MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Mk 1: Solex removed, SU installed, linkage does not work

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:50 PM
BGC
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mk 1: Solex removed, SU installed, linkage does not work

My '56 Mk 1 (manual trans, 2.4, LHD), originally had Solex carbs. The previous owner installed a different Manifold (Part C14809), HD6 carbs and linkage before abandoning his project.I can not get full throttle because the ball on the end of the bell crank lever hits the horizontal control rod below it.The linkage I have on the car is approximately 15 ½” in length measured from the cross shaft at the firewall to the mounting point on the manifold. I also have an extra linkage device (includes bell crank lever, control rod, steady bar) in a parts box that measures 11 7/8”.I don’t know if the linkage, as installed, is correct and needs a slight modification or, if it’s the wrong linkage.There are several shapes of bell crank lever in the parts diagrams for different Mk 1 & 2 cars. I have extra bell crank levers with angles of 70 degrees and 110 degrees. The one currently on my Mk 1 is 110 degrees.The Control rods also changed through various models. Most have their attachment ends turned 90 degrees in the opposite direction. The Mk 1 3.4 have the attachment ends turned in the same direction. My attachment rod has ends both pointing in the same direction.I've searched the archives, parts/service books, Joe Curtos website and the JDHT online parts catalogs looking for a photos/drawings of the proper linkage set up.

Does anyone have photos or advice regarding the linkage I need for the SU carbs?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

All 2.4 litre Mark 1 and 2 cars had the Solex carbs and operating linkage. However when the 240 came out it had SUs. Maybe you should look on the 240 layout and try to copy this as much as possible.

Mark 1 cars with the 3.4 litre engine, and all Mark 2 cars with 3.4 and 3.8 litre engines had SU carburettors. Don't forget that the 2.4 litre block is about 2" less in height than the larger engines, so any vertical rod in the linkage will reflect that difference.

The SNG Barratt website has parts drawings on it, but I suspect won't have the parts themselves.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

All 2.4 litre Mark 1 and 2 cars had the Solex carbs and operating linkage. However when the 240 came out it had SUs. Maybe you should look on the 240 layout and try to copy this as much as possible.

Mark 1 cars with the 3.4 litre engine, and all Mark 2 cars with 3.4 and 3.8 litre engines had SU carburettors. Don't forget that the 2.4 litre block is about 2" less in height than the larger engines, so any vertical rod in the linkage will reflect that difference.

The SNG Barratt website has parts drawings on it, but I suspect won't have the parts themselves.
Here is a typical layout, there are others.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Eng...-SECOND%20TYPE

Old 02-15-2018, 12:16 AM
BGC

Thanks for your response. I did not know there was a height difference between the 2.4 and 3.4 engine block.

Is the 240 a rebadged Mk1 2.4 with identical engine block?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

BGC the post stating that all 2.4L saloons were Solex is partly correct. Jaguar issued a Tuning Modification catalog (E/112) very early on and it is our understanding 2.4L cars could be special ordered in one of 4 stages of tune--standard, Stage one and 2 and Stage 3 which replaced the head and carbs with SU. Included in the manual is the list of accelerator controls needed which for LHD are C.12322 "control rod lower assy', C.11651 "Connecting link assy", C.12315 "Pivot steady', C12286 Bell Crank Assy" 302 "control Rod Assy, 310 "Throttle Return Spring. Hopefully this helps as they are all standard parts. For further information please contact the Coventry Foundation www.coventryfoundation.org or on Facebook. Best of luck and hopefully you have a stage 3 car which if set up correctly the factory claimed a power incerase from 112 B.H.P. to 150 B.H.P. Quite a difference. Of course there were a lot of other modifications which allowed the cars to meet Category (1) Group (3) of the F.I.A. appendix J. Best of luck.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

George, when did the Tuning Mod Catalog come out ? And can you publish it's content ?

It would be really interesting to see the differences in tuning state and I can't find a copy of E/112 online.

BGC - that manifold is off a Mk2 3.8 engine, the part no's George has kindly listed above are all for an early Mk1 3.4 setup, if you check the parts book for those before chassis no 987408 that should show what that setup was, if that worked for the 2.4 as per George's info then it should work on yours, but there may be an issue with the manifold, you may need to compare the manifold for the Mk1 3.4 to the Mk2 3.8 to see if the position of the carbs would be affected, they will probably be the same distance from the firewall, but there may be a difference in the distance from the side of the head, but this will most likely be minimal.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:50 AM

There is no date on the Tuning Manual but the letter that came with it from Jaguar is dated 13 August 1957 to Messrs. E.K. Lund in Coppull from J.J Lewett-Prinsep of the service Dept. I have no right to post it. Your comment re: the manifold is apt as the manifold suggested is C.12438. There are many parts I did not include as the question was toward linkage. It is obvious these "kits" were available as the kit cost are listed. The kit for Stage three engine was 225/8/1. There were also kits for the exhaust,clutch,Gearbox,steering, and suspension.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by George Camp
There is no date on the Tuning Manual but the letter that came with it from Jaguar is dated 13 August 1957 to Messrs. E.K. Lund in Coppull from J.J Lewett-Prinsep of the service Dept. I have no right to post it. Your comment re: the manifold is apt as the manifold suggested is C.12438. There are many parts I did not include as the question was toward linkage. It is obvious these "kits" were available as the kit cost are listed. The kit for Stage three engine was 225/8/1. There were also kits for the exhaust,clutch,Gearbox,steering, and suspension.

