MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Daimler 250 V8 alternator conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daimler 250 V8 alternator conversion

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1964 Daimler 250 V8.
The car is in great condition but unfortunately had corroded water jackets in the heads so is undergoing a complete egine rebuild. I've been doing my research and am learning the ins and outs of these wonderful cars slowly as I go.
Whilst in tear down - I'm looking at making some recommended upgrades - including converting the factory dynamo to an alternator. I can get most parts and understand the process involved but am finding it difficult to locate a bracket for this conversion. Does anyone know where I can source one - or if there is a direct fit replacement from an alternative make or model vehicle/engine?
I've had a quote for $750+ gst for a kit inclusive of an alternator, amp gauge shunt and fabricated steel bracket but this seems a bit steep. I can get an alternator for $180 and I'd rather fabricate my own bracket if I can't find one or something that will fit.

If there is a direct bolt on or something I can modify this is obviously the preferred choice.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance - Nick.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 487 Posts

What ever you do, use the rubber mounted Jaguar coupling that links the alternator to the back of the power steering pump.
The last time I checked, the one from XK's is metal on metal, and it wears it pretty quick.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

NMav unless you are seeking a power (electrical) gain for some unknown reason putting an alternator in your car is not exactly an upgrade. In our family we have a MK2 (340 US) with approved add on AC. Even with that drain the stock generator is able to keep up unless the conditions are severe (night--hot--rain--and stop and go traffic). With that in mind an alternator will not be necessary. A generator is simpler than an alternator and the charging system is simpler (more simple?). It is your call but I would consider just checking what I have! Oh yes and the shop manuals will still be useful and the next owner will thank you.

The following users liked this post:
csbush (05-27-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Alternator replacement.

Hi nmav0709,
I agree with George. Does your car have the c40L generator the car came with? L standing for long body and more out put. My car only has the c40 generator and Its ok for keeping the battery charged. I'd save the money and keep it for the future. I have been amazed at what I have had to spend money on to keep my 54 year old Daimler on the road.
Regards,
David B.
PS I live in Noosa Qld.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

First question is what setup do you have? Do you have power steering ? I can't see you mentioned that in the post, but I may have missed something, there are a couple of ways that you may be able to do this fairly simply, maybe you could post some pictures of the arrangement you have at present.

George is correct in asking why you need/want to convert, whilst the generator is simpler by design, the regulator system is not as slick, it is an electro/mechanical setup which although pretty reliable, is not easy to adjust, and the generator output is much less at low revs.

If you are intending on requiring a larger current output, you need to assess the existing wiring, the wiring on these old cars is not exactly state of the art, and is 50 years old, so if adding extra load, you need to carefully consider if the existing wiring is up to the job otherwise you may be wise to invest in a fire extinguisher just in case !

Old 05-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

FYI the Daimler Spares club in Christchurch are in the process of casting new heads for the 2.5 V8 if yours are too far gone.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:28 AM

I don't have power steering and the rest of the setup is fairly stock with the exception of electronic ignition which has been upgraded in the past from the old points setup. The car is also negative earth but I'm unsure if these cars were positive or negative from factory.
The current dynamo unit (C39 - 12V) is very raggedy and corroded and was causing issues before the motor was torn down. Hence I wish to upgrade and go the alternator route just for improved tractability and reliability.

I've managed to locate a supplier that provides dynamos but with alternator internals and pre-wired for negative earth so direct bolt in replacement with no other work necessary. As with everything else on the car I intend to keep the original dynamo in case I ever sell the vehicle but I do not see that happening as I'm completely smitten with it and got it for a bargain.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:32 AM

Wow recasts? That's impressive as I didn't think that over 50 years later that someone would be able to facilitate the means of producing them again. I've had mine reconditioned for fairly cheap ($800AUD for the pair) which included welding of the corroded water jackets and the machining work. I also purchased stainless valves for good measure.

How do I get in contact with the Daimler Spares Club? I'd like to get a spare pair of bare heads just to have on hand if it's cost effective enough to do so as I imagine these little alloy beauties will become much rarer in future.

Last edited by nmav0709; 05-27-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Daimler Spares Club NZ.

Daimler Spares Club NZ.
Daimler Jaguar Owners ? Spare Parts Club ? New Zealand ? Daimler Jaguar Owners ? Spare Parts Club ? New Zealand
Daimler and Lanchester Owners in NZ spare parts clun inc.
Po Box 43 Belfast NZ.
There is a joining fee and annual membership fee. About $ 70 aud all up.
They will send a welcome pack on membership ( may take 2 weeks ) included is a good parts catalogue.
Regards,
David B.

The following users liked this post:
nmav0709 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 05:21 AM

Fantastic - I will look them up. Thanks David.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:36 AM
Default Alternator swap

Hi
can you share the supplier of the alternator within the original dynamo casing.
Originally Posted by nmav0709
I don't have power steering and the rest of the setup is fairly stock with the exception of electronic ignition which has been upgraded in the past from the old points setup. The car is also negative earth but I'm unsure if these cars were positive or negative from factory.
The current dynamo unit (C39 - 12V) is very raggedy and corroded and was causing issues before the motor was torn down. Hence I wish to upgrade and go the alternator route just for improved tractability and reliability.

I've managed to locate a supplier that provides dynamos but with alternator internals and pre-wired for negative earth so direct bolt in replacement with no other work necessary. As with everything else on the car I intend to keep the original dynamo in case I ever sell the vehicle but I do not see that happening as I'm completely smitten with it and got it for a bargain.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Niz Hasham
Hi
can you share the supplier of the alternator within the original dynamo casing.
Where are you in the World, that will help with supplier suggestions.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 AM

Sorry never thought of that!!
I’m in the uk
thanks
Niz

Originally Posted by TilleyJon
Where are you in the World, that will help with supplier suggestions.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member