even if you elect to have the indy do the work will be useful for him.
You can drop thew rear susp. by loosening off the front bushing bolts of the 'A' frame which will allow another 50mm of room to gain access to the qick dissconnect fittings.
Those tools are just a generic set available anywhere....some people fashion a peice of pipe to go over the line and help push the disconnect a bit easier.

Heliwilly (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 AM

Hi ross1,

Thanks

Bill W.
The set I have is sold by Lisle, most parts stores have their stuff hanging in blister packs. These are the very low end of this sort of tool. I tried fashioning a home made one from plastic pipe but failed. the longer reach would have been nice.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 AM
Default Fuel Feed Line

Xjay8,

You mention dropping the 'A' Frame. I have various diagrams on the workshop CD, they are numbered beginning with an E followed by 5 numbers,
For example, E32305. Could you point out which diagram refers to the 'A' frame, you suggest dropping, to gain a couple of inches more room to get at the fuel feed line.

Thanks

Bill W