Thanks George, if you are concerned about copyright, the protection on a document published in 1957 ran out in 2007 (50 years from date of first publication) the 50 year rule was extended to 70 years in the 1988 act, so anything published before Dec 1967 no longer has copyright protection and can be freely reproduced, personally I would still credit the Author as I feel it is respectful.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:15 PM
BGC

Thanks for the information. I searched for the Stage 3 Tuning Data also, starting with the Coventry Foundation, have not found details on the web - yet. I believe the previous owner of my car may have been attempting a Stage 3 or, did not know what he was doing and would have encountered problems without the full Stage 3 package installed. I'm working on a "basket case" with 35 boxes of parts plus restored wood, chrome and a parts car (no motor in parts car.)

I think "fair use" and an educational purpose might trump copyright, if one exists. But, if the Coventry Foundation owns the document I assume the Board of Directors will have to determine if contents can be released.

One thing I have discovered about Stage 3 that will affect my project: I can not use my existing exhaust pipe.

I guy in Finland wrote (on a different website) in 2008:

"The list of stage 3 items is very long if you plan to do it exactly as Jaguar had planned it to be made.

Stage three is quite radical tuning and you could achieve 150 bhp/6000 rpm. Here are some picks from the list:

1. B-Type cylinder head assembly (S.D.1051). Stage3 includes 3/8" high lift camshafts etc. and I assume that B-Type already have them.
2. With HD6 use inlet manifolds C.12312 (front) and C.123123 (rear). Use needle type T.O [Did Jaguar make a split intake manifold?]
3. Replace distributor with Lucas C.13428
4. Set static ignition to 5 deg BTDC
5. Fit Champion NA8 plugs
6. Note: You must fit a twin exhaust system!!"

And, Jaguar Service Bulletin 271 has some of the the same info.

George, can you confirm items #2 (manifolds) and #5 (plugs) above?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BGC
Thanks for your response. I did not know there was a height difference between the 2.4 and 3.4 engine block.

Is the 240 a rebadged Mk1 2.4 with identical engine block?

Thanks
Same block, different head and carbs. The 240 would do a genuine 100 mph, the 2.4s wouldn't so Jaguar never released them for official road testing in the UK. My 2.4 Mark 2 was lovely; the engine was a little turbine, really smooth. A nice drive if you're not after a lot of performance. Same bore as the 3.4 with a much shorter stroke. Car was identical in every way to the larger engined cars, there were no trim differences.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

NA8 plugs would make sense, they are a hotter plug, and are listed as "Sports and Racing" in the reference book, I can't find any info on the Manifolds yet, hopefully George will post the Catalog/Manual for all the info.

Historically interesting info in that document that many Enthusiasts would find informative.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Tilly I already said I do not have the right to post it. Despite your "Legal Zoom" comments we have agreements and understandings in place with various "Official" agencies. So even if your comments are correct we will not break those agreements and post on line. Sorry.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member

No Problem George, how does an enthusiast get to see any of these documents that get archived and saved , is there any mechanism in place that allows that ?

It is an essential historic role that is required to ensure these documents get preserved, but not of any benefit to other enthusiasts if one can never reference such documents, as I say is there any mechanism that we can use to do so ?

Thanks for your assistance George.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:19 AM

Tilly that is the function of the JHT in the UK. In the US/NA we have the NA Jaguar Archives and the Coventry Foundation. None of those organizations are dead storage but neither are they going to post everything to the web. Have you asked the JHT for a copy? You know the publication number-but here is the way it goes on the web. A fellow asks a question and is provided the answer. Others want even more. In this case a debate ensues over rights and then a plea from a different perspective. tilly there are a lot of publications and resources that are available that will never be on the web but are available through the sources named.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

That is the mechanism I wanted to know, thank you George

Regarding the second part re the web, surely that is the whole point of a forum, to share knowledge, get and give advice.

Any chance you confirm the OP's question re manifold part no's and spark plugs, thank you.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:20 PM

The OP is satisfied i believe!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Apologies George, I can't see that you had responded to his post #9 above, you must have answered by PM to him directly and not on this thread.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 AM
BGC

Appreciate all of the comments and assistance.

The answer to my question in #9 above is:

There is no split manifold, The manifold is C12438. The part numbers I quoted are for the HD6 carbs C12312 (front) and C12313 (rear).

The plugs are Champion NA8

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
TilleyJon (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BGC
Appreciate all of the comments and assistance.

The answer to my question in #9 above is:

There is no split manifold, The manifold is C12438. The part numbers I quoted are for the HD6 carbs C12312 (front) and C12313 (rear).

The plugs are Champion NA8

Thanks
Are those manifold numbers you quoted for the HD6 listed in the Tuning Manual, or did you get the numbers from another source ? Do you know if they are special manifolds or were they used on any other Jags ?

Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

C12438 inlet manifold appears to be used on the XK150 engine.

Quick Reply: Mk 1: Solex removed, SU installed, linkage does not